Thread: Vintage Ludwig Vistalite set

User Info Menu

Default Vintage Ludwig Vistalite set

I was given an '70s Ludwig Vistalite set earlier this year from a co-worker that needs a little work. I just need a few more misc. items to make it complete. Its a 5-piece... 14x6.5 snare 14x10 & 15x12 rack toms 18x16 floor tom and a 24x14 bass. All I need is two p2240 lug casings for the snare, a hoop and tension rods/claws for the bass. What would be the best choice heads for this kit. I will be learning to play a set of drums(long awaited newbie). I also need hardware and cymbals.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Vintage Ludwig Vistalite set

Warning: asking about head choice is like most other questions of this nature. Every drummer will give you a different answer. It's a very personal choice and usually a journey of experimentation when dealing with a new kit.
    As a new drummer, you have a lot to learn about playing and equipment. It can be overwhelming when broken down. Heads, sticks, cymbals, pedals, hardware, snares...all are based on personal preference and intended use of the item in question.
    That being said...
    Remo coated Emperors on top with clear Ambassadors on the bottom for your toms will probably sound amazing.
    Snare and kick drum heads are a huge topic as well and have been covered in many many threads over the years.
    Have fun finding your sound my friend.
    Last edited by Johnny G; 12-22-2016 at 11:45 AM.
    Proudly playing:
    Doc Sweeney Drums
    A bunch of snares
    A bunch of cymbals

Off-Set double pedals

I think I love to play the drums simply because you get to hit 'em!!!

User Info Menu

I don't think I could put anything but clear heads on a Vista. Coated heads on clear drums would be like putting raised white letter tires on a Porsche. Functional but doesn't fit the image!
    Last edited by N2Bluz; 12-23-2016 at 07:51 AM.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Go with blue hydraulics for the visual win.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

go old school with Remo power dots

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    Go with blue hydraulics for the visual win.
    I agree, that is, if they're blue Vistalites.

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    go old school with Remo power dots
    I agree and like this choice too.

User Info Menu

Can't figure out how to post pics, but its clear. And thanks for the suggestions.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by perraultm View Post
    Can't figure out how to post pics, but its clear. And thanks for the suggestions.
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ures-7721.html

plus, I believe you need about 25 posts or so first before you can post pics

User Info Menu

If the kit is clear, you can't do anything but clear heads, right? I'd go Emperors over ambassadors. Remo Control Sound with the black dot will give you an authentic 70's vintage look but I think the added weight of the Emps works well with Vistalites. All clear looks so cool too.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by g-man View Post
    if the kit is clear, you can't do anything but clear heads, right? I'd go emperors over ambassadors. Remo control sound with the black dot will give you an authentic 70's vintage look but i think the added weight of the emps works well with vistalites. All clear looks so cool too.
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

14/15/18/24? Those are some awesome sizes. Especially for Vistas. That's a great score. I agree with the clear Remo CS with dot.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

I'll add another vote for ALL clear heads---Emperors over Ambassadors would be my first choice---putting coated heads on Vistas is like putting a trenchcoat on a swimsuit model

User Info Menu

If you want to set them up like they were back in the day, I would say CS black/silver dot or clear emporers over clear ambassadors on the toms, coated/clear ambassador over ambassador/diplomat on the snare, and CS black/silver dot over clear Ludwig logo resonant on the kick.

Substitute Evans equivalents if you want to go that route ...

User Info Menu

I had a set of original 70's Vistalites (bought them new!). Please don't use hydraulic heads on these. That's like throwing a towel on the drums. I had silver dots and black dots. Let them ring and sing!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by alvanko View Post
    I had a set of original 70's Vistalites (bought them new!). Please don't use hydraulic heads on these. That's like throwing a towel on the drums. I had silver dots and black dots. Let them ring and sing!
    I agree with this-hydraulics just kill sound. Played a blue kit with them and every stroke/ hit was muffled so much I couldn't hear the drum!
    Last edited by slinglander; 12-24-2016 at 08:46 AM. Reason: Spelling
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

Another clear head option might be Evans EC2 SST's with G1 clear resos and an Emad2 for the bass batter.

User Info Menu

Ludwig silver dots
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

I found the Evans website to be quite helpful...even if you don't go with that brand, there are usually equivalents in other brands and you get a good idea of what each head is for and how it sounds...

User Info Menu

I had a killer double bass set of Vistas in the 70's....wish I still had 'em. They came from Ludwig with Clear Silver Dot Rockers

User Info Menu

Thanks for all the suggestions! Appreciate the help.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny2eyes View Post
    I had a killer double bass set of Vistas in the 70's....wish I still had 'em. They came from Ludwig with Clear Silver Dot Rockers
    Interesting post. When I lived in MN., right around 1979, I sold that exact kit. Looking back, I really, really wish I'd have held onto it. Sounds like you and I are in the same boat.

To the OP - just realize that those Vistas sound a bit "tubby" no matter what heads you decide to go with, but, they are still awesome drums! Hang onto them!!!
    Stolen from EddieV:
    Boom, ching, boom boom ching, fuggadugga fuggadugga fuggadugga crash. Rinse, Repeat ad-nauseum.

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Come on Mark. You steal copy. Just look at your signature.
    Quote Originally Posted by Texdrumr View Post
    Nothing says 'tough' like a drummer with ducklings on his drums. Ha!

User Info Menu

I played a totally clear acrylic kit for a couple of years from a different manufacturer. Clear Emperors looked great, but I really fell in love with the clear Remo CS (Black Dots).

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Olimpass View Post
    Another clear head option might be Evans EC2 SST's with G1 clear resos and an Emad2 for the bass batter.
    That's exactly how I had my Zickos kit set up...good call!