Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Announcing: My new band

User Info Menu

Default Announcing: My new band

The last project I'm working with and currently the only one, as I've quit the other 3, is going out on its maiden voyage this weekend.

We are filling in, last minute, at a venue that I was planning on attending for a friends' band. I got notice early this morning from a Facebook post that their event had been cancelled which I had indicated I was going. Probably why I got notice of the cancellation.

About an hour later I received a text from our guitarist asking if I felt ready to do a gig. It turned out it is to replace the other band.

I told them I'd do it.

So this Saturday, I am currently back on the gig circuit. For me it's been four years to the weekend. It's about time!!!!!!
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Default Re: Announcing: My new band

Good luck. Nervous at all? Jazzed? or both?

User Info Menu

Yay. Have fun.

Acoustic & Electronic:
    Pearl Prestige World Series WLX 1988
    Tama Swingstar 1983
    Tama Superstar Hyper-Drive (Birch) 2007
    Ludwig Acrolite Snare 1976
    Ludwig Supraphonic 6.5x14" 2021
    Pearl Sensitone Elite Aluminum 5.5" and 6.5" Snare
    Pearl COB Custom Deluxe [Gladstone] (75-76) Snare
    Love Drum Co. Hammered Steel 5.5" Snare
    Roland TD-1KV

Paiste
    Accent 8"

Paiste Signature:
    6", 10" Splash
    14" Dark Crisp Hi-Hats
    14" Sound Edge Hi-Hats
    16", 17", 18",19", 20" Full Crash
    22" Symphonic Med-Heavy (use as a Ride)

Paiste Formula 602:
    22" Formula 602 Modern Essentials Ride

Paiste 2oo2:
    22" Ride
    16" Crash
    8",10" Splash

Paiste 2oo2 Big Beat:
    15" Hi-Hats
    19", 20", 21" Big Beat Multifunctional

Paiste Sound Formula:
    16" Crash
    20" Full Ride (Frankenstein)

Paiste Twenty:
    16" China

Paiste Alpha (original Swiss made):
    12" Splash

Paiste PST7:
    Medium
    16", 18" Crash
    20" Ride
    14" Hi-Hats

Sabian:
    XS20 18" China
    AA 14" Fusion Hi-Hats

User Info Menu

You'll have a blast. I hope you guys get a packed house ...

User Info Menu

Sweet! Have fun and tell us all about it. Feel free to post videos.

User Info Menu

I joined these guys 3 weeks ago, spent each week going over; Week 1 1st set, week 2 - set 2, week 3 (last week) set 3, tomorrow - Friday set 4...Saturday night - all of them.

Yeah, I'm excited and nervous. Still a half dozen songs that "don't register" in my head when given the title.

We weren't planning on going out for another 4 weeks or so.

Spent every waking moment at home and at work trying to learn them.

I hope to record the event and if anything sounds good you know I'll post it.

Was asked...which kit I was going to use....I haven't even given it much thought yet. Might just take this....

Keeping it simple and easy to mic for the first outing. Plus, the venue is fairly small but will hold a 7 pc with a rack.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    I joined these guys 3 weeks ago, spent each week going over; Week 1 1st set, week 2 - set 2, week 3 (last week) set 3, tomorrow - Friday set 4...Saturday night - all of them.

Yeah, I'm excited and nervous. Still a half dozen songs that "don't register" in my head when given the title.

We weren't planning on going out for another 4 weeks or so.

Spent every waking moment at home and at work trying to learn them.

I hope to record the event and if anything sounds good you know I'll post it.

Was asked...which kit I was going to use....I haven't even given it much thought yet. Might just take this....

Keeping it simple and easy to mic for the first outing. Plus, the venue is fairly small but will hold a 7 pc with a rack.
    Great looking kit Bish! All the best with the new band!

