Thread: Intermediate practice suggestions

User Info Menu

Default Intermediate practice suggestions

I've wanted to ask yall this so now here we go:

I'm sometimes not sure about my practice exercises. I play a long to a few songs, especially ones I should learn for a project, and sometimes just to youtube mixes. In this area, I think my song playing is fine enough. I am just curious if I might be missing something that will make me better beyond what I am doing.

Right now it's a lot of the paradiddlediddle to get my 6 stroke roll down (eventual goal to copy mitchy mitch), and a few of the other rudiments and exercises you can find on this poster:

https://www.scribd.com/doc/229034602...ifetime-POSTER

I sometimes do some work with odd rolls (1-8) and herta, on my BD as well. I guess what I'm really asking is am I missing something major or am I just getting impatient which is typical when you reach the intermediate level of any skill.

Thanks for any suggestions!

User Info Menu

Default Re: Intermediate practice suggestions

One is never advanced enough to stop working from the Stick Control book.

Also, I'd recommend finding books geared toward intermediate and up and start working through them. The best thing about that is a new book changes the energy and reduces the boredom. It also gives you new ways at looking at and using things you already know. Take come of your Christmas loot and order three books online. There is a thread somewhere here that gives recommendations.
    Life's too short to play the same solo twice. Improvise!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnySticks View Post
    One is never advanced enough to stop working from the Stick Control book.

Also, I'd recommend finding books geared toward intermediate and up and start working through them. The best thing about that is a new book changes the energy and reduces the boredom. It also gives you new ways at looking at and using things you already know. Take come of your Christmas loot and order three books online. There is a thread somewhere here that gives recommendations.
    Order online...not sure what that means, you mean download illegally? Good old SC never leaves the music stand...but you have given me a good idea, thanks!
    Yamaha DTX 500 module
    Anatolian Kappadokia 14" Rock High Hats
    Sabian El Sabor 20" Ride
    Zildjian A 18" Crash Ride
    Istanbul Agop 16" Trash Hit
    1950's Zildjian 14" Splash/light crash
    Istanbul 8" Splash (pre 1997)
    Mapex Black Panther Steel Piccolo
    1965 Premier 3 piece 10, 16, 22

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jgziegler View Post
    Order online...not sure what that means, you mean download illegally? Good old SC never leaves the music stand...but you have given me a good idea, thanks!
    i think he just means order books online.

But check out "The New Breed" book, Gary Chester I think. It's full of difficult independence exercises. I'd say its intermediate/advanced.
    Too Much Stuff.

User Info Menu

Not illegally. Just buy them.
    Life's too short to play the same solo twice. Improvise!

User Info Menu