Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Snare GAS----I hate and love it

User Info Menu

Default Re: Snare GAS----I hate and love it

Quote Originally Posted by PeterBowman View Post
    Looks like the G Maple won out...only reason....price. Found a great deal on a used one for like $225 in great condition. Waiting on the ok to order it.
    Sweet! Who's the boss?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    Sweet! Who's the boss?
    that would be the wife lol

and the ok was given and the order placed
    Mapex Saturn V Blue Red Hybrid Sparkle 4 pc
    Ludwig 6.5 x14 Black Beauty
    Pearl Demon Drive double pedal
    Sabian 22" Paragon Ride
    Sabian 19" Paragon China
    Sabian 18" AAX Xplosion Crash
    Sabian 18" HHX Xplosion Crash
    Sabian 14" AAX Xlosion Hats
    Sabian 10" AAX Aero Splash
    Sabian XSR Fast Stax
    Wuhan 8" Splash

User Info Menu

that would be the wife lol

and the ok was given and the order placed
    Right on! I didn't clear my new Zildjian K purchases with my "boss" last time and it got ugly. Way to go man!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    Right on! I didn't clear my new Zildjian K purchases with my "boss" last time and it got ugly. Way to go man!
    oh wow, I believe it....when I was still looking to get a new set (before I got my Saturns), I saw a great deal on the Saturn V and I tried to talk her into it and she eventually gave me the "fine, do whatever you want".....needless to say I waited lol.
    Sabian 22" Paragon Ride
    Sabian 19" Paragon China
    Sabian XSR Fast Stax
    Wuhan 8" Splash

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
    Are you looking at the maple/gum or the single ply solid maple ?
    All those 4000 series and USA level snares are top-notch awesome.

I used to have an older 3-ply but traded for the COB............great drum.
    I'm looking at the 10-lug maple/gum drums. I noticed that the Gretsch 3-ply wasn't on your list above, was wondering what you did with it ...

User Info Menu

I've sure had my share of GAS when it comes to snares. I currently have too many (7), and I'm seriously thinking about selling some off in the coming year. I accumulated the snares as I was looking for "my sound," and I have come to the same realization that Rick and Drummer have noted. I definitely have a go to snare (14x5.5 Mapex Black Panther Deep Forest Cherry), or 2 (probably the 14x6 Tama Warlord Masai), and I can use different turnings to get exactly what I want.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

The G Maple should be in by Tuesday...thinking about taking the next day off work to test it out.
    Sabian 22" Paragon Ride
    Sabian 19" Paragon China
    Sabian XSR Fast Stax
    Wuhan 8" Splash

User Info Menu

Just had a couple GAS pains myself- picked up a 60s Keystone - badge Acrolite and a nearly mint 6.5" Supra. Taye Vintage Brass snare, Taye Aluminum, and Taye Steel are all up for sale to make room. Putting one of my Ayottes up for sale soon too. Hope to end up with a small, versatile collection of an Acrolite, Supra, and sometime next year a Black Beauty.
    A simple, elegant design is good engineering.

Axis | Ayotte | Evans | Gibraltar | Ludwig | Pro-Mark | Remo | Roc-N-Soc | SKB | Taye | Vic Firth | Whitney| Yamaha | Zildjian

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MrB View Post
    Just had a couple GAS pains myself- picked up a 60s Keystone - badge Acrolite and a nearly mint 6.5" Supra. Taye Vintage Brass snare, Taye Aluminum, and Taye Steel are all up for sale to make room. Putting one of my Ayottes up for sale soon too. Hope to end up with a small, versatile collection of an Acrolite, Supra, and sometime next year a Black Beauty.
    Atta boy! Ludwig rules!!

all the best...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dangermoney View Post
    I'm looking at the 10-lug maple/gum drums. I noticed that the Gretsch 3-ply wasn't on your list above, was wondering what you did with it ...
    The guy that sold it to me 20 years ago called me crying to buy it back or trade for something................he had found a bass and floor tom to match and wanted to make a mid-50s round badge kit.

He has maybe 35 snares so I knew I could find something to trade for.
    We both decided a USA snare and a USA snare is a fair trade.

That old maple 3-ply may have been the best snare I ever played..........it is a 100% original 1954 WMP............very cool drum.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
    The guy that sold it to me 20 years ago called me crying to buy it back or trade for something................he had found a bass and floor tom to match and wanted to make a mid-50s round badge kit.