User Info Menu

Awesome brother. All the best to you and the new band. Im hoping to get back out myself one of these days. I miss being on stage.
    Dave

Frank "Fiacovaz" Iacovazzi
    RIP my friend

Proud member of "PHROGGES AQUARIAN ARMY"

User Info Menu

That kit is beautiful! Perfect! Sounds like it's going to be good I've been on hiatus as well my guitar player had 2 surgeries on both his wrists . My side band text me yesterday to play a gig next Friday. Haven't played with them in 5 months I'm nervous and jazzed!

User Info Menu

You play Bish? All this time I thought you were just a drum collector.

Maybe I missed a couple of posts.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    You play Bish? All this time I thought you were just a drum collector.

Maybe I missed a couple of posts.
    I thought he was now a gun collector

User Info Menu

That's great. Have fun and I know you'll knock it out of the park.

User Info Menu

Hahahaha, you guys continue to be my inspiration.

I spent over an hour in the drum room last night going over what I need and what to take. After careful consideration for micing and all aspects of getting gear together I had a change of plans.

I'm actually taking my best set out.

Due to the fact that it already has a ported head for micing the way the sound guy wants it done, it's already tuned, I just have to case them up and then put together my favorite cymbals, this is what is going....

My Zoom Q8 is all charged up and a fresh mem stick so I'm rarin' to go.

Funniest part, was last night in my dreams I was at rehearsal and no one could find a current set list to practice from. A total waste of time.

Glad my home rehearsal time is much more organized.

More after Saturday night.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Like riding a bike..................no problem..................you got this.................have fun.
    I've got a bar gig tonight and our lead singer is bad-sick.............we'll be wingin' it..............woohoo !

Dude, those red sparkle shells are killer beautiful.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Kick some *** bish And how bad is the echoing in that room with the brick walls? My basement was like that i ended up hanging moving blankets in front of the walls.. made a huge difference.

User Info Menu

Dude! I love that blue. Great choice in kit for the gig. I'm sure you're more than ready to do this again!
    Have fun and let us know how it goes. Can't wait for the video.
    Proudly playing:
    Doc Sweeney Drums
    A bunch of snares
    A bunch of cymbals

Off-Set double pedals

I think I love to play the drums simply because you get to hit 'em!!!

User Info Menu

Go knock em dead, Bish!
    Six Piece Mapex Saturn V, Five Piece DW Performance Series, NOS Slingerland Snares, Centent Ardor and Emperor Cymbals

User Info Menu

Love that kit

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    Hahahaha, you guys continue to be my inspiration.

I spent over an hour in the drum room last night going over what I need and what to take. After careful consideration for micing and all aspects of getting gear together I had a change of plans.

I'm actually taking my best set out.

Due to the fact that it already has a ported head for micing the way the sound guy wants it done, it's already tuned, I just have to case them up and then put together my favorite cymbals, this is what is going....

My Zoom Q8 is all charged up and a fresh mem stick so I'm rarin' to go.

Funniest part, was last night in my dreams I was at rehearsal and no one could find a current set list to practice from. A total waste of time.

Glad my home rehearsal time is much more organized.

More after Saturday night.
    Those are beautiful, Bish. Congrats on the new gig Buddy.
    DW - PEARL - PDP - ZILDJIAN - EVANS - VIC FIRTH

Click for Gear Pics!

DW Collector's Series - Blue Glass - 10, 12, 14, 16, 23
    Pearl Session Custom - Green Burst - 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 22
    PDP CX Maple - Red Glass - 12, 14, 16, 24

Quote Originally Posted by LudwigLifer View Post
    If we had centerfolds for drums,that kit would be in one of them!

User Info Menu

Good luck on the gig! Hope you have a good turnout. We played last Saturday night and it was pretty sad. The Husker game lasted until 10:00, so they had us wait until 10:00 to start. By game end, the people that WERE there were already so drunk they just went home. Others went to another bar to watch the end of the Iowa-Michigan game. It was basically a paid dress rehearsal. We played very well. The bartender and the handful of people that actually came for the music loved us. Now that there are so many college football games on TV, I'm really tempted to book more Friday night gigs and avoid the Saturdays...at least when there are night games.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Hey RHD....good to see you.

