Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking at the Ludwig breakbeat.

User Info Menu

Default Looking at the Ludwig breakbeat.

I have been looking at the Ludwig breakbeat by Qestlove. A gentleman was playing on one at GC and it sounded great for a small 4 peice kit. Infact when i walked in at first i thought it was a larger drum kit being played. The bass drum sounded better than a 22" or 24" bass drum. GC put a 16" emad bass drum head on it and it really made a big difference. I even asked the gentleman if he was going to buy the kit and he told me if he had the money on him he sure would buy it. Plus the video's that i have watched and reveiws that i have read i feel the kit would be worth buying.
    It is so amazing what they have done to drums over the years. I evan would bet that the big name drummers of the big band era would evan be surprised at how small the kits of today are and the big sound that they make. Does anyone else own this drum kit and can tell me if it would be worth buying?

Keep drumming
    Gregg

User Info Menu

Default Re: Looking at the Ludwig breakbeat.

IMO, this is one of the best things that has come out of Ludwig in quite some time. I personally know several drummers that use them for small gigs in my area. They're portable and sound huge when tuned right. And for 300-400 dollars, they're a steal.

Here's the end of a Youtube series on tuning them. If you follow the series, there is a part for tuning each drum. He gets a great sound out of the kit ...

I plan on getting a shell pack for myself some day ...

User Info Menu

I love my Sonor Safari's. I've played them in large clubs (no mics ) small clubs House party's,etc. and they performed very well! The only draw back is the snare that comes with those small kits OK, but I use a 5x13 custom Taye studio maple w/my kit & it sounds killer! I checked out the Ludwigs when they first came out, but I liked the sound of my Sonor better. I paid $320 out the door for mine when they first came out. Like everything else the price always goes up.

User Info Menu

Nice little set for small club dates, but the tuning is horrible. That guy must have studied under those 2 guys from Evans.

User Info Menu

I play one for a jazz band I play with and love it. Kind of wish the bass drum was maybe a few inches bigger but other than that, sounds real nice.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

Nice little set for small club dates, but the tuning is horrible. That guy must have studied under those 2 guys from Evans.
    All I hear is boing, and snare buzz---worst sounding kit I've ever heard---I would never waste my money on those little toy drums

User Info Menu

I'm a dedicated minimalist and small drum guy, but I don't really get the 16 bass thing. An 18 is only 2 inches larger in diameter, takes up no more space ( see the gap between the top of bass and the bottom of the rack tom in the breakbeat picture above), but gives a fuller bass sound. My Gretsch boppy set up takes up not a cubic inch more space than the above drums. They tune up easily and sound like real drums. My sizes are 18, 14 floor, 10 or 12 up tom, with 14 Ludwig Supra.

all the best...

User Info Menu

the toms , 16" bass drum? I get the concept, tiny room tiny stage tiny drumset but once you put the normal sized hardware all around it you're not saving much room. Plus you'll need the right cymbals to balance out the sound of the tiny drumset. Contradicting

To me it seems like the manufactures found a way to make money off a gimmick
    Last edited by slinky; 12-21-2016 at 09:14 AM.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

I would have to agree with the guys who believe it's a marketing gimmick . None of my pro friends have one or believe in the hype . I converted a 16 inch floor tom I had laying around to a bass drum and I use that for rehearsals if I have to move gear . All I use is the bass drum and a snare and hats . I don't even bother putting it in a bag or case , I just throw it in the back of the truck and go .
    I used this set up ONCE at a Sunday brunch gig because the guy who hired me insisted . The disadvantages far outweighed the advantages . After a while I was having to hit the kick harder and it sounded like a box ! The people in the audience thought it was "cute" but no one took it seriously and some even asked if I was trying to prove a point using a "toy" drum kit ! I've played in many small clubs and bars , the kind most people would use a kit like this in , and when I set up my "full sized" kit the bartenders and club managers always comment that they are glad I showed up with a "real" drumset and not one of those "toy things" . It has been my experience that most people would rather hear a full sized kit than the smaller "breakbeats" kit . When I ask them why they say that they tell me they feel as if the drummer doesn't care enough about the gig to bring a full sized kit . And the fact that I bring my full sized kit and fit it in the same place the others put their small kits in totally blows away the concept of it saving space ..at least to the bar managers ! I do this for a living and I compete with other drummers here in town for gigs . I have NEVER lost a gig because I don't have a kit like this nor have I ever GOTTEN a gig because I do .

User Info Menu

Yep, classic marketing. Create a market for a perceived need. Hire a name, high visibility spokesperson and presto........sell stuff.

User Info Menu

I have been saying that for years.

I wonder how many drummers have laid out 2-3K for the " magic" snare drum only to find out 6 months down the road "after the thrill is gone" that it sounds just like a $350 snare.

As for the tiny drum set, I wouldn't play that on a bet.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jedi View Post
    The people in the audience thought it was "cute" but no one took it seriously and some even asked if I was trying to prove a point using a "toy" drum kit !
    This is exactly what I would expect.
    16" bass drum ?.....................no.
    C'mon -- my FT is 18".
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

I'm definitely not a pro, but I love my kit with a 16"BD. Granted, it doesn't make a huge difference in stage room, especially in depth. It does save a foot or so in set-up width. It also helps that I only use one cymbal stand with boom arm for the ride and one 16" crash. The smaller diameter BD also allows the ride stand to be moved in closer. With 7 guys, a foot or two can make a noticeable difference at some venues. I found the rebound of the beater on a 16"BD seems to reduce foot fatigue as well....once I learned how to adapt to it. Sound has never been an issue using an EMAD batter and a mic stuck in the reso port hole. Without a mic, it can be weak...but I have the same issue with my 22" BD kits.

