Thread: Live sound.

User Info Menu

Default Live sound.

Hey, I was wanting to get a few different perspectives on miking drums here. My current miking system is pretty effective and sounds really good. I have two overhead condenser microphones, a snare microphone, and a bass microphone. What are the ways some of you set up your live sound microphones?
    It's a classic.

• How many drummers does it take to change a lightbulb?
    Five: One to screw the bulb in, and four to talk about how much better
    Neil Peart could have done it.

User Info Menu

For live mics I would use a normal set up with feed into amps. Snare mic, bass mic, and mics for all your toms, plus two overhead condensers should do the trick for a big audience. For smaller crowds I think your okay with what you've got.
    www.myspace.com/maudeephyfe
    The good times won't roll themselves
    Gretsch Renown Maple, Paiste Signature, Reflector, and Dark Energy

User Info Menu

the main thing for small crowds are your actual drums
    being snare kick and toms
    the cymbals are good at cutting because the shimmer hits at different frequencies and with a different tambre than any of the other instruments
    one little trick that i use is a bass drum mic (doesnt have to be a great one such as a akg d112 or an audix d6) and i put that on the floor tom
    either that or you put it under neath and have a standard tom mic on the top to capture a bit more attack
    it works wonders
    the bass drum mic alone is awesome though
    really boomy =]

User Info Menu

im getting an electric drum kit so i dont have to worry about this. Bleed, Feedback, mic quality. Its not an issue when you plug it into your FOH either way. Infact it works out better because if your FOH is two small for the gig you can turn it all down. Where as acoustic kits. You have a minimum volume to meet... I had that problem mixing bands before.
    Roland TD 30KV
    Gretsch Birch Catalina Wine red.
    Paiste PST5's
    Paiste Alpha Paiste Dark Energy
    Gibraltar Hardware Pearl 2002c Eliminator

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

The band I play with plays mostly at clubs in the Fall, Winter, and Spring that hold in the neighborhood of 160 folks and these places are Moose & Am. Legion type clubs. Not being loud enough is never a problem. Being too loud is our concern in these places. However when playing outside during the Summer months I do use two mics on my kit. I use a CAD KBM412 on my bass (musicians friend at $49.99, great bass drum mic) and a Nady SP I for my overhead mic. I know what you are thinking but these two mic’s pick up the kit for a general enhancement and do a great job reproducing how the kit sounds through the PA system. All of this and for less than $75.00.

As for the electronic kit there is just no stage appeal. Give me a beautiful acoustic kit to look at any day. The center visual point of our show is my beautiful Cherry Red Lacquer Gretsch kit and you will never get that visual from any electronic kit. “Keep It Acoustic Baby!” Just picken on you Steve, there are places where an electronic kit could be a plus.
    Now playing Gretsch and Slingerland Drums

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rritter View Post
    The band I play with plays mostly at clubs in the Fall, Winter, and Spring that hold in the neighborhood of 160 folks and these places are Moose & Am. Legion type clubs. Not being loud enough is never a problem. Being too loud is our concern in these places. However when playing outside during the Summer months I do use two mics on my kit. I use a CAD KBM412 on my bass (musicians friend at $49.99, great bass drum mic) and a Nady SP I for my overhead mic. I know what you are thinking but these two mic’s pick up the kit for a general enhancement and do a great job reproducing how the kit sounds through the PA system. All of this and for less than $75.00.

As for the electronic kit there is just no stage appeal. Give me a beautiful acoustic kit to look at any day. The center visual point of our show is my beautiful Cherry Red Lacquer Gretsch kit and you will never get that visual from any electronic kit. “Keep It Acoustic Baby!” Just picken on you Steve, there are places where an electronic kit could be a plus.

the kbm 412 is what i use on my floor tom
    what a coincidence hahaha
    and yah
    im a big acoustic fan