Thread: Deciding which kit to take to the talent show.

User Info Menu

Default Deciding which kit to take to the talent show.

Trying to decide which drum kit to take to the talent show next year. The stage is not very big and there's not a lot of room. It will have to be a 4 piece kit with 3 cymbals. I have been going back and forth on taking the big 22" bass drum or converting my 16" floor tom into a bass drum which would be a lot smaller and give me more room. I'm only going to be doing a 3 minute jazz solo. Which I need to come up with a name for the solo. Also my drums will have to fit into my small two door compact car.

Keep drumming
    Gregg

User Info Menu

Default Re: Deciding which kit to take to the talent show.

Gegg only you know which kit to bring as you have seen the stage and what you can fit on it. 3pce with 3 cymbals sounds ok to me.

User Info Menu

Don't worry about the physical size. Use whichever kit feels more comfortable for you and allows you to play the best you can.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

If it's just you playing a solo, why does the difference between the footprint of a 22 versus a 16 even matter? I do not see this as a moment in life where 6 inches is a significant difference.
    Proudly playing:
    Doc Sweeney Drums
    A bunch of snares
    A bunch of cymbals

Off-Set double pedals

I think I love to play the drums simply because you get to hit 'em!!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny G View Post
    If it's just you playing a solo, why does the difference between the footprint of a 22 versus a 16 even matter? I do not see this as a moment in life where 6 inches is a significant difference.
    I agree with this...never could see the diff in space between the footprint of a 22" and a 20"being overwhelmingly significant.
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

If it's a jazz solo, use the 16. Less weight to carry around, and most jazz kits have smaller bass drums.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

Actually, the smaller bass and toms may give it more of a Jazz sound. The higher pitches may also make it more interesting.
    -Brian

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

You guys see Buddy Rich's 16" bass? Uh-uh, no, right?
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT

User Info Menu

There's no such thing as a 16 inch bass drum.
    Do it right.

User Info Menu

No Buddy Rich did not have a 16" bass drum. I don't think they even thought of even making a smaller bass drum back in those days. But even a 16" bass drum tuned just right can sound a lot better than a 22" or 24" bass drum. But I have always wondered what the great jazz drummers of the past would say about the smaller bass drum of today?

User Info Menu

I don't understand what buddy used even matters? If he didnt do something then no one should even try it?

User Info Menu

I don't typically think of the big band format when someone says Jazz. I usually think of a Combo or a Trio, playing improv Jazz in a smoke filled nightclub. That's why the small bass drum comes to mind for Jazz.
    -Brian

User Info Menu

But Drummerboy79 hasn't specified which Jazz he favors, either. Just sayin' could be either size, big or small, but the old standard wasn't small.
    Also as a talent show, I'd assume part of the show is appearances, impressions, so I'd favor a bigger bass drum.

User Info Menu

Go big or go home

User Info Menu

It's next year, right? I think you have plenty of time to decide.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by slinglander View Post
    But Drummerboy79 hasn't specified which Jazz he favors, either. Just sayin' could be either size, big or small, but the old standard wasn't small.
    Also as a talent show, I'd assume part of the show is appearances, impressions, so I'd favor a bigger bass drum.
    You are correct. Visually, a 26" or 28" bass would really grab attention.

Honestly, I get way more attention when I gig my jungle kit with a 16" BD. It looks like a child's kit on stage surrounded by six guitars. People (especially girls ) are always coming up to me during break and telling me how cool my "mini drum kit" is and can't believe it sounds like a "real" kit, LOL. Most people around here have never seen anyone play anything except a standard full sized 5pc kit. It's a novelty...but a perfectly functional one.
    -Brian

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    Go big or go home
    No replacement for displacement?

Your drum kit weighs more than your Honda
    -Brian