Thread: Rikki Rockett

User Info Menu

Default Rikki Rockett

So I listen to various styles of music and try to pick up on things from various drummers. Today, I heard a live version of Poison's "Something to Believe In", and the tuning of Rikki Rockett's drums was pretty stellar. I put the ear buds in and listened to get a better feel of it, and dang near got chills listening to it.

His kick drum is on point, the toms sound great, and the snap of the snare drum are dang near perfect.

It certainly makes me want to get the tuning key out and go to work.

Six Piece Mapex Saturn V, Five Piece DW Performance Series, NOS Slingerland Snares, Centent Ardor and Emperor Cymbals

User Info Menu

Default Re: Rikki Rockett

Good tuning, but I suspect a fair amount of credit goes to the magic of an experienced (and expensive) sound man!
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

could be triggered..... the snare sounds too papery to me.
    Last edited by slinky; 12-17-2016 at 08:38 AM.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    Good tuning, but I suspect a fair amount of credit goes to the magic of an experienced (and expensive) sound man!
    There is a lot to be said for a good sound man, that is for sure!
    Six Piece Mapex Saturn V, Five Piece DW Performance Series, NOS Slingerland Snares, Centent Ardor and Emperor Cymbals

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DrumWhipper View Post
    So I listen to various styles of music and try to pick up on things from various drummers. Today, I heard a live version of Poison's "Something to Believe In", and the tuning of Rikki Rockett's drums was pretty stellar. I put the ear buds in and listened to get a better feel of it, and dang near got chills listening to it.

His kick drum is on point, the toms sound great, and the snap of the snare drum are dang near perfect.

It certainly makes me want to get the tuning key out and go to work.

+1..........does sound great

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    A sound man will make or break you...............an often overlooked part of the show

Quote Originally Posted by slinky View Post
    could be triggered..... the snare sounds too papery to me.
    Did they even have triggers in '93?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by longgun View Post
    Did they even have triggers in '93?
    Yes. Yes, they did.

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=longgun;697311]
    A sound man will make or break you...............an often overlooked part of the show
    QUOTE]

I agree 100%
    Never piss off your sound guy.. he is your lifeline for sure.

User Info Menu

Ricki has his own drum company, I wonder if he made the kit on the live recording.
    click to see my kit re-veneer/finish
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...168#post379168