Thread: 75 years

User Info Menu

Default 75 years

12/7/41

Only 6 men left from that day.

When I started going to East Orange VA Hosp., there were 18 men from Jersey that were on the ships that were hit (I'm not counting men from Jersey that were on Pearl Harbor, just the men that were actually on the ships). Some of them hadn't even hit 50 yet.

There were also 7 nurses from Jersey on Pearl that day. (I'm pulling these numbers from memory, a doctor told me how many there were, but that was almost 47 years ago).

Back in 1970, there were probably 1,500 men across the country that made it off those ships and survived the war.

Now it's down to 6.

More than a few of the buildings at Hickam Field still have bullet holes from that day. They were left to remind us never to be caught unprepared again.

User Info Menu

Default Re: 75 years

I've been to the memorial in Hawaii...............moving and sad.
    Difficult to understand the motive.
    Just as sadly, Hiroshima and Nagasaki got to pay for it.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

It's a day I can't even imagine how terrible it was in my worst dreams.

RIP to all of those who fell that day.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
    I've been to the memorial in Hawaii...............moving and sad.
    Difficult to understand the motive.
    Just as sadly, Hiroshima and Nagasaki got to pay for it.

You reap what you sow.

User Info Menu

One of, if not the most, powerful places I've ever visited. Gives me chills just to think about it.

Tex

User Info Menu

In High School, I worked part-time as a cook for local Elk's Club. We had an older gentleman working as a janitor who was a Pearl Harbor survivor. Very colorful guy. Many people didn't get along with him, but I always did.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

My wife's uncle was there when it happened. He got drunk the night before and felt bad so went to church to confess. If it wasn't for church he would have died that day also. He passed away about 5 years ago. In 05' I went to Hawaii for my anniversary and made sure we visited the Pearl Harbor memorial. It was so beautiful that day not crowded and very peaceful. I can't fathom the chaos went on that day, when you go out to the USS Arizona it's just heartbreaking.

User Info Menu

Been to the memorial. Very emotional.
    Signature here