N2Bluz, Sometimes you just can't predict what the customers are going to do. You just have to keep after it.

Thanks for all the responses, everyone. I have to say tonight was a total success. Way better than I would have thought. One down side....I forgot to take my camera....total grrrrr

However, my trusty phone camera was with me...

And as you can see I opted for the red Star Classics and glad I did. They sounded awesome. First time they have been out of the house. Not the last either.

The place was starting to get busy before we began. By the 4th set it was full, thankfully. If you can pick out the guy in the light blue shirt and baseball cap at the bar, he and his wife just happened to be driving by and thought they stop in. They ended up staying all night. How do I know this? He bought me a drink and told me they had decided to stay for the entire night - get this - due to my drumming. I was humbled, honored and embarrassed all at once. Gotta love those kind of nights.

The band minus the guitarist. From left to right...Singer/front man, Bassist/singer, keyboardist/singer/sound tech who's married to the guitarist who is a great guitarist/singer and other half of the sound tech crew.

After the successful outing they are going to start booking us and I am hoping to become very busy. I'll keep you posted and get some videos ASAP.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Congrats on the successful maiden voyage.

User Info Menu

Very glad to know your gig went well enough that it will generate further business.

Ours was not as good -- we played a club that has been realizing a declining business..............it is owned by a married couple..............the wife works extremely hard behind the bar and in the kitchen..........and the husband is the sound mix and otherwise lazy-a$$. He does no promotion and blames the bands if the evening's revenue is not good. He has been trying to sell the business claiming it is too tough of a job............he is open 4 nights per week and does nothing on the other three days.
    It rained here Friday night and we had a half-full house............he decided we should share in the misery and shorted us on the money -- something he has tried before.
    We have played this club eight times (too much) during this calendar year (at his request) because the first 5 times we played there, we had great crowds..............and as you might guess, he didn't want to pay us more on those good nights.

We told him OK, good luck and goodbye................we had already decided to take a break from there due to overexposure.
    We will be telling our band-friends in town about the short money and won't be going back.
    Last edited by Ricardo; 11-20-2016 at 09:53 AM.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by inthpktplayer View Post
    Congrats on the successful maiden voyage.

Thank you, itpp.

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
    Very glad to know your gig went well enough that it will generate further business.

Ours was not as good -- we played a club that has been realizing a declining business..............it is owned by a married couple..............the wife works extremely hard behind the bar and in the kitchen..........and the husband is the sound mix and otherwise lazy-a$$. He does no promotion and blames the bands if the evening's revenue is not good. He has been trying to sell the business claiming it is too tough of a job............he is open 4 nights per week and does nothing on the other three days.
    It rained here Friday night and we had a half-full house............he decided we should share in the misery and shorted us on the money -- something he has tried before.
    We have played this club eight times (too much) during this calendar year (at his request) because the first 5 times we played there, we had great crowds..............and as you might guess, he didn't want to pay us more on those good nights.

We told him OK, good luck and goodbye................we had already decided to take a break from there due to overexposure.
    We will be telling our band-friends in town about the short money and won't be going back.
    You are doing the right thing. That kind of behavior never works for a business and it's just going to get worse for them. Don't hold yourselves accountable as you know what you can do. Never judge the band by the bar response. You know as well as I do there are even nights when you are spot on and the patrons just sit. They aren't leaving but they aren't dancing either. It's just the crowd but at least they aren't leaving. Those nights you just shake your head in wonder but know you played well.

Keep up what your doing. You know the music is good.

I just woke up and the day is half over. I have to regain my stamina. I'm beat up. LOL
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Due to the awesomeness of Facebook, I found where one of my friends took a picture I hadn't seen until just now. Here is the guitarist and myself. I know it doesn't look like it but we were having way more fun than two old grown men should be having. Hahahaha

Last edited by Bish; 11-20-2016 at 11:50 AM.
    Signature here