Thread: New snare purchase advice!

User Info Menu

Default New snare purchase advice!

Hi all,

So this guy who lives about 100min from me has a bunch of snares and cymbals he purchased I guess in bulk and is selling them. To keep things simple (since prices and currency here are different) let's just state he's selling these items completely new (the snares are still wrapped) for 25% discount.

What I'm interested in are his Black Panther snares, Velvetone and Versatus. I've seen GDM weigh in on the Versatus on another forum, and I'm wondering if any of you have any experience with these two drums. While I'm not really desperate for another snare, the only one I've got is a piccolo, so something a bit more mainstream might be in order.

He also has at least 20 cymbals for sale, Anatolians. Honestly, I'm really just in the market for maybe a smaller pair of hats to take to practice rooms, and I'd like to change my ride for a 21" sweet ride, but I figure if I do go out there, couldn't hurt to try something out.

I don't mind going out there, it's a quite nice train, takes you right into the Sudetenland for any of you WW2 buffs Any help on those snare would be greatly appreciated! Danke! J
    Yamaha DTX 500 module
    Anatolian Kappadokia 14" Rock High Hats
    Sabian El Sabor 20" Ride
    Zildjian A 18" Crash Ride
    Istanbul Agop 16" Trash Hit
    1950's Zildjian 14" Splash/light crash
    Istanbul 8" Splash (pre 1997)
    Mapex Black Panther Steel Piccolo
    1965 Premier 3 piece 10, 16, 22

User Info Menu

Default Re: New snare purchase advice!

Will a round trip cost more than the potential 25% savings?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by No Me Metro View Post
    Will a round trip cost more than the potential 25% savings?
    def not it's really what people think about the drums...as in, are these good drums and im getting a good deal or for that money, there are better options
    Yamaha DTX 500 module
    Anatolian Kappadokia 14" Rock High Hats
    Sabian El Sabor 20" Ride
    Zildjian A 18" Crash Ride
    Istanbul Agop 16" Trash Hit
    1950's Zildjian 14" Splash/light crash
    Istanbul 8" Splash (pre 1997)
    Mapex Black Panther Steel Piccolo
    1965 Premier 3 piece 10, 16, 22

User Info Menu

I can only give input on the black panther as I don't own any of the other two you listed. But my Mapex Black Panther is in the top 5 of my snare collection. It's one AWESOME snare drum.

User Info Menu

I really liked the Velvetone...very 'woody' sound, almost bought one myself. Haven't heard of the other.
    Too Much Stuff.

User Info Menu

First of all, you can't go wrong with a Black Panther snare. They are very high quality. Saying that, it all depends on the sound you like. The Velvetone snare is 14x5.5 and is maple/walnut/maple, while the Versatus snare is 14x4 5/8 and is mahagony/maple.

I would suggest that if you have a piccolo snare already, then the Velvetone snare will be the more "mainstream of the 2. In the end, it will likely be your own ears that will tell you what's best for you. All I can say for sure (and I do have a 14x5.5 Black Panther Deep Forest Cherry snare) is that I have serveral snares that are excellent quality, and it's the Black Panther that has been the one that stays on my kit.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    I can only give input on the black panther as I don't own any of the other two you listed. But my Mapex Black Panther is in the top 5 of my snare collection. It's one AWESOME snare drum.
    Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    First of all, you can't go wrong with a Black Panther snare. They are very high quality. All I can say for sure (and I do have a 14x5.5 Black Panther Deep Forest Cherry snare) is that I have serveral snares that are excellent quality, and it's the Black Panther that has been the one that stays on my kit.
    This and this....Black Panthers for the win.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Slight issue is guy has them still in the boxes sealed, so he won't open them therefore no testing...strange I know but what can I do? I know drums aren't cymbals, but still, I firmly believe in try before you buy.

Thanks for all the advice and keep it coming!

User Info Menu

Break out the big cash roll in front of him,And then kindly explain your predicament. If that doesn't work break out the switchblade and the blackjack!
    Last edited by wired; 11-30-2016 at 06:27 AM.
    I had a lot of time to think it over lying in this hospital bed...
    I monkeyed with another monkey's monkey
    And her gorilla whupped upon my head!~Johnny Paycheck