Thread: Wanting to learn to play jazz

User Info Menu

Default Wanting to learn to play jazz

After watching the movie called whiplash which I did not think was very good. Now I really want to learn jazz. So tonight I started practicing just on the ride for about 10 min.. Think once I get comfortable and my speed up then I will learn to add the snare and bass. Money is going to be tight and may not be able to do a recording for the talent show. So I thought if I could learn basic jazz I could add some snare and toms to it. Of course i'm not going to practice until I get so frustrated that I punch a big hole in my snare like the drummer did on whiplash.
    The drumming in the movie was good but they could have cleaned up the language a bit. I will keep you all informed of my practice. Any advice will be helpful.

Keep drumming
    Gregg

User Info Menu

Default Re: Wanting to learn to play jazz

I know what's it's like to always be short on money but the good news is practice is free!
    That said I would suggest just becoming familiar with all the different eras and standards that make up Jazz. In this case youtube is your friend.
    But yeah off the top of my head I would check out classic's like Gene Krupa work on Bennie Goodman's "Sing,Sing,Sing" Joe Morello on Dave Brubeck's "Take five"
    Max Roach on tunes like " Cherokee", I really like Duke Ellington's "Caravan"
    There are tons of songs these drummers played on. And some while may not be a drumming cadenza are still important to be familiar with like Glen Miller's "In the mood" from the the swing era.
    By going back and revisiting the swing era I feel kind lays a foundation for more advance Be bop stuff from guys like Elvin Jones,Billy Cobham,Art Blakey. So yeah I would think the first step would be to do a lot of listening and get the music in your soul first and foremost.
    Last edited by wired; 11-28-2016 at 06:57 PM.

User Info Menu

I agree. Listen to everything Jazz you can find, over & over. Get the music in your soul and learn to think and feel in Jazz. I believe the same goes for any genre; Blues, Bluegrass, Swing...
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Coming at it from another angle I would say that Latin music had a pronounce effect on Jazz music,I guess starting with the Bosa Nova classic "The girl from ipanema". From a rhythm perspective this added flavor would be huge. Just getting some of that in you as well would be a big help I would think. I like watching this lady's teaching lessons a lot. she's got pretty little Samba feet just a flying!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aj3hx3s8Trg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwwFIg0WTvw
    Last edited by wired; 11-28-2016 at 06:52 PM.

User Info Menu

Here's a tip from my mentor who's a jazzer: make your warm up by doing triplets (contant flow on the snare) with your hands, 2 and 4 LF and accents with the bass drum. when you go to the toms, make sure to play two notes on each tom (I also suggest playing your kit like it's a 4 piece, as this will make those notes seem like 16ths). More basically, you MUST be able to paradiddle in triplets. Basically triplets, triplets, triplets.

Check out what Tony Williams does on Han****'s Maiden Voyage, there are 15 really great ideas in this one song (here's the whole album cause Tony be killing it!) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_hckwsnp_I

I'm a huge fan of Art Blakey, his version of Caravan https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDbgLJt50ss and Night in Tunisia are drummer delights! This is a live version of Night, prefer the album version however: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2IQNPlnc9c0

Finally, my second favorite piece of music ever, my church music, Love Supreme. Elvin doing lots of very interesting stuff, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clC6cgoh1sU

I don't agree listening to jazz helps you being able to play it. I am only able to do basic simple simon stuff with jazz and I listen to a lot of it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jgziegler View Post
    Here's a tip from my mentor who's a jazzer: make your warm up by doing triplets (contant flow on the snare) with your hands, 2 and 4 LF and accents with the bass drum. when you go to the toms, make sure to play two notes on each tom (I also suggest playing your kit like it's a 4 piece, as this will make those notes seem like 16ths). More basically, you MUST be able to paradiddle in triplets. Basically triplets, triplets, triplets.

Check out what Tony Williams does on Han****'s Maiden Voyage, there are 15 really great ideas in this one song (here's the whole album cause Tony be killing it!) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_hckwsnp_I

I'm a huge fan of Art Blakey, his version of Caravan https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDbgLJt50ss and Night in Tunisia are drummer delights! This is a live version of Night, prefer the album version however: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2IQNPlnc9c0

In mainly the '70's, I would go to NYC and jam in some of the after hours clubs. I got to jam with Freddie Hubbard 1 night on Cherokee and Blakey's Alamode.

Finally, my second favorite piece of music ever, my church music, Love Supreme. Elvin doing lots of very interesting stuff, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clC6cgoh1sU

I don't agree listening to jazz helps you being able to play it. I am only able to do basic simple simon stuff with jazz and I listen to a lot of it.