He has maybe 35 snares so I knew I could find something to trade for.
    We both decided a USA snare and a USA snare is a fair trade.

That old maple 3-ply may have been the best snare I ever played..........it is a 100% original 1954 WMP............very cool drum.
    That's cool, sounds like your 3-ply found a great home and you get a killer COB in return. As far as metal snares go, COB is my favorite, ... love 'em ...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    I wouldn't pay 2 or 3K for a snare drum (or any single drum for that matter) even if Hannah Ford came with it.
    I would. Problem is; I can hide a snare drum from my wife by keeping it locked in the basement. If I tried that with Hannah, the FBI would get involved, I'd get a reputation as a psychopath, news crews show up at my door and wake the wife up from her nap.....would be a bad scene.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    I would. Problem is; I can hide a snare drum from my wife by keeping it locked in the basement. If I tried that with Hannah, the FBI would get involved, I'd get a reputation as a psychopath, news crews show up at my door and wake the wife up from her nap.....would be a bad scene.
    As long as you don't make Hannah put the lotion in the basket I think you'd be ok lol
    Sabian 22" Paragon Ride
    Sabian 19" Paragon China
    Sabian XSR Fast Stax
    Wuhan 8" Splash

User Info Menu

As long as you don't make Hannah put the lotion in the basket I think you'd be ok lol
    Hey, proper skin care is important
    "It rubs the lotion on its skin, or else it gets the hose again"...

Actually, I'd give her some Barkeepers Friend and she could polish my cymbals all day.

And now, back to our regularly scheduled program.....
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Well back to the topic at hand......The G Maple is in and even though it's used you can barely tell....I'll change the head out on it. I do have a strong feeling I'll be calling into work tomorrow to play around with it. Think this will be fun.
    Sabian 22" Paragon Ride
    Sabian 19" Paragon China
    Sabian XSR Fast Stax
    Wuhan 8" Splash

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    Here I go again. Going to have to get in my bunker for a couple of days.

Simply put, anyone who pays more than $500 for a snare drum, is foolish.

"The dream one would be the Sonor Bell Bronze Artist Series. But that's $2-3,000+."

That should read Suckers Buy Bronze Artist Series. 2 to 3K for a snare drum. Surely they jest.

THE REASONS:

If you can tune, and are willing to take the time to do so, you can make a $500 snare sound every bit as good as this 2-3K snare.

Drums are such a individual instrument as far as the sound that you like, that basically, you could take any set of drums, outside of a Sears set, and make it sound as good as any top of the line set. IF YOU ARE WILLING TO TUNE THEM.

DRUMS IN GENERAL:

I have mentioned more than a few times about a guy that had 1 of the best sounding sets of drums I've ever heard, and they were US Mercury drums. If it were just me saying that, 1 could chalk it up to "Rick liked the way they sounded". The thing is that, over the years I played, I would run into drummers who would say to me, "Have you ever heard ______________ band. Do you believe he gets such a great sound out of freakin' US Mercury's".

It's not the drums you have, it's how you tune the drums you have.

I'll be in my bunker.
    I have four snares. Two DW Collectors, one maple 14x6 and one brass 14x8. Two Ludwig, one hammered bronze 13x3 and one Acrolite 14x5.5. No matter what I do. No tuning. No head combinations, will ever make that Acro sound as good as my others. It is a great drum for $120, but at $500-$600, my other snares simply out perform it on every level. Tone, tuning range, you name it. Now extrapolate that. Sometimes the expensive drums are just marginally better, but that's where and why prices start to go through the roof. A cheaper drum that does 90% of what an expensive drum does is probably the right choice for most drummers. But between competing, top caliber drummers, that 10% is a big difference and to me the huge cost difference is understandable and worth it. When I play shows, I never bring an "it's good enough" attitude. I know some disagree, but I believe my mentality and competitive nature is why my band enjoys the level of success that it does. When I'm eating a comp'd meal at a resort and making $1500 a show I feel pretty confident that my philosophy is right. Hacking out tunes on mediocre gear in a watering hole for a couple hundred bucks just doesn't cut it for me. Understand that in my opinion, I am extremely low on the professional drumming "totem pole". I can understand paying $2000 for a snare. I just can't afford it ��
    Last edited by SunDog; 02-05-2017 at 01:47 PM.

Collectors Black Ice Finishply
    10x8,12x9,15x12,16x14,20x18,24x16
    14X6 Collectors 10 and 6 snare Natural Satin
    14x8 Collectors Black Nickel over Brass