Thread: Hi-Impact Snare Head

User Info Menu

Default Hi-Impact Snare Head

Because my dealer was out of stock on my usual snare head, I took a chance on another option from Aquarian called the Hi-Impact.
    This head has two plies of 10 mils each plus a power dot underneath...........so it is thicker, heavier and resistant to heavy hitters.

I'm not what I consider a heavy hitter but I play firmly enough that I do prefer 2-ply heads, so I thought I'd see if I like this provision from Aquarian.

I bought the 13-inch coated (white) and put it on my 7X13 Black Magic night before last.............I cranked it down pretty tight and then took it to the drum room and played on it for 30 minutes or so.

This head sounds better than I expected.............for such thickness and toughness, it is also fairly sensitive and has good feel.

I have a gig tonight and I'm taking that as my main snare and I'll be interested to see how the soundman reacts to the sound of this snare drum...............it has a super crack to it.
    I'll also be interested to see how long the coating will last -- other Aquarian coated heads last longer than any other brands I've ever used..............I've tried all the heads over the years and being a long-time buyer of Evans and Remo products, I have exclusively purchased Aquarian going on about two years now............I think they are putting out some good stuff.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Default Re: Hi-Impact Snare Head

Aquarian heads are nice.. their coating is definitely superior to remo/evans albeit thicker. Their heads are also pricier in general and I personally find that they have less of a tuning range, but thats just my experience. However, tuned to their ideal state, they sound great.
    Too Much Stuff.

User Info Menu

I use to use the Aquarian Kevlar marching snare head on my snare... thick as can be but the sound was amazing and lasted for a long time!

But I don't recommend it on just any snare as it has been known to break snare drums in half.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    I use to use the Aquarian Kevlar marching snare head on my snare... thick as can be but the sound was amazing and lasted for a long time!

But I don't recommend it on just any snare as it has been known to break snare drums in half.
    Check out the Hi-Impact.................it will be a compromise between the marching head and the heads we usually buy.
    Like I said before, I was surprised that it has sensitivity although it is built for durability.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

I recently (2 months ago) switched from remo to Aquarian response 2's and i can't believe how tough the coating is on these things. after 2 months of playing every single night the coating still looks fairly new and only the texture has worn down a little.. really impressed with the coating