Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moving away from metal to funk!

User Info Menu

Default Moving away from metal to funk!

Hi,
    I am still in the band, but I really wanted to stretch my playing, so I have been working on more funk/ jazz/ fusion stuff.
    I think it is real fun to play and it keeps me on my toes.
    Some of the stuff we play on the band, makes me drift off and I start day dreaming about food, school work and other stuff..! So it's nice to feel like I am using my brain a bit ( 😜 )
    I played this recently, https://vimeo.com/193058492
    I didn't win but there were some amazing players there.
    Bridie

User Info Menu

Default Re: Moving away from metal to funk!

great choice.
    Sounds funny but I play different kits for my different moods and types.
    My new pork pie kit is my funk/jazz kit now. I love getting back into that groove.

Nice work!

User Info Menu

You might want to check out Infectious grooves then. I've always been a fan of Suicidal Tendencies and they slowly morphed into IG over time.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bridie View Post
    Hi,
    I am still in the band, but I really wanted to stretch my playing, so I have been working on more funk/ jazz/ fusion stuff.
    Now you're talkin'! This is where it gets fun! Best of luck to you Bridie! You're figuring it out! Practice hard and don't stop 'til you get there!

User Info Menu

Good show Bridie! And if you want to pursue a career in music knowing how to play many styles will definitely help. Think of Vinnie Colaiuta. He probably was first known for playing with Frank Zappa and jazz might immediately come to mind, but he tours with country star Faith Hill, and was on a Megadeth album. You can't get much more versatile than that. How many drummers can even read music so your path so far has you moving in the right direction. Being a versatile player in all styles, being able to read music, and I guess being comfortable in a studio with a click track will all add to your employ-ability. And to me the downside of only playing metal and some rock is you don't need to play with as much dynamics. With funk you can learn to lay down a smoking groove at a low volume level.

You have accomplished a lot being so young. The sky is the limit!

User Info Menu

Hi, thanks
    I am trying to find someone to jam with not sure how it will go.
    Bridie

User Info Menu

Nice job Bridie! I found myself tapping my foot and bobbing my head along to your playing. Awesome!!
    Stolen from EddieV:
    Boom, ching, boom boom ching, fuggadugga fuggadugga fuggadugga crash. Rinse, Repeat ad-nauseum.

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Come on Mark. You steal copy. Just look at your signature.
    Quote Originally Posted by Texdrumr View Post
    Nothing says 'tough' like a drummer with ducklings on his drums. Ha!

User Info Menu

Nice playing! Always a good idea to expand your horizons. Keep working at it and, as always...........have fun.

User Info Menu

Very cool groove. Keep it up!

User Info Menu

Hi, thanks
    I am trying to find someone to jam with not sure how it will go.
    Bridie
    Bridie,

Just remember you live in the world of YouTube so playing with live musicians isn't always required to learn fusion/funk. Being an old guy I would recommend playing along with The Mahavishnu Orchestra with Billy Cobham and Chick Corea and Return to Forever with Lenny White for fusion. And I believe both are lefties playing a right handed kit like you.

For funk Tower of Power with David Garibaldi and Earth Wind and Fire come to mind.

As you learn and become proficient with more challenging styles you will experience an epiphany of new music possibilities. Enjoy the journey!

Dan

User Info Menu

Excellent choice Bridie! I made the change to a funk based band 5 years ago and have not looked back.

1964 Ludwig Downbeat Black Diamond Pearl (12,13,14,16,20)
    ALL of its Original Hardware

Ludwig Stainless Steel "Bop" (12,14,18)

Ludwig 1947 Standard Deluxe w/Art Gold hardware 3ply Maple 6.5 x 14
    Ludwig 1959 LM470 Auditorium 3ply Mahogany 6.5 x 14
    Ludwig 1959 LM908P Jazz Festival 3ply Mahogany 5.5 x 14
    Ludwig 1964 LM400 Supraphonic 5 x 14
    Ludwig 1968 LM410 Super Sensitive 5 x 14
    Ludwig 1969 LM404 Acrolite 5 x 14
    Ludwig 1976 LM400 Supraphonic 5 x 14
    Ludwig 1977 LM401 Lacquered Brass Supraphonic 5 x 14
    Ludwig 1978 LM405 NYC Bd of Ed Acrolite w/factory Imperial Lugs 6.5 x 14
    Ludwig 1984 LB552 75th Anniversary Engraved Bronze 6.5 x 14
    Ludwig 1990s LM404 Black Galaxy Acrolite 10 Lug w/Silver Monroe Keystone 5 x 14
    Ludwig 2010 LB417BT Engraved Black Beauty 6.5 x 14
    Ludwig 2017 LB402B COB Supraphonic 6.5 x 14
    Ludwig 2020 LC662KTC Hammered Copperphonic w/all Copper Hardware 6.5 x 14
    DW Collectors 3mm Cast Bell Brass 5.5 x 14
    DW/Craviotto 2000 Steam Bent Solid Cherry 5.5 x 14

