Thread: Heel injury from playing Hi hat?

User Info Menu

Question Heel injury from playing Hi hat?

Just wonder if anyone has encountered or heard about heel injuries from playing hi hat?
    I injured my heel (somehow) a few months ago. Not sure how really. Thought for sure it should have cleared up by now. Funny thing is due to weather conditions, (i move my kit outside to practice) and traveling for holidays i havent been able to play for over a week now and my heel seems to be on the mend. Just wonder if it could be related or just coincidence? Beside the snare, the hi hat is my favorite instrument.
    Enjoy the little things in life because one day you`ll look back and realize they were the big things.

-Karrie

User Info Menu

Default Re: Heel injury from playing Hi hat?

I guess about a year ago I got a little crazy working on bass drum technique and I injured my calf muscle. Since then I've learn to do stretches which seems to help.

Your heel will toughen up to the task I believe. Just don't overdo it and don't let that discourage you. Keep drumming!

User Info Menu

I always stretch before I play but I do intense playing

User Info Menu

Do you play heel up, down, or both? It sounds like it might be a case of Achilles tendinitis. You can search the net for stretching exercises that might help.

User Info Menu

I play both heel up/down and my right foot and ankle would kill me. Stretching will help but don't over do it. I stretch everything now back, legs , arms, hands etc. Might be a little time consuming, but worth it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Goro View Post
    I play both heel up/down and my right foot and ankle would kill me. Stretching will help but don't over do it. I stretch everything now back, legs , arms, hands etc. Might be a little time consuming, but worth it.
    I feel your pain. I have Achilles tendonitis issues in both feet. Signs of getting old I guess. However, for the past year or so it hasn't been bothering me but I that when it did, stretching would help immensely.

User Info Menu

Thanks guys for the input. I will try to do stretches before and during breaks. Lord knows i don't want to give up on drums I am have too much fun!
    Enjoy the little things in life because one day you`ll look back and realize they were the big things.

-Karrie