Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hats for "your sound"

User Info Menu

Default Hats for "your sound"

Recently found the hi-hats I've been hearing in my head for a long time. I've been close in the past, but these nail what I've wanted for "my sound". Warm tone, medium pitch, soft feel, extremely responsive, and being pretty thin (both are under 800 grams), they put out a warm dirty white noise sound instead of a sharper, clean, crisp sizzle. I've gone through so many hats and have never quite been able to get here, not even with K's. Here are the new hats - Late 50's, dirty, stained, patina'd, played-in 14" thin Zildjian hats.

What's your story about finding the hi-hats that help create "your sound"?

[IMG][/IMG]

User Info Menu

Default Re: Hats for "your sound"

I've got a set almost identical to those. Old 14" Zildjians, pretty light and thin. They sound great closed, but not so good open. I used my Paiste SE Sigs for awhile, but they were too bright. I then used a pair of 16" B8 crash cymbals as hats (thin top/rock bottom). Those sounded fantastic open AND closed, but they felt too heavy under foot. Last week I pulled out my old Zildjian "quick beat" hats....now I'm wondering why I ever tried anything else.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

My hi-hat journey started with ZBT's (dark sound, but not unpleasantly so for the hi-hats and ride). I hated the ZBT crashes, but could live with the hi-hats and the ride, so it took me a while to get to the point where I began to search for my hi-hat sound. I went to Fork's Drum Closet in Nashville, and when looking around, I auditioned a pair of 13" Sabian HHX Evolution hi-hats. I thought I'd died and gone to heaven, but didn't have the room in my budget to get them. I put them down on my mental list for future purchase. I still wanted to move on from the ZBT's, so I found a set of 14" Sabian Vault hi-hats that I liked, and they were a deeply discounted set from behind the counter. The price was right, and they were a big step up from the ZBT's. They had a nice warm sound (still have them), but eventually I wanted something that cut through the mix a little better (I had started playing in a band with some pastors at this time). I decided to give the 14" Sabian AAX Studio hats a try. I liked what I heard, and they are still my go-to hi-hats, although as I said, I still have the Sabian Vaults for when it hits me that I want something warmer. So far it hasn't happened, but I won't let go of the Vaults.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

There was one time I was at Sam Ash, and I think we were getting my sister reeds for her clarinet. At least, that was the mission. As I am wont to do, I snuck into the drumming area just to see what was there with no intention of buying anything, but still a decent amount of dough.

I went into the "little" area they had for cymbals and started tapping around with my finger, just to see, again, what they had. Lots of pretty things, but nothing I was looking for. And then I got to the hats, and on just about the last one, I heard a sound I'd always wanted to hear. A thin enough "tick" to be good, but not fragile. My dream sound for hats. I ducked my head underneath to expect something like 5 grand or something, even 2 or 300.

$55.

I went to the counter, presented my card, told the man what I wanted, and that's how I got an almost unused pair of Zildjian ZXT hats. They've replaced my Meinl ones and have been there since. I still haven't gotten over their sound, as I thought I might have by now.

The only deal I've made better than that is the time I recently bought the original Japanese Pokemon Red for 30 pounds.
    PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY
    TERROROUS TENORS
    TAMAHOLIC
    RIP frank. You'll never be forgotten.
    Post by Yohin: "I never say anything good enough for anyone's sig."

User Info Menu

Somebody stole my sound decades ago. I just assumed it was a conspiracy to get my sound.

Life is tough and Fate is cruel when someone has your sound.

Clotho, Lachesis, or Atropos, 1 of them has my hats, ergo, my sound, and now that I know that I can indeed have a "sound", I want my hats back.

User Info Menu

Sometime around 1990, I bought a pair of "K" Zildjian Dark hats when I was doing a lot of studio work..............they are 13-inch.

I have since traded away all other hats and use these exclusively.
    They are simply the greatest sound I've ever had.
    Will never use anything else.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

For as long as I can remember, I've always played the Zildjian A New Beats.

I first bought a pair of 14" New Beats new back in the late 70's. I loved their open and closed sound but they didn't seem to have that heavy, tight chick sound that I was looking for.

I acquired a set of used 13" A New Beats in the early 80's. While I liked the tight sound that they had overall, I preferred the 14" hats so I sold them.

I acquired a set of used 15" A New Beats in the mid 80's. While I liked how these worked for the heavier stuff, I didn't really like the feel of them so I sold them and went back to the 14" hats.

Finally, in the late 80's, I bought a pair of the heavier 14" A New Beats and have been using them ever since. Their sound fit in perfectly with every type of music situation that I played in since then and the powerful splash/wash and glorious chick are something to die for. I still use them to this day.

