Thread: You don't really need a new drumset!

User Info Menu

Default You don't really need a new drumset!

I still have this old crappy cb700 kit that I didn't want to put any money into
    But I've played with the ideal of collecting a bunch of other really cheap drums and cracked cymbals and building this ugly ratty double bass kit just for fun. Sort of like Neil Peart on crack.

The last guy in this video is just inspiring!
    I had a lot of time to think it over lying in this hospital bed...
    I monkeyed with another monkey's monkey
    And her gorilla whupped upon my head!~Johnny Paycheck

User Info Menu

Default Re: You don't really need a new drumset!

Back in 1976 (I was 16 years old then) I got my first drum kit which was made by Crown . Sparkle blue . It was the epitome of a POS kit ! After about a few months all the bolts had stripped . The casings started to break . The legs would give out and the bass drum would just roll on it's side , toms and all ! My friends would come over and watch me play because they knew the kit would take a dump in the middle of my playing and it would be hysterical !! I had become like a joke .

But I got the last laugh on them .

My next door neighbor was the lead singer to a popular Mexican band . They were pretty well know they were signed , with recordings , tv appearances , videos and were always touring . They brought him over to have a laugh . But the kit didn't take a dump . I was playing along to Tower Of Power and I got through the whole first side , starting with "Oakland Stroke" . He liked what he heard and drafted me into his band . A month later I was on the road touring with top notch musicians and getting payed . On the road for that first year I didn't need a kit because we were using backline or rental kits .
    So yea ... true talent shines no matter what !

User Info Menu

Can you imagine what the first three guys could do if they had a "regular" drum kit?

I always love seeing the creativity of these guys that have just pots, pans, crappy old beat up cymbals, buckets, etc.
    Stolen from EddieV:
    Boom, ching, boom boom ching, fuggadugga fuggadugga fuggadugga crash. Rinse, Repeat ad-nauseum.

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Come on Mark. You steal copy. Just look at your signature.
    Quote Originally Posted by Texdrumr View Post
    Nothing says 'tough' like a drummer with ducklings on his drums. Ha!

User Info Menu

Truth of the matter is that we don't really "need" most of the stuff we buy.

User Info Menu

Man.. the rolls that last guy was doing.. i would kill to be able to.. really nice

As for the topic... no.. unless a unreal deal falls in my lap (like recording customs for $500) i will probably never buy another kit. New drums wont' make me better and i swear 95% of sound is in the tuning and hands of the player.. tony williams would sound like himself on a cardboard box

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by inthpktplayer View Post
    Truth of the matter is that we don't really "need" most of the stuff we buy.

I'll be the first to admit that.
    Do I need it... no
    Do I want it... YES

hahaha how much is to much is the real question.
    Maybe I'll sell off all of my drum gear and just retire early!

User Info Menu

Great comments all,I'll admit it I got the need more drum gear bug too! My big thing right now is I'm on a budget and money that could go for drums ,cymbals things needs to go on other things like truck repairs. Right now I'm saving for a destressor compressors,xlr snake,drum mics.I wanna get back to making some recordings here pretty soon. Other than a splash,xhats,or a china I'm good now that I got that extra 18" floor tom.

I can appreciate the 2nd guys & last guys kit His soda bottle toms sound pretty & I think it was very creative to do things like the cowbell on the high hat stand, Need more cowbell! love the roto toms too. That kit was strip down to be able to load up on a little dolly and take anywhere on foot. Gotta respect that.

Tower of Power some top notch funk to play to that and be tight with it takes skills!
    Last edited by wired; 12-01-2016 at 12:58 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Icetech View Post
    Man.. the rolls that last guy was doing.. i would kill to be able to.. really nice

As for the topic... no.. unless a unreal deal falls in my lap (like recording customs for $500) i will probably never buy another kit. New drums wont' make me better and i swear 95% of sound is in the tuning and hands of the player.. tony williams would sound like himself on a cardboard box
    Well said.

I would probably still wind up sounding like ME no matter set I had.

all the best...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    I'll be the first to admit that.
    Do I need it... no
    Do I want it... YES
    Join the crowd.

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post

Maybe I'll sell off all of my drum gear and just retire early!
    Yeah, I've said that, too. It doesn't last long once you realize how much space you have. Something needs to fill it.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Now I'd like to see those guys on good quality kits.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

It's not about the gear but rather the hands that wield the pos into submission.
    Last edited by wired; 12-02-2016 at 06:53 AM.

User Info Menu

Those guys maybe except for Grohl and the last street drummer, are making the best of things out of a lack of funds. The last guy, you can tell has studied technique and I bet he has a nice kit at home.

I have built some cool stuff because I was not able to afford to buy it. The determination and stamina of a young kid should never be taken for granted. Given the money and a life of being poor, I would also bet these guys would become typical gear hoarders.
    click to see my kit re-veneer/finish
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...168#post379168

User Info Menu

Technical ability and great sounding drums are two different things. I get it, but I love a great sounding kit and quite honestly, it makes a difference. Skill combined with great sounding drums, that's an unbeatable combo. I'm really not into street performers playing on buckets while juggling flaming dog turds.
    Last edited by SunDog; 12-10-2016 at 02:26 PM.

Collectors Black Ice Finishply
    10x8,12x9,15x12,16x14,20x18,24x16
    14X6 Collectors 10 and 6 snare Natural Satin
    14x8 Collectors Black Nickel over Brass

User Info Menu

It's just a funny thread that's all folks. I have a nice Tama superstar kit that I will be buried with when I die. I'll never get rid of those drums. They sound so sweet with the Aquarian built in muffle ring heads.

Signia makes a good point about youthful energy. I was listing to this Hardcore band "AFI" Black sails in the sunset album and while they are not technically dazzling their energy is tremendous!
    Last edited by wired; 12-11-2016 at 10:14 PM.

User Info Menu

I also played a garbage kit for the first 10 years , I now have 4 pro kits and I would never go back

User Info Menu

At this place I often go to, they have cymbals which I think are terrible, when my mentor plays them, they sound awesome!

My exGF does photography, and it's amazing how a profi-level camera or lens will instantly make your pictures better.

The moral of the story is, money doth not the drummer make!
    Yamaha DTX 500 module
    Anatolian Kappadokia 14" Rock High Hats
    Sabian El Sabor 20" Ride
    Zildjian A 18" Crash Ride
    Istanbul Agop 16" Trash Hit
    1950's Zildjian 14" Splash/light crash
    Istanbul 8" Splash (pre 1997)
    Mapex Black Panther Steel Piccolo
    1965 Premier 3 piece 10, 16, 22

User Info Menu

I normally play my DWs setup in a one up, two down configuration with a Black Beauty snare drum, yes I'm spoiled.

This past Sunday I played a backline kit that was... okay. It was a seven piece old Export. I dealt with not being able to reach anything correctly and made the best of it. It was a fund raiser for the family of a fallen police officer, so I told myself to just play tight and solid, nothing fancy. The owner of the kit is about 6'2", I'm 5'6". We did six songs and got out of the way for the next band, not at all what I'm used to. We were on an elevated stage, the band following us was standing behind and below me for our whole set. There were nine bands on the bill.

A little while later the drummer from the band that followed us came up to me and complimented me on my technique, he was seriously impressed. "Um, thanks."

I was just trying to deal with the hand I was given and thought that I had a mediocre night at best. Apparently the kit did not matter, what I do is what I do and I guess that I did okay.

(But I do enjoy playing on my DWs, Gretsch USA or vintage Slingerland kits for whatever that is worth.)
    -Mike

"We don't stop playing because we grow old.
    We grow old because we stop playing."

"I wish that my playing reminded people of Steve Gadd. But they seem to confuse me with his little known cousin... E."

"Snare drums happen."

User Info Menu

I'm just playing a simple Mapex Horizon 6 piece. It sounds and plays good, and I'm happy with it.
    Six Piece Mapex Saturn V, Five Piece DW Performance Series, NOS Slingerland Snares, Centent Ardor and Emperor Cymbals