Thread: Ludwig Epic instead of Cs custom?

User Info Menu

Default Ludwig Epic instead of Cs custom?

As you all probably know by now, I have a 5 piece Ludwig cs custom set. 12, 13, 16, 22. Got it for $400 with a couple of cheap cymbals and later upgraded them. Now I found a 6 piece Ludwig Epic on kijiji for $400. Sizes are 8 10 12 16 22. I'm seriously considering selling the cs customs and getting these. Both are birch kits. The Epic has a beautiful natural black burst finish. I've always wanted a 3 up or even a 2 up kit but never had the sizes. The only thing is I wouldn't be able to go back to a 1 up 2 down which I love deeply. Is it worth it?
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

Default Re: Ludwig Epic instead of Cs custom?

Six pieces of Ludwig Epic is worth $400 any day......I would not hesitate.
    Epic construction is two plies of birch over two plies of maple over two plies of birch.

Epics are an example of one of the best (big name) mid-level lines to come out of China; if you asked me, these didn't work for Ludwig because they priced them too high compared to the competition for this specific market...............they were priced higher because they were built so much better.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

I agree with Ricardo. $400 for that type of quality is well worth it. I hope it works out for you Mike!

User Info Menu

I got my Ludwig accent CS customs for $200 in pristine condition. I like them but I admit to thinking about my upgrade all the time. I decided to stick with them until I can make a true upgrade and not a lateral move. Research has led me to the conclusion that my birch accent CS customs are actually more of a mid level set. I can't comment on the other set you mentioned I really don't know much about them.

User Info Menu

Is there a reason I'm not seeing as to why you cannot go down from a six piece kit to a three piece with the bigger kit? Every kit can be down sized, unless the toms are permanently mounted. But, I have never seen that. Unless it is the tom sizes you are worried about, but, I see no problem with the sizes.
    1976 Tama Imperialstar Saturn 12+1 Platina6,8,10,12,13,14,15,16 concert toms, 16, 18 floor toms, 2-22x18 Bass drums.
    1971 5x14 Ludwig acrolite snare
    Tama metalworks snare 13x6
    DW collectors Maple Blue Glass7x8, 8x10, 9x12 rack toms, 11x14, 13x16 hanging toms, 18x23 bass, 8 and 12 timbale toms, 5.5x10 Ten and Six All Maple snare, 5.5x14 Supersolid snare, DW 9000 rack system, DW 5002 Double bass pedal, DW 5000 Hi-Hat stand, DW 9000 Snare stand.
    Sabian Xs20 cymbals: 16 & 18 crash, 20 ride, 14 hats, 8 splash, 18 china.
    Zildjian cymbals: 21 ride, 15 hats. All '70's era.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by tamashane View Post
    Is there a reason I'm not seeing as to why you cannot go down from a six piece kit to a three piece with the bigger kit? Every kit can be down sized, unless the toms are permanently mounted. But, I have never seen that. Unless it is the tom sizes you are worried about, but, I see no problem with the sizes.

Not what I meant. I mean a 3 up kit. 3 mounted toms above the kick and one floor tom. The problem is if I wanted to go back to a 1 up 2 down, then I would have to use the 12" as a floor tom.
    Last edited by FlyByNight; 12-22-2016 at 06:26 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike