Thread: Am I making the right decision?

User Info Menu

Default Am I making the right decision?

Hey all,

So I would like to know what you think. Today I practiced with this duo, singer and guitar. The singer is so-so, the guitarist has just started playing after a 6 year gap. I think he's about 25ish, the singer, she's 23. I don't know them very well, but i did have a nice chat with the singer last night at the bar she works at. The practice went alright, they mostly want to do covers, when I suggested the rethink how they play Hard Day's Night and came up with my own idea, they accepted it, and magically, it worked to

I explained to them afterwards that important for me is that they try to get better, to practice on their own and get teachers (I even told them I reached out to a fantastic drummer I saw sunday for lessons, on top of my current mentor). They seemed to be receptive, and were happy they had a drummer (and eventually we'll get a bassist).

My reasoning for joining them is three-fold. First, I won't be able to hide any of my mistakes behind the amazing playing of someone else in the band (like I sometimes do), so I will have to make sure I play very well. Second, I am more experienced than them, so it seems they will take my advice and I can put a bit of my imprint on the music more than in my other projects. And finally, and this is the main reason, I figure I have been extremely lucky to play in bands with some really good musicians. One new project, the guitar player plays like SRV, to the point I have gotten distracted during his solos, they are so good! So my reasoning for playing with these lower level people is that maybe I should give back to the music universe and help develop some musicians just as I have been given the chance with better musicians.

I think the first two points are good reasons, I'm more curious about if my head is in the right place on this third one. I told them that before we take a bass player, we (meaning they) need to get the songs down. And of course if I don't see any improvements I can always leave, but maybe this wasn't the right thing to do? It feels right, but maybe I'm wrong. What do you think?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Am I making the right decision?

Do it. You will be able to play more of what you want to play with this band and you get to preach a little too! As long as you don't think they are going to bring you down.
    Too Much Stuff.

User Info Menu

My 2 cents:

If you have the time to invest in something like that, then I would do it. First and probably most importantly, it seems like you'll be able to help these musicians grow. That should be very fulfilling. Additionally, it sounds like you'll be able to shape and mold the direction, sound and identity of this band and have a pretty substantial impact on what the end product becomes. Sounds like a win/win to me.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by inthpktplayer View Post
    My 2 cents:

If you have the time to invest in something like that, then I would do it. First and probably most importantly, it seems like you'll be able to help these musicians grow. That should be very fulfilling. Additionally, it sounds like you'll be able to shape and mold the direction, sound and identity of this band and have a pretty substantial impact on what the end product becomes. Sounds like a win/win to me.
    ^^^This could be exactly right.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

I agree with the previous posts. However, I do suspect that at some point you will feel a need to return to your previous band environment where you are playing with other musicians that challenge you to be a better player, in which case you may have to leave them behind or devote less attention to them. One question that comes to mind is do you think that you'll be prepared for this if the time comes?

Best of luck to you ... this can be a very rewarding experience ...

User Info Menu

thanks guys! I really appreciate the advice here!!

actually, i'm going to stay with my other projects too. they said they want to practice 2x per week, I told them I only need to come to 1, as the songs on drums are really easy, so if they make progress great, if not, move on

User Info Menu

Now that's the best of both worlds ... go for it ...

User Info Menu

Hey J...I would go for it. Every reason you gave us were valid. Right on man!