Thread: Update on learning jazz.

User Info Menu

Default Update on learning jazz.

Last night I found a book that I downloaded and printed off. I believe it's call basic theory. It teaches different styles of basic drum grooves such as rock drumming,jazz drumming,latin drumming,frunk drumming,double bass drumming,applying rudiments,anddrum fills. Oh and I am now going to need another pair of jazz sticks the tips broke on the other ones. I practiced a hour on basic jazz lesson one and played the first thru the fourth lines. Have made a lot of progress tonight.
    Plans are to practice every night for one hour and two or four hours on weekends. Since I know how to read music and drum notation this should go very smooth.

Keep drumming
    Gregg

User Info Menu

Default Re: Update on learning jazz.

Impressive, Gregg!! Be sure to post videos of you playing some Jazz sometime
    Soul Wanderer
    Skald
    Vǫlva

User Info Menu

Awesome! Keep working on it. Your hard work and dedication will pay off.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Gregg,

There must be videos on u-tube of jazz music without the drums. If you can download them and then play along with them (without looking for the song with the complete group to see what the drummer played). If you can make a video of it, all the better. Play it 2-3 times with whatever feels right at the time. Then find the complete song and compare your approach to it with the drummer that actually played it.

Just keep in mind that your playing to any given song is just as valid as the person who played it.

You do want your rudiments to be good, but, going over them over and over is not going to give you the "feel" of jazz.

User Info Menu

Who's the author of the book?

User Info Menu

The Tommy Igoe book is pretty good with lots of different grooves as well. Being able to read drum notation ought to help you immensely! Best of luck to you.

User Info Menu

For jazz learning, I highly recommand "The Art of bop drumming" from John Riley. It covers a lot of essentials stuff for jazz drumming. It's not enough to understand jazz and to play it with a band but it's a good start.
    Gretsch Renown mapple (fusion) + Ludwig black galaxy Acrolite snare
    Tama Silverstar (rock)
    Jobeky custom electronic kit with 2Box module
    Cymbals : Paiste Signature Dark Energy HH, Sabian AAX ride and splash, Zildjian K and A crashes, HH, splashes and rides

User Info Menu

First...listen to jazz...immerse yourself in it. Listen to all the instruments but namely the rhythmic ones such as piano, bass etc...Understand what's going on and the song forms.

all the best...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post
    First...listen to jazz...immerse yourself in it. Listen to all the instruments but namely the rhythmic ones such as piano, bass etc...Understand what's going on and the song forms.

all the best...
    IDK man, I've listened to a lot of jazz, i know what to play, how it should sound, all that, but i don't have the coordination. that might be good advice for 10+ year players who play prog rock or magically play blues or funk without ever getting into jazz, but absent that, i feel jazz needs a different skill set.

I've always said you take someone who's a decent jazz drummer and make them play rock and they will manage, but take a decent rock drummer and make them play jazz and it will end in disaster

User Info Menu

"I've always said you take someone who's a decent jazz drummer and make them play rock and they will manage, but take a decent rock drummer and make them play jazz and it will end in disaster"

I've played in a improvisational jazz band in college. I know that I did just fine because the "final exam" was for people to break off into duo's, trio's, quartets, quintet's, whatever and play a original or a improvised version of a known song. They could bring in a player (or player's) from outside for their performance. There were about 10-12 different "groups" and, while they could have brought in a drummer, I was asked to play for all of them.

Mainly in the '70's, I used to go to NYC to after hours places that had jam sessions a couple of times a week. I knew that I was better than decent by the simple fact that I was asked back. Not everybody was.

As for R&R. Judging from everything I've I was told or passed on to me, I'm a damn good R&R drummer. Now, if you ask me to play Lithuanian folk music, I freely admit that I'm screwed, but, that never came up much.

You have to know your instrument and have confidence in your ability to play said instrument. The last time I had any concerns about my ability to play, I was about 12. Hasn't bothered me since.

User Info Menu

I personally feel that if you really want to learn any style. If the desire is strong enough you'll find a way to get it done.
    I've been mucking with the fiddle lately and now that's thing is hard! Been playing about 2 years now. But I've been watching Kevin Burkes Irish fiddle lessons and other than a few techniques like this little hickup roll that he does. It's happening lol