Thread: In ear monitor

User Info Menu

Default In ear monitor

I'm looking at going from a floor monitor to in ears. Has anyone tried these, and if so, are they good enough to work or should I look for something else?

http://www.shure.com/americas/produc...ting-earphones
    Six Piece Mapex Saturn V, Five Piece DW Performance Series, NOS Slingerland Snares, Centent Ardor and Emperor Cymbals

User Info Menu

Default Re: In ear monitor

never tried them, yet, I'm thinking about getting a pair as well.
    At the moment I'm using m6pro's from men audio, they're great but I find them lacking on the bass side

User Info Menu

I found these as well and may get these instead.

https://www.amazon.com/Shure-SE315-C...n+ear+monitors
    Six Piece Mapex Saturn V, Five Piece DW Performance Series, NOS Slingerland Snares, Centent Ardor and Emperor Cymbals

User Info Menu

i have a standard set of sure IEM and i will NEVER go back to a floor monitor speaker.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    i have a standard set of sure IEM and i will NEVER go back to a floor monitor speaker.

Several people I have spoken with have said the same.

User Info Menu

any one have the real noise reduction rating on shure iem's they claim up to 37db but what is the actual rating???

User Info Menu

I use molded in-ears but my guitarist and singer use Shures. Not certain of the model but they love them.

User Info Menu

I use Shure 215s with a Behringer P1 headphone amp. Works well. If I were to buy a headphone amp again though I'd probably get one with the "more me" feature.

Acoustic Kits:
    Ludwig Maple 3ply White Cortex 4 pc
    Rukus Mod Orange Club 4 pc
    DW Design 6 pc
    Tama Silverstar Limited Edition Mirage 5 pc
    Tama Superstar 5 pc
    Tama Rockstar 4 pc
    Gretsch Catalina Ash 4 pc

Slingerland 7 pc

Electronic Kits:
    Yamaha DTX532k
    Roland TD-27, Roland PD-85 (x4), PD-125, KD9, CY-8 (x2) VH-10, Lemon 15 and 18 cymbals
    Roland SPD-SX Sample Pad

Snares:
    Tama SLP Black Brass
    Tama SLP G Maple
    Rukus Santos/Bubinga/Poplar/Wenge
    Rukus Avodire/Maple/Mahogany
    1972 Ludwig Supraphonic

Hardware:
    Tama, DW, Yamaha and Sonor

Cymbals:
    Zildjian A Series, A Custom and K Custom

Microphones:
    Miktek, Audix and Shure

User Info Menu

I've used the SE215's for several years and they work great...........never want to go back to floor monitors.

I play behind a shield at church and they definitely work well to mute all of the outside noise and I can hear everything chrystal clear

User Info Menu

I want to go to IEM's, do they all have a feature where I can control the volume of different mics, like say I want more lead vocal and less lead guitar, and a little more of my own vocal mic? I would like to be able to control that myself is this possible without spending $500? if so what do I need to purchase to get there?
    Last edited by MDK; 03-28-2017 at 04:20 AM.
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

I use in-ears because when I started rehearsing with a band in my basement, I ended each session with noticeable ringing in my ears. I use a wired system with a ART Head Amp 6 taking the feed off the mixer, and each person brings their own earphones.

MDK, in order to get an individual mix, you would need a mixer with enough AUX Sends for each member of the band, and a headphone amp that will allow input to each channel on the headphone amp. My system will do this because my mixer has 8 AUX sends and the ART Head Amp 6 has an AUX input for each channel on the front. When you're using AUX sends on the mixer, each channel on the mixer will allow you to send the content of that channel (vocals, drums, guitars, etc.) to the different AUX sends to create custom headphone monitor mixes.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Thanks, sound like it may be easier to just come off the pa like my wedge monitor does, and just let sound guy make adjustments at the pa for me.
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Custom ear molds attached to whatever IEM's are the way to go imho....you need to have a good seal in order for keep from going deaf....I setup a Zoom H4n on stage, near a monitor, I bought the remote control for the Zoom, so I can make adjustments to the volume if needed, and i get a half decent recording from it...experimenting with the location eventually gets you a decent mix, better than ear plugs, better than going deaf, like I already am, tinnitus etc...better late than never!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MDK View Post
    Thanks, sound like it may be easier to just come off the pa like my wedge monitor does, and just let sound guy make adjustments at the pa for me.
    That's exactly what I plan on doing for now. I bought a small mixer to take in a 1/4" line feed from the monitor out on my PA head and use the input on one of the channels on the new mixer. I don't have any aux sends on the PA head but at least I'll have some volume control on how loud I want the overall monitor mix in the IEM by using the fader on the channel input on the new mixer.

The guitar player in the band has 40% hearing loss in both ears and requires hearing aids in both ears. He struggles with any loud volume levels coming out of the floor wedges if he leaves his hearing aids in while the band is at full stage volume so he takes them out which results in him cranking his guitar amp way too loud to hear himself play. He brings in a decibel meter and monitors the volume at which we play during practice. 85-90 decibels is considered "safe" for the ears before hearing protection is required.

User Info Menu

I went to in ears several years. I use Westone dual drivers. Best money I ever spent musically. I'm not wireless because basically Im not going anywhere once I get behind the kit....lol. I run a cable from the mixer to my seat and Im good to go.
    Dave

Frank "Fiacovaz" Iacovazzi
    RIP my friend

Proud member of "PHROGGES AQUARIAN ARMY"

User Info Menu

My budget didn't allow for anything custom made when I went looking. I bought Shure SE425, dual drivers. They have served me well. I also use them for podcast listening while using power lawn tools.