Thread: playing an instrument because it's cool

User Info Menu

Default playing an instrument because it's cool

wanted to rant a bit:

I really hate this, and it's usually guitar players because they can learn 10 popular songs and everyone loves them. there is this guy, pathological liar who at first seems really nice but once you get to know him, you see his true colors...anyway my ex gf (as of last week) was writing me and mentioned she met the dude. i told her what i thought of him, which is the same as what my other musical friends who know him think. she asked why we think he actually wasn't part of the rolling stones personnel tech when they were on tour...

About 2 years ago (after having played for only 2.5 years) I asked my guitarist, who was always on my *** about my playing, ato compare my drumming to his guitar playing. My guy said about the same, which for me said something since liar dude has been playing for 10+ years.

Which leads me to this thread: I have no problem that in 10 years of playing you aren't as good as others. Some are more talented, have more time, ect. My issue is that no effort into getting better is ever made, and for people who can't tell the difference (like my ex), you can seem pretty good so the whole X years' experience makes you seem more musical. Well, I guess the ignorant will get took everywhere.

JGZ

User Info Menu

Default Re: playing an instrument because it's cool

I'm a little confused at this whole post but are you saying that said guitar player has been 'playing for 10 years' meaning 'owned a guitar for 10 years', but really only knows more like 10 songs really well and calls himself a musician?
    Too Much Stuff.

User Info Menu

You're mad because your Ex can't tell you've gotten better?

User Info Menu

I'm sure dude's owned guitars even longer...re the ex, more that she refuses to believe what other people tell her, then again, a nice reminder why i'm better off without her

What bothers me is that people go around talking about how they play an instrument, toss in some technical stuff which nonmusical people don't know, and that immediately gets you credibility. I reckon nobody on the forum is like this, so what gets me is that we put in the effort to get better, to learn our instrument both technically and musically, and we get lumped in with schmucks like this. Furthermore, cause our instrument is a bit alien to other people, a nothing special guitar player wows more than a solid drummer.

Ahh the DC forum, come for the drum advice, stay for the moral support! Back to beating this 7-stroke roll fill into my head

User Info Menu

Umm... i played for 30 years and i SUCK hard... i kept at it cause i love it but honestly after like 5 years i never got better no matter how much i tried. And it came down more to not being musical.. My mechanics are great. but my musicality is ***.. so i can see how someone doesn't get better after X years cause it sure happened to me

That being said i started off learning fast on drums and it has tapered off also. But i love it so i keep doing it. i would bet money that in 10 years i will suck. But love it

P.S. also confused on the main point of this post... are you mad cause your ex met a guy?

Quote Originally Posted by jgziegler View Post
    wanted to rant a bit:

I really hate this, and it's usually guitar players because they can learn 10 popular songs and everyone loves them. there is this guy, pathological liar who at first seems really nice but once you get to know him, you see his true colors...anyway my ex gf (as of last week) was writing me and mentioned she met the dude. i told her what i thought of him, which is the same as what my other musical friends who know him think. she asked why we think he actually wasn't part of the rolling stones personnel tech when they were on tour...

About 2 years ago (after having played for only 2.5 years) I asked my guitarist, who was always on my *** about my playing, ato compare my drumming to his guitar playing. My guy said about the same, which for me said something since liar dude has been playing for 10+ years.

Which leads me to this thread: I have no problem that in 10 years of playing you aren't as good as others. Some are more talented, have more time, ect. My issue is that no effort into getting better is ever made, and for people who can't tell the difference (like my ex), you can seem pretty good so the whole X years' experience makes you seem more musical. Well, I guess the ignorant will get took everywhere.

JGZ

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Icetech View Post
    Umm... i played for 30 years and i SUCK hard... i kept at it cause i love it but honestly after like 5 years i never got better no matter how much i tried. And it came down more to not being musical.. My mechanics are great. but my musicality is ***.. so i can see how someone doesn't get better after X years cause it sure happened to me

That being said i started off learning fast on drums and it has tapered off also. But i love it so i keep doing it. i would bet money that in 10 years i will suck. But love it

P.S. also confused on the main point of this post... are you mad cause your ex met a guy?
    Music is in some ways like sex and golf. You don't have to be good at it to enjoy it. If you've drummed for 30 years, then obviously you are getting something from it and that's all that counts. It allows you to express yourself. Many give up after only a few months (sometimes years) Makes me think it just wasn't their thing.

all the best...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post
    Music is in some ways like sex and golf. You don't have to be good at it to enjoy it. If you've drummed for 30 years, then obviously you are getting something from it and that's all that counts. It allows you to express yourself. Many give up after only a few months (sometimes years) Makes me think it just wasn't their thing.

all the best...
    Doh.. meant i played guitar for 30 years... been playing drums 2 and wish i had never seen a guitar.. guitar players (for the most part) are just ****s in general.. the talk crap about each other and cut each other down non stop. Drummers though have been the nicest people i have ever met.. i have talked to drummers that have played for 40 years and they still get excited to talk about it. Even had one bring me a chad smith snare to use randomly.. Never had a guitar player just show up with a guitar.

All in all i love drums and dummers

User Info Menu

I dont care my ex met this Dbag (im brad pitt crossed with clooney next to this guy), it just got me thinking about how it can be discouraging that we put a lot of effort into something that isnt recognised...dont get me started in djs!

Ive hit the intermediate wall a bit, also because of this girl i didnt touch a kit for 4 months (was travelling).

User Info Menu

"Music is in some ways like sex and golf. You don't have to be good at it to enjoy it."

kay-gee, while I agree with you on the latter. (My experience with golf was 1 time on a driving range with a bucket of balls and a borrowed driver from my friend. I was so bad that the people behind me were ducking).

As for the former. I'll put it this way. If your band plays a bad gig, you will not be invited back for a 2nd gig, if you get my drift.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    "Music is in some ways like sex and golf. You don't have to be good at it to enjoy it."

As for the former. I'll put it this way. If your band plays a bad gig, you will not be invited back for a 2nd gig, if you get my drift.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post

kay-gee, while I agree with you on the latter. (My experience with golf was 1 time on a driving range with a bucket of balls and a borrowed driver from my friend. I was so bad that the people behind me were ducking).

Oh, I get that alright! But what I mean is, you don't have to be a pro musician to enjoy the playing and making of music. There's a lot of lifetime guitarists who play in their bedrooms and at campfires. My hats off to them!!

all the best...