All good choices. I would add Brubek's "Time Further Out" with Morello's "Far More Drums" Throw in some MJQ

In mainly the '70's, I would go to NYC and jam in some of the after hours clubs. I got to jam with Freddie Hubbard 1 night on Cherokee and Blakey's Alamode.

Some guy's would tell you that they wanted to "HEAR" the drums, hit every fill, to push them. Other's would say "Stay in the windows, man, just keep the time".

Jazz really can't be taught. You can't teach a "feel".

R&R was my money, jazz was my real love.

User Info Menu

My only advice would be to make sure you have mastered the rudiments to the best of your ability before tackling this genre. Good luck.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by inthpktplayer View Post
    My only advice would be to make sure you have mastered the rudiments to the best of your ability before tackling this genre. Good luck.
    +20 although I'd say master the rudiments and then master them all over again!

User Info Menu

Syncopation or bust !
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

If you can read notation, i'd suggest picking up the Jim Chapin book. "Advanced Techniques for the Modern Drummer - Volume 1". It's around $14.

It will help you play time on the ride and learn to be independent with your other limbs.

Though truthfully you don't NEED a book.. you could just play time on your ride and practice permutations of triplets.... eg. play only quarter notes on bass drum, then play only the second eighth note, then only the 3rd.... then play 1 +, then + A, then 1 - A... etc.
    Too Much Stuff.

User Info Menu

Start simple. Learn to SWING!!

all the best...

User Info Menu

The six stroke roll is super useful in jazz.

Also, if you do a lot of jazz you'll need some brushes chops.
    Life's too short to play the same solo twice. Improvise!

User Info Menu

btw I've just noticed the forum automatically edited Herbie Han****'s last name...oh well

User Info Menu

Comes in a 6-pk
    facebook_1512411076131.jpg
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wired View Post
    I know what's it's like to always be short on money but the good news is practice is free!
    That said I would suggest just becoming familiar with all the different eras and standards that make up Jazz. In this case youtube is your friend.
    But yeah off the top of my head I would check out classic's like Gene Krupa work on Bennie Goodman's "Sing,Sing,Sing" Joe Morello on Dave Brubeck's "Take five"
    Max Roach on tunes like " Cherokee", I really like Duke Ellington's "Caravan"
    There are tons of songs these drummers played on. And some while may not be a drumming cadenza are still important to be familiar with like Glen Miller's "In the mood" from the the swing era.
    By going back and revisiting the swing era I feel kind lays a foundation for more advance Be bop stuff from guys like Elvin Jones,Billy Cobham,Art Blakey. So yeah I would think the first step would be to do a lot of listening and get the music in your soul first and foremost.
    Great advice

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jgziegler View Post
    btw I've just noticed the forum automatically edited Herbie Han****'s last name...oh well
    I noticed that ridiculous really....i could understand if it was a foul mouthed rant....but it's the name of one of Jazz musics greats....political correctness gone mad

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stoney View Post
    I noticed that ridiculous really....i could understand if it was a foul mouthed rant....but it's the name of one of Jazz musics greats....political correctness gone mad
    Or a machine that doesn't know the difference

all the best...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MDK View Post
    ouch! lol
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post

all the best...
    Exactly
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

all the best...
    Rage against the Machine....sorry no offence meant a bit of banter that's all

User Info Menu

As far a jazz is concerned...I'm finding it to be a life time thing. First you have forget everything about rock or pop music, because little of it applies in jazz. You really have to become a "musician" to play it well. After all jazz is ALL about MUSIC. Not as much about words, and image etc... Not about tatoos and big hair or cowboy hats etc...etc... JUST MUSIC

all the best...

User Info Menu

You really have to become a "musician" to play it well.....
    Hey, wait a second....

novelty-musician-parking-sign-k-6812_pl.jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    LOL that's funny!!

I hope what I said didn't sound weird. I think what I mean is that you have to understand melody and song form more than other music genres where it's sufficient to just provide a repetitive pattern of down beat / back beat.

all the best...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    All good choices. I would add Brubek's "Time Further Out" with Morello's "Far More Drums" Throw in some MJQ

Some guy's would tell you that they wanted to "HEAR" the drums, hit every fill, to push them. Other's would say "Stay in the windows, man, just keep the time".

Jazz really can't be taught. You can't teach a "feel".

R&R was my money, jazz was my real love.
    That must of been an incredibly moment for you