So, "my sound" appears to be my late 80's model 14" Zildjian A New Beats ...
    Last edited by dangermoney; 11-23-2016 at 08:48 AM.

User Info Menu

I started many moons ago with a pair of 14 inch k hats. I played them for many years in different shows and have recorded with them as well. They seem to work for every musical situation. A couple years ago I was offered a pair of Meinl dark hats for $75. I couldn't pass up that deal. While they sound good, and have plenty of cut, I still liked the k's more. Then maybe 6 months ago, I popped into a local shop with the intention of picking up a pair of 15 inch k light hats. But as luck would have it, they had the 15 inch keropes on sale for a deal that I couldn't walk away from. Those are my new go to hats. I love the darkness to them, and the feel of the bigger cymbals under the stick. I'm not giving up on the other two pairs in the collection, but the keropes are my go to hats now.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    Somebody stole my sound decades ago. I just assumed it was a conspiracy to get my sound.

Clotho, Lachesis, or Atropos, 1 of them has my hats, ergo, my sound, and now that I know that I can indeed have a "sound", I want my hats back.
    That's pretty deep Rick...quite Thucydides like really!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by funkyruss View Post
    That's pretty deep Rick...quite Thucydides like really!

Abyssus abyssum invocate

Cuiusvis hominis est errare, nullius nisi insipientis in errore perseverare.

User Info Menu

Abyssus abyssum invocate

Exactly what I was thinking!

User Info Menu

Abyssus abyssum invocate

That's what I'm talking about. And now i'm done with that.

User Info Menu

As I am a noob, I don't know what my "sound" is yet, but I know that I am much happier now that I have a set of Zildjian Custom A hats. I started off with ZBT hats, and even though I am new, I knew they sounded horrible.
    Gretsch USA Custom 22x18, 12x9, 13x10, 14x14, 16x16, 14x5.5 Rosewood Zildjian 14" New Beats, Zildjian 20" A Medium Ride, Sabian 18" Paragon Crash, Zildjian 16" Medium Thin Crash Tama Iron Cobra Single Pedal

Pearl Masters Studio Birch (MBX) 22x16, 10x10, 12x10, 13x11, 16x16, 14x6.5 in White Mist. Zildjian A Custom Hats, Sabian 22 AA with Rivets, Stagg 20" Ghengis Ride, Dream Contact Crashes 16" & 17" Pearl P2002B Double Bass Pedal

User Info Menu

Apparently, the expression "As fate would have it" appears to be more literal than it was thought.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

User Info Menu

Abyssus abyssum invocate

Yep, big time fool here!

User Info Menu

I used 14" quick beats for over two decades....................recently bought a set of 15" A Custom Mastersounds and loving them.

User Info Menu

I'm going to be serious now (jump on this cause it doesn't happen often, in fact it hasn't happened since I
    was .................................................. somewhere in the dim, distant, past)

I used a set of hats that had a 15" top and a 14" bottom. It cut through back in the day when the drums really had no mic's.

Now I'm using the Custom A's and I have a set of Meinl hats by the Pearls, and I still have my 15", 14" set.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    Yep, big time fool here!

Et tu PB

User Info Menu

i never found my hihat sound. I got close with a k custom top and an a quick beat bottom. The only cymbal that I have the same sound as in my head is my k custom 18" crash.
    "The chances of being attacked and killed by a terrorist are less than the chances of being attacked and killed by your own heart"
    Carrying the message to Garcia. Today and everyday.
    Temple Beth Snare Buzz-Head Rabbi

User Info Menu

Abyssus abyssum invocate

It's all Chinese to me.

User Info Menu

Good old Vintage 14" Zildjian A New Beats have serve me well since the 70's when I bought them new.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by inthpktplayer View Post
    It's all Chinese to me.
    [IMG][/IMG]

User Info Menu

I use a set of 14" Zildjian K Constantinoples when I gig with the rock and soul cover band. We mic everything, including the hats for most gigs. That allows me to get sound that I really like and not have to worry about volume.
    -Mike

"We don't stop playing because we grow old.
    We grow old because we stop playing."

"I wish that my playing reminded people of Steve Gadd. But they seem to confuse me with his little known cousin... E."

"Snare drums happen."

User Info Menu

My favourite hihats that I used for a while were a 14" Paiste 2002 crash over a 14" Paiste Alpha medium bottom. They had a nice crispness and felt great to play. Second favourite would be the 14" Sabian HHX click hats, also very nice
    - Zack

User Info Menu

I like more brightness from my hats. my hat history,, Sabian A, Sabian AAX, Zildjian Dyno Beat w/o K top, UFiP Bionic..all 14's

I was happy with the dyno's but the bionics seem more musical and take on a color all their own.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN