I actually wanted to be a drummer, but I didn't have any drums. SRV

DW Collectors Series
    Yamaha Tour Custom Moto X
    DW9000 Pedals
    Zildjian K Hybrid and A Custom cymbals

User Info Menu

Default Re: 1 up 1 down

I used to use an 8x10 up.
    "The chances of being attacked and killed by a terrorist are less than the chances of being attacked and killed by your own heart"
    Carrying the message to Garcia. Today and everyday.
    Temple Beth Snare Buzz-Head Rabbi

User Info Menu

I usually play 1 up 2 down using a 12, 14, 16 combination and this works well for me. But, there are times when I will drop the 14 FT and go 12 to 16 and this also works well for me. I tend to tune my rack tom medium to low pitch as this is what suits the drum/head best to my ears. The 14 FT is a good drum but is far more picky about its preferred tuning and is why I drop that if I'm going to go 1 up 1 down. I typically play rock styles so this will also have a bearing on my choices.
    PDP | Black Panther | Sabian |

User Info Menu

13x9

User Info Menu

Mine's more of an 11, 18 22, the old Premiers have some slightly off measurements...

The point on the progression is an interesting one, and why I believe 1 up 1 down is harder to play for lower level players like myself.

Sure, you can do linear fills, but unlike say a 5 piece, it can sound a bit strange depending on the song and the result is you have to think about how you move between the drums a lot more. Rudiments become even more helpful to know and I find myself starting fills more on the FT, and I tend to play the snare in between the two toms more than i might otherwise. This is totally fine as Mitch Mitchell is my favorite drummer and he did this all the time

User Info Menu

I run 2 up for most gigs, but when I shoot YT videos, I use just whatever I need and end up 1/1 quite a lot. I will either go 10/14 or 12/16. I've never really liked 12/14, even for jazz. Lately I've been playing with the Benny Greb type 10/16 and I really like it. I just got an 8, so 8/12/16 is in my future.

Edit - the 8/12/16 was a bust. The size difference between the 8 and 12 is so huge that it's hard to get the drum reasonably lined up. Oh well.
    Last edited by Redeye-OLD; 01-15-2017 at 01:49 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    13x9

Since I picked up a 12x8 and another 13x9 3ply shells, I'm thinking of starting out with a 12/16 combo on my vintage Ludwig project. I don't quite have enough large classic lugs yet to complete the full kit, but the 12x8 toms used small classic lugs. If I use the 12" and steal the lugs off the two 13x9's, I can assemble the kick and floor tom. Not as true to "vintage" design, but it may be a nice mix of modern sizes with vintage shell sound. Eventually I can find some more large lugs and then add a 13" to the mix.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    Since I picked up a 12x8 and another 13x9 3ply shells, I'm thinking of starting out with a 12/16 combo on my vintage Ludwig project. I don't quite have enough large classic lugs yet to complete the full kit, but the 12x8 toms used small classic lugs. If I use the 12" and steal the lugs off the two 13x9's, I can assemble the kick and floor tom. Not as true to "vintage" design, but it may be a nice mix of modern sizes with vintage shell sound. Eventually I can find some more large lugs and then add a 13" to the mix.
    Love that wrap Rich

I play a 12 - 14 combo

Just right for what I'm doing

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by longgun View Post
    Love that wrap Rich

I play a 12 - 14 combo

Just right for what I'm doing
    Thanks Butch and your kit is so tight! Great pic!

User Info Menu

13x10, 16x16, 22x18 and 14x6.5 all maple. Sometimes I may switch 13x10 to 12x10 or use both.
    Last edited by Pearl MCX Man; 01-13-2017 at 09:40 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    13x10, 16x16, 22x18 and 14x6.5 all maple
    Perfecto!

User Info Menu

22X18, 13X10, 16X16, maple/walnut Saturn 3 shells.
    Mmm... Saturns.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Texdrumr View Post
    13 up. 16 down.
    this is my new set up and i love it

User Info Menu

My new 4 piece configuration is a 12" rack with a 16" floor & a 24" kick. LOVE IT!
    Kevin
    DW Performance series - Gun Metal Metallic Lacquer
    24/12/16 6.5x14
    Sabian AA/AAX hi-hats & crashes
    Sabian HHX Evolution ride

Drummers can be very tempomental.....

User Info Menu

I play a 20x16, 14x14, 12x8 and a couple different snares depending on the project.
    DW, Zildjian, Vic Firth, Remo
    http://www.reverbnation.com/jonpnorris

User Info Menu

i am using 12x8, 14x14, 20x16
    I find i tune my 12 different depending on what I am doing. my ft usually stays about as low as it will go without sounding like a flat paper sac.
    DW, Zildjian, Vic Firth, Remo
    http://www.reverbnation.com/jonpnorris

User Info Menu

Refinished Japanese set 13"16"22" with 13" Tama SD.

Drum Set.jpg

Sorry it's upside down but it keeps coming out that way.
    Drumming is the best psychiatry.

User Info Menu

Drum Set.jpg

I like it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Olimpass View Post
    Drum Set.jpg

I like it.
    Thank you.
    Drumming is the best psychiatry.

User Info Menu

I was using a 12 and 14 but it just didn't feel complete... so I added a 16 and I love it much better.

User Info Menu

In my original band I run 12x8 and 16x12. They have a good contrast that I really enjoy writing with.

For my electric setup at church, playing contemporary worship music, I run 1 up and 2 down, programmed to sound like a 12, 14, 16 set up.
    Drummer for Almondy Brown and Redeemer Church of Lakeland | Session Artist | Private Instructor
    Facebook.com/PerryEarlDrums
    Instagram.com/PerryEarlDrums
    Twitter.com/PerryEarlDrums
    AlmondyBrown.com

User Info Menu

Currently playing a 12x8, 16x16 and 22x18 all maple, and I recently put 16x14 birch Tom down next to the maple Tom and it really adds to it although I doubt I will gig it. I have always wanted a 13x9 rack Tom though with a 16ft and a 24 bass drum. That would be my ideal set up.....someday
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

A Rogers 12/16/20 taught me the wisdom of the 4" difference combo.Easy tuning, great range. My current Gretsch SSB replaced it and is my gigging choice these days......
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by bdonley; 05-10-2017 at 10:02 PM.

User Info Menu

I typically switch things up from time to time. I lean toward 10x8 and will substitute a 12x9 too.