Thread: I need some advice about drum triggers

User Info Menu

Default I need some advice about drum triggers

Does anyone know the difference, or which is better, between Roland triggers and DDRUM triggers?

And.....

If I was going to get a few pads, a brain (besides my own thankyou) and some triggers, what would be the best way to approach that?

Should I leave myself to the mercy of the retailers or do you "drummer-land" people have some good advice for me?

Thoughts?
    Gary

User Info Menu

well alot of my favorite drummers (that do trigger) use ddrum triggers
    jojo mayer has used them alot
    i would say either are a safe bet though
    both pretty reputable companies

but outside of that i dont have a whole lot of experience using triggers =[
    sorry bro

User Info Menu

Default to trigger or not to trigger ???

I have been experimenting with these for about 4 years now. I started with an Alesys DM Pro module which worked great but then it failed and several different repair shops couldn't fix it. They don't make them anymore so I tried the DM5, what a hunk a' junk that was. 2 new ones out of the box were DOA and the 3 one just didn't have the benefits the DM PRO had so back it went. I'm using Roland Vdrums now and very happy with it. As far as triggers, there are lots of things to consider. I didn't want anything mounted external so I went with a DRUM DIAL model that I mounted internally on my acoustic drums and connected to a female 1/4" jack so I can plug'em right in. This is the best settup for me as I look to set up and tear down my kit for gigs as easily as possible. I also use a Hart Dynamics multi-pad for effects and other drums sounds. All of the different sounds from the module just can't be done ay other way!

User Info Menu

Default Drum Dial Triggers...

Quote Originally Posted by ThunderMaker View Post
    I have been experimenting with these for about 4 years now. I started with an Alesys DM Pro module which worked great but then it failed and several different repair shops couldn't fix it. They don't make them anymore so I tried the DM5, what a hunk a' junk that was. 2 new ones out of the box were DOA and the 3 one just didn't have the benefits the DM PRO had so back it went. I'm using Roland Vdrums now and very happy with it. As far as triggers, there are lots of things to consider. I didn't want anything mounted external so I went with a DRUM DIAL model that I mounted internally on my acoustic drums and connected to a female 1/4" jack so I can plug'em right in. This is the best settup for me as I look to set up and tear down my kit for gigs as easily as possible. I also use a Hart Dynamics multi-pad for effects and other drums sounds. All of the different sounds from the module just can't be done ay other way!
    Is this what you have?

http://www.drumdial.com/drum_trigger.htm
    Gary

User Info Menu

YES, I cut the 1/4 jack off and soldered it to a female 1/4 mouted in the shell. Just like plugging in an electric guitar. The triggers are mounted inside the acoustic drums via double sided tape up near the batter head about 1 inch from the edge. The Roland V-drum allow you to dial in the response you want and control things really well. I couldn't get this from the Alesys units I had and I don't recommend waisting any time with Alesys products although the price is attractive.

The benefits are that I get great sound from great looking drum kit and do not have to waste time with mics & EQ and feedback and all the other issues for live gigs. I like playing the acoustice much better than any of the electric pads I've tried. Good Luck!

User Info Menu

Default I know a bit about converting to electric

Let me know if I can help !
    E Drums !! !

There are no loud instruments just loud players !

Protect Your Hearing !!!!

User Info Menu

wicked setup 2slow

User Info Menu

Default Got Some Photos?

Quote Originally Posted by ThunderMaker View Post
    YES, I cut the 1/4 jack off and soldered it to a female 1/4 mouted in the shell. Just like plugging in an electric guitar. The triggers are mounted inside the acoustic drums via double sided tape up near the batter head about 1 inch from the edge.
    Do you have some photos of above mentioned?
    Gary

User Info Menu

I'll get some for you. The difference in what I did and what is pictured above is that I am still using the same batter & resonant heads I've always used so the drums feel the same when playing and they still make an acoustic sound. The mesh heads pictured about feel "different". I looked at this mesh head set up and it can only be used like an electronic kit, which is fine if your just practicing in your basement. I perform in live shows and if the drum module dies, I can at least throw some mics on the kit and finish the show. With an all electronic kit, if the module dies, your night is over unless you have a backup! The other benefit of my setup is that is a minimal investment, the triggers are inexpensive (approx $40 for 5) and no heads to buy!