The biggest benefit for me is lugging the kit around. I can carry the whole kit in bags by myself in one trip. It also takes less space in back of the truck. Once again, with gear for 7 guys, it makes a noticeable difference.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    Once again, with gear for 7 guys, it makes a noticeable difference.
    I'd lose a couple of guys.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by inthpktplayer View Post
    I'd lose a couple of guys.
    LOL. Yeah. But, it sure is fun having so many in the band. Plus, I can have 3 guys call in sick for a gig and still play it.

Actually, as of a couple weeks ago, we're down to 6 guys. One guy is going to New Zealand to study sheep farming. I think we'll get by OK...
    -Brian

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

"One guy is going to New Zealand to study sheep farming."

I saw Gene Wilder do that in a movie. He liked it.

User Info Menu

Don't get me wrong I will still have my Gretsch catalina maple kit. Plus if I need to use it I can. But around here in Oklahoma we do have some places that I have been to where you would really need a small kit. We have book stores and coffee and wine (guess you could call them pubs) where you would need a small kit.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummerboy79 View Post
    Don't get me wrong I will still have my Gretsch catalina maple kit. Plus if I need to use it I can. But around here in Oklahoma we do have some places that I have been to where you would really need a small kit. We have book stores and coffee and wine (guess you could call them pubs) where you would need a small kit.
    I hear you and it's a decision that you'll have to make for yourself. I have heard them played in settings like those mentioned above and they're not too bad considering, but they're surely not for everyone nor for every musical situation. There are plenty of Youtube videos that showcase these kits with various tunings and music styles so check them out if you can. If you can, try to go out and hear one played in a live setting and/or try to play one yourself if these options are available to you. Also, check out the build quality of the various pieces and parts as I have heard that there are issues with some of the components.

Personally, I use a Roland electronic kit when space and/or volume is an issue but I must admit that I am nervous about the reliability of electronics which is why I am considering a compact, portable acoustic kit for smaller venues. I have looked at the breakbeats and have also considered making my own like some of the guys on this forum have done. You might be able to piece together a kit from used drums in the sizes that you prefer ... just another option. This way, you could get a 14 inch floor and 18 inch kick instead of the 13/16 that comes with the breakbeats.

Another option is to buy one used and if you don't like it, sell it ... you should be able to get your money back ...

Here is a link to a decent review on the kit, problems and all, along with a wealth of information on the subject of compact drums ...

Btw, I do agree with the tuning of the drums in the video, too much pitch bend for my taste but some people like it ...

Best of luck to you ...
    Last edited by dangermoney; 12-21-2016 at 05:15 PM. Reason: Add link to compact drums review

User Info Menu

"One guy is going to New Zealand to study sheep farming."

I saw Gene Wilder do that in a movie. He liked it.
    Yeah we're all jealous of him....Traveling to an exotic new land and meeting new sheep. It don't git no better than that for us farm boys.
    -Brian

User Info Menu

You know something is a gimmick when the drummer who's product it is doesn't even use it himself. I have read (maybe here) that ?love uses it as a warm up kit, but that's not really a hard endorsement.

I think if you really want something compact, take a 10, 12-14 16 kit, make the FT the BD and adjust the toms accordingly (even better if you already have a 7 piece kit with a 8" tom). While it might look strange, you could also skip the idea of having a tom on your right and have a two up zero down set up if your tom mounts can work that way.

Personally, if you want a small set up, just take your BD and snare
    Yamaha DTX 500 module
    Anatolian Kappadokia 14" Rock High Hats
    Sabian El Sabor 20" Ride
    Zildjian A 18" Crash Ride
    Istanbul Agop 16" Trash Hit
    1950's Zildjian 14" Splash/light crash
    Istanbul 8" Splash (pre 1997)
    Mapex Black Panther Steel Piccolo
    1965 Premier 3 piece 10, 16, 22

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hippychip View Post
    All I hear is boing, and snare buzz---worst sounding kit I've ever heard---I would never waste my money on those little toy drums
    The bass is not a bass drum. It's a tom. Way too small even for a little kit like that. If I was to get a small kit, it would be the frequent flyer.
    Last edited by FlyByNight; 12-21-2016 at 06:54 PM.
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by FlyByNight View Post
    If I was to get a small kit, it would be the frequent flyer.
    +1

The most practical design thus far IMO. But they are expensive ...

User Info Menu

the ****tail drums were kind of cool. does anybody still make those? it needed or maybe came with a special pedal to kick the bottom of it.

i think drumbledore had one.

Last edited by slinky; 12-21-2016 at 09:51 PM.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by slinky View Post
    the ****tail drums were kind of cool. does anybody still make those? it needed or maybe came with a special pedal to kick the bottom of it.

i think drumbledore had one.

Yes, Drumbledore had an orange Trixon c ocktail kit.

User Info Menu

Well, I like the Ludwig Breakbeats I had received especially since they were bought for me by an employer a while back when they first came out. They were only available in blue azure sparkle. I've yet to try a 16" emad on them and different heads than the stock heads which sound decent.