Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Got the gig!

User Info Menu

Default Got the gig!

Auditioned for a well known band in the area last night and got the gig which is surprising because out of the 30 or so songs we only played 6 of the 20 songs they sent me to work on. They have really good female singer and she loves Heart so some of those are tricky to say the least but I love all those songs.

After we played for 2+ hrs we chatted for awhile..they are playing a gig sat. And really do not want to hire another fill in. Not sure I'll be 100% ready but I should be able to get by so I accepted. After I accepted they said they also do the backing band for an Elvis impersonator on New Year's Eve three sets. All new material for me. We start rehearsing with him next week. Funny how you go from playing nothing just to to CDs in your basement to suddenly full out again. Time to get a 2nd kit now.. : )
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Default Re: Got the gig!

Awesome I hope you have fun.. and listen to some live elvis.. Tutt is a beast.. one of my favorites

User Info Menu

Congrats! Sounds like fun. I enjoy covering Heart tunes. BTW, I'm thinking of unloading a Mapex Saturn kit............pm me if you might have any interest.

User Info Menu

That's great! Congratulations!

User Info Menu

Great news -- congrats.

I am now in a band with a female lead singer and we do three Heart tunes.................awesome stuff !
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Outstanding! Congratulations and have fun with it.

Tex

User Info Menu

Congrats! Sounds like you will be busy for a while.
    Gretsch USA Custom 22x18, 12x9, 13x10, 14x14, 16x16, 14x5.5 Rosewood Zildjian 14" New Beats, Zildjian 20" A Medium Ride, Sabian 18" Paragon Crash, Zildjian 16" Medium Thin Crash Tama Iron Cobra Single Pedal

Pearl Masters Studio Birch (MBX) 22x16, 10x10, 12x10, 13x11, 16x16, 14x6.5 in White Mist. Zildjian A Custom Hats, Sabian 22 AA with Rivets, Stagg 20" Ghengis Ride, Dream Contact Crashes 16" & 17" Pearl P2002B Double Bass Pedal

User Info Menu

WTG, MDK.

I know the feeling, too. LOL
    Signature here

User Info Menu

That's great news! Congratulations !!!!!

User Info Menu

Nice job! I'd give it a few months before dropping any $$ on new drums for the project. Just to make sure the new band guys don't turn out to be flakes once you get to know them.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Congrats MDK! Sounds like you're about to become very busy.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Was this the gig you were going to pass on?

Angikins Guest

Congratulations, MDK!!!!

User Info Menu

Congrats! That's awesome!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by inthpktplayer View Post
    Congrats! Sounds like fun. I enjoy covering Heart tunes. BTW, I'm thinking of unloading a Mapex Saturn kit............pm me if you might have any interest.
    Thanks bud, I would love a Saturn again but my funds are limited.

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    Nice job! I'd give it a few months before dropping any $$ on new drums for the project. Just to make sure the new band guys don't turn out to be flakes once you get to know them.
    Ehhh Any excuse to buy another kit will work for me : ) But I do know what you mean. I do have other offers out as well so even if this falls through I plan on playing much more in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    Was this the gig you were going to pass on?
    Yes it is Rick, I decided to go anyway andkept reminding myself of your advice while playing. Instead of worrying if I was playing the exact same beat or fill I just played the damn song and loved it : )

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
    Great news -- congrats.

I am now in a band with a female lead singer and we do three Heart tunes.................awesome stuff !
    Thanks Ricardo, Yes she is by far the best singer I have ever played with and that really seems to make me get into more. She does Heart really well and completely nailed that Elle King song "Ex's and Oh's" and wow that is a fun song to drum too as well.

Thanks for the congrats everyone.
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Nice! Going to be a busy couple of months. Enjoy!

User Info Menu

Congrats MDK, that's awesome!

User Info Menu

Congrats on landing the gig. Not sure what Heart songs you are learning but this may help you to hear the parts better. Baracuda isolated drums
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XD9EwP7rUOs
    and a pretty good cover of it.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1oMUibPpes
    Last edited by wired; 11-28-2016 at 11:45 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wired View Post
    Congrats on landing the gig. Not sure what Heart songs you are learning but this may help you to hear the parts better. Baracuda isolated drums
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XD9EwP7rUOs
    and a pretty good cover of it.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1oMUibPpes
    Sweet, thank you.
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

User Info Menu

I wish you luck with this!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by G-man View Post
    Nice! Going to be a busy couple of months. Enjoy!
    This^^!
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

Good Luck MDK...................Have fun!

User Info Menu

Congratulations.
    Dave

Frank "Fiacovaz" Iacovazzi
    RIP my friend

Proud member of "PHROGGES AQUARIAN ARMY"

User Info Menu

Sometimes how you fit with the other musicians is worth a lot, too. You must have made a good impression.

User Info Menu

1st gig last night went pretty good but I see the bass player being a problem going forward but I will give it some time.

We all get there, get set up test monitors, position drums, mics, tune guitars and when done we had about 20 minutes to spare so we had a drink (water for me) and shot the breeze a bit.

It was a private surprise party for someone so we got up on stage and all had to be quiet when he came in. The guy comes in we all yell surprise and I do a little diddy on the drums. The lead singer says surprise, happy birthday, announces band name and says we are gonna play some rock n roll for ya, I start counting off 1st song and the Bass player says hold on I am not ready, I need to tune my bass? Really dude WTH?

We wait a good minute or 2 for that and as he is using the guitar players guitar to tune against he tries to turn up his guitar on the PA and the Guitar player yells dont touch that.

Finally ready and he says ok I am good what is the 1st song?

Lead singer starts getting mad asking why he did not bring the set list she sent out 2 days ago, he then starts complaining about playing the 2nd set list 1st this time etc etc. Also a few intro's I am playing I do not hear any Bass? I look over and he is flipping pages in his sheet music book then finally comes in in the middle of 1st verse?

I am hoping it was just a bad night for him but I get the feeling I am going to lose patience with that pretty quickly. Lead singer is fantastic 2 guiatr players are decent but we did have some start stop problems which I chalk up to lack of familiarity but I seem much more concerned about them and fixing them than anyone else does, which is a bad sign.
    Last edited by MDK; 12-04-2016 at 06:21 PM.
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy