Thread: Working on wrist/finger control

User Info Menu

Default Working on wrist/finger control

I saw a video on wrist/finger control and have been working on it. Would like to get my swing beat on the cymbal faster. Learning the finger control is like one drummer says throwing your fishing rod out when fishing. So I tried that and well let's just say I wasn't holding on good and the stick ended up across the room. Another drummer said your falcom should start to hurt alittle then you know you are doing it right. Any other suggestions?

Keep drumming
    Gregg

User Info Menu

Default Re: Working on wrist/finger control

If you want to play fast you're going to need to play as loose as possible.

Essentially, if your looking for speed playing jazz, hold the stick between the end of your index finger and the end of your thumb, top of the thumb should be facing up in a french grip, this should be your fulcrum. If your looking for more power switch the fulcrum towards the middle/ring/pinkle and the palm of your hand. The thumb will act as a support and should always be facing up but the actual grip is back in your palm. You'll essentially use the same amount of energy but be able to adjust dynamics and speed based on where you're holding the stick.

In my opinion, your grip should never hurt. If your hands hurt are cramping up or you're blistering them, you're playing too tense and need to loosen up.

If I'm really looking for speed with the left hand I play traditional but that's a whole other can of worms, haha.

User Info Menu

Exotic guy, I agree with you, but I also slightly disagree. Building speed and power is a delicate balance between exertion and relaxation. In the end you do need to play relaxed, but getting there is often like body building, you need to push yourself, suffer a bit of pain and strain to get over those thresholds. being able to play solidly, powerfully and in control, the final result is playing with ease but you do need to push yourself but not to the point of practicing stress. It is a long journey, if it was easy, we would all be superstars.
    click to see my kit re-veneer/finish
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...168#post379168

User Info Menu

It is encouraging to see I am not the only one struggling with this. Being brand new I watch drummer's handwork and am amazed at the speed. I know it is through a lot of practice, but sometimes it is disheartening when I try to do double rolls and see how slow I am. Oh well. more practice pad time for me.
    Gretsch USA Custom 22x18, 12x9, 13x10, 14x14, 16x16, 14x5.5 Rosewood Zildjian 14" New Beats, Zildjian 20" A Medium Ride, Sabian 18" Paragon Crash, Zildjian 16" Medium Thin Crash Tama Iron Cobra Single Pedal

Pearl Masters Studio Birch (MBX) 22x16, 10x10, 12x10, 13x11, 16x16, 14x6.5 in White Mist. Zildjian A Custom Hats, Sabian 22 AA with Rivets, Stagg 20" Ghengis Ride, Dream Contact Crashes 16" & 17" Pearl P2002B Double Bass Pedal

User Info Menu

Decades ago, I had 2 drummer friends that (for whatever reason) liked my so called finger and wrist control.

I told them that 1) they worked way 2 hard, and 2) they had way too much arm in their playing.

I had them try something that popped into my mind 1 day/night, (it was 1 or the other) to keep their arm out of it (your arm should only move you from drum to drum or drum to cymbal, after that it's wrists and fingers).

What I had them try was this (it's going to sound stupid, but it worked).

At my friend's house we found a end table that fit the bill for what I wanted him to try. The end table was of a height that would let him get his forearms and (obviously) his hands under the table, but not enough room for the arms.

We got a bucket (I told you it was going to sound stupid) and on top of the bucket we put his practice pad. From the top of the practice pad to the bottom of the table was about 7", maybe 8", but no more.

I had him do double stroke rolls and paradiddles and the 1st day it was comical as to how much he hit the bottom of the table, but as he did this for about 20 minutes every day, his hitting of the table went down to almost nothing and, being he lived about 2 blocks from me I could see the improvement in his speed and basic dexterity because with his forearms and hands under that table, he had no choice but to use his wrists and fingers and his arms were kept out of it by the table.

This took place about 25-30 years ago. After about 3-4 months, if I had to put a number to it, his speed went up by 25%, his ability to get around the set probably went up by at least 20%, and he didn't break into a sweat after 5 minutes because he didn't work 1/2 as hard.

Gregg, if you want to improve your wrist and finger, try ^^^^^^^ and loosen up. You play and your body is way too tense.

OldeEnglishD, http://youtu.be/kPUl98Xaghs

I've practiced my doubles this way since I was about 12.

User Info Menu

basically what rick said! Good technique, like most things drumming, is years of practice. I keep telling myself that everytime i start doubting myself

One thing that might help is to practice on a pillow, actually neck pillows and put it on your knee. I used my stronger hand to 'teach' my weaker one, and got my left into decent shape vis-a-vis the right.

No pain, no gain is a surefire recipe for hurting yourself while drumming. Sure, the edges of my drumming fingers are harder than normal, but the only blister i've ever had was from trying one of those sticks with the rubber grips. The grip came off immediately after that. Another example, last weekend I went to practice with a wicked hangover and after my arm was sore. Why? Bad technique, specifically too much arm!
    Yamaha DTX 500 module
    Anatolian Kappadokia 14" Rock High Hats
    Sabian El Sabor 20" Ride
    Zildjian A 18" Crash Ride
    Istanbul Agop 16" Trash Hit
    1950's Zildjian 14" Splash/light crash
    Istanbul 8" Splash (pre 1997)
    Mapex Black Panther Steel Piccolo
    1965 Premier 3 piece 10, 16, 22

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    Decades ago, I had 2 drummer friends that (for whatever reason) liked my so called finger and wrist control.

I told them that 1) they worked way 2 hard, and 2) they had way too much arm in their playing.

I had them try something that popped into my mind 1 day/night, (it was 1 or the other) to keep their arm out of it (your arm should only move you from drum to drum or drum to cymbal, after that it's wrists and fingers).

What I had them try was this (it's going to sound stupid, but it worked).

At my friend's house we found a end table that fit the bill for what I wanted him to try. The end table was of a height that would let him get his forearms and (obviously) his hands under the table, but not enough room for the arms.

We got a bucket (I told you it was going to sound stupid) and on top of the bucket we put his practice pad. From the top of the practice pad to the bottom of the table was about 7", maybe 8", but no more.

I had him do double stroke rolls and paradiddles and the 1st day it was comical as to how much he hit the bottom of the table, but as he did this for about 20 minutes every day, his hitting of the table went down to almost nothing and, being he lived about 2 blocks from me I could see the improvement in his speed and basic dexterity because with his forearms and hands under that table, he had no choice but to use his wrists and fingers and his arms were kept out of it by the table.

This took place about 25-30 years ago. After about 3-4 months, if I had to put a number to it, his speed went up by 25%, his ability to get around the set probably went up by at least 20%, and he didn't break into a sweat after 5 minutes because he didn't work 1/2 as hard.

Gregg, if you want to improve your wrist and finger, try ^^^^^^^ and loosen up. You play and your body is way too tense.

OldeEnglishD, http://youtu.be/kPUl98Xaghs

I've practiced my doubles this way since I was about 12.
    Nice video, thanks Rick!
    Gretsch USA Custom 22x18, 12x9, 13x10, 14x14, 16x16, 14x5.5 Rosewood Zildjian 14" New Beats, Zildjian 20" A Medium Ride, Sabian 18" Paragon Crash, Zildjian 16" Medium Thin Crash Tama Iron Cobra Single Pedal

Pearl Masters Studio Birch (MBX) 22x16, 10x10, 12x10, 13x11, 16x16, 14x6.5 in White Mist. Zildjian A Custom Hats, Sabian 22 AA with Rivets, Stagg 20" Ghengis Ride, Dream Contact Crashes 16" & 17" Pearl P2002B Double Bass Pedal

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by OldeEnglishD View Post
    Nice video, thanks Rick!

Doubles are simple, but some think themselves into the belief that they are difficult to do on 1 drum, and nearly impossible to move around the set with them at a fairly fast speed. Both thoughts are pure BS.