Zildjian As and A Customs

User Info Menu

I had the pleasure of listening to all of my brothers Maynard Ferguson records growing up. Just posted one in the classic rock thread. Nice playing in your video
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Excellent job Bridie! Every time I see one of your videos, I am impressed with your drive to grow as a drummer. I predict a bright future for whatever you choose to do with your drumming.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

You never fail to amaze me with your playing. I look forward to it and always enjoy it.

User Info Menu

Ayy time to learn Oakland Stroke and Cissy Strut
    "The chances of being attacked and killed by a terrorist are less than the chances of being attacked and killed by your own heart"
    Carrying the message to Garcia. Today and everyday.
    Temple Beth Snare Buzz-Head Rabbi

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Thanks guys,
    I just quit the band too, was scary but I needed to leave that behind , it was good for me these last 5 years and I've learned a lot and look forward to learning more..
    But I have to study in the next few months for school, so something had to give, still seeing my drum tutor every week though
    Bridie
    Last edited by Bridie; 12-21-2016 at 12:23 PM.

User Info Menu

Wow.. big changes! But after re-looking at your first post in this topic it seems like your interest in that band was waning. When you are playing music and your mind is a bunch of other places that does usually mean that music or band isn't for you. But you had 5 years of getting experience playing in front of crowds and there was some drama along the way that gave you some experience in handling that part of being in a band. Keep growing as a drummer and as a person because the future is bright for you. You are still pretty early into what might be a lifelong musical journey. Enjoy it!

User Info Menu

Nice playing.. i am all about the funk.. keep it up

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummerdanva View Post
    Wow.. big changes! But after re-looking at your first post in this topic it seems like your interest in that band was waning. When you are playing music and your mind is a bunch of other places that does usually mean that music or band isn't for you. But you had 5 years of getting experience playing in front of crowds and there was some drama along the way that gave you some experience in handling that part of being in a band. Keep growing as a drummer and as a person because the future is bright for you. You are still pretty early into what might be a lifelong musical journey. Enjoy it!
    Thanks, yeah I was getting a bit frustrated with it. I hope to meet people who will stretch my playing, so fingers crossed

User Info Menu

The challenge you might have is you play beyond your years and might need to find older musicians to stretch your playing. Not sure how many younger musicians are into funk and fusion and more challenging genres. Any universities close with music programs? If so there might be some more advanced younger musicians there. I do wish you success as your journey continues.

User Info Menu

If you can play it all you will be in demand ... keep up the good work

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummerdanva View Post
    The challenge you might have is you play beyond your years and might need to find older musicians to stretch your playing. Not sure how many younger musicians are into funk and fusion and more challenging genres. Any universities close with music programs? If so there might be some more advanced younger musicians there. I do wish you success as your journey continues.
    That's what my tutor said! He hopes I can fit in with some 16-25 ish age range.
    Hoping to meet some through someone I know, he runs musical theatre and knows a lot of younger musicians.
    Bridie

User Info Menu

That's what my tutor said! He hopes I can fit in with some 16-25 ish age range.
    Hoping to meet some through someone I know, he runs musical theatre and knows a lot of younger musicians.
    Bridie
    Another option that I believe is used today is meeting musicians through YouTube or another online presence and playing together virtually. I guess it would be more for recording by playing parts and sending files back and forth until someone puts the entire thing together. Also think about Hit Like A Girl. Put together a killer video and it can be a way to get your name out there to a pretty wide audience. I know your past experience wasn't great I am gathering in how it was run but I thought last year there were less participants but the quality has gotten better. I also have seen some incredible musicians busking in some of the bigger cities and posting videos. Just a few "think outside the box" ideas. You are a terrific young drummer who gets better each video you post. Hooking up with better musicians might take a little time but look at it like someone is also looking for a young talented drummer and just needs to make your connection. In some ways the music business is harder today but through an online presence you can get noticed by a much larger audience than when I started out almost 50 years ago.

User Info Menu

Thanks Dan