Thread: Zildjian A Custom VS Sabian AAX?

User Info Menu

Default Zildjian A Custom VS Sabian AAX?

So after Christmas I finally had enough to get some new cymbals, and I was set on A Customs, but I've seen quite a few people using AAX cymbals. How do these cymbals sound in comparison to each other? Which would you personally buy? Thanks
    SPLAT-BOOM-SPLAT-BOOM-SPLAT-BOOM-GIGGA-TISH!

User Info Menu

Default Re: Zildjian A Custom VS Sabian AAX?

Quote Originally Posted by Taras View Post
    So after Christmas I finally had enough to get some new cymbals, and I was set on A Customs, but I've seen quite a few people using AAX cymbals. How do these cymbals sound in comparison to each other? Which would you personally buy? Thanks

I've been using Zildjians for almost 55 years. You can't beat the A Customs.

I am thinking about getting a set of Meinl for my Pearls, just to have something different.

User Info Menu

And I think A Customs are the most disappointing line of cymbals out there...I haven't heard one I liked. Love A's, for ME, they beat the customs hands down...

My advice, go online, listen for yourself. Go to the store, listen for yourself. Go home, think about it. Even two of the same factory made cymbals sound different, maybe I've just had bad luck with A customs...at my local drum store, it seems like they got a bunch of reject Ks cause those ones have really bad sound.
    Yamaha DTX 500 module
    Anatolian Kappadokia 14" Rock High Hats
    Sabian El Sabor 20" Ride
    Zildjian A 18" Crash Ride
    Istanbul Agop 16" Trash Hit
    1950's Zildjian 14" Splash/light crash
    Istanbul 8" Splash (pre 1997)
    Mapex Black Panther Steel Piccolo
    1965 Premier 3 piece 10, 16, 22

User Info Menu

I've been to the store and I was really satisfied with the a custom hats and ride, but I think the crashes might take some getting used to. I didn't really look at the Sabians whilst I was there, though. I currently have some really old crashes, may as well use bin lids, so I'm just not used to the sound of a decent sounding crash, lol.

Thanks!
    Last edited by Taras; 01-02-2017 at 12:02 PM.
    SPLAT-BOOM-SPLAT-BOOM-SPLAT-BOOM-GIGGA-TISH!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Taras View Post
    I've been to the store and I was really satisfied with the a custom hats and ride, but I think the crashes might take some getting used to. I didn't really look at the Sabians whilst I was there, though. I currently have some really old crashes, may as well use bin lids, so I'm just not used to the sound of a decent sounding crash, lol.

Thanks!
    more important is how they sound together. If the hats and ride sound good when played TOGETHER then take them. After that, take the ride to the store and try it TOGETHER with the crash. I actually did this last week when I got my new ride.

As far as matching brands go, you should consider two things

1. Most important, how do the cymbals sound TOGETHER!!?? Last week at the drum store, two of the same cymbals, same brand, type, size and line, two very different sounds. So don't kid yourself into thinking that 20" ride cymbal A will automatically go with 18" crash cymbal B just because they are the same brand and line. Only a lazy salesperson will tell you that.

2. Unless the brand is paying you to play their cymbals, mix and match brands as much as you want. Sure, to us it might look funny, but seriously, nobody else notices/cares. I'm willing to bet we could tell our guitarists and singers that K is a separate brand of cymbals altogether, or that Paiste is the line of cymbals made by Sabian specifically for___(insert whatever genre of music your band plays) and they will believe you. If you're like me and have a bunch of different brands, you can say "Anatolian only makes high hats, Zildjian only makes cymbals 18" and bigger" ect. Again, say it convincingly and they will believe you.
    Yamaha DTX 500 module
    Anatolian Kappadokia 14" Rock High Hats
    Sabian El Sabor 20" Ride
    Zildjian A 18" Crash Ride
    Istanbul Agop 16" Trash Hit
    1950's Zildjian 14" Splash/light crash
    Istanbul 8" Splash (pre 1997)
    Mapex Black Panther Steel Piccolo
    1965 Premier 3 piece 10, 16, 22

User Info Menu

Zildjian A Customs are slightly thinner and brighter..............therefore they are great for crashes.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

I just bought a 16" AAX recording crash and an 18" AAX Xplosion crash. Beautiful cymbals for rock. The A customs are way too bright for my liking. Especially the hi hats.
    Last edited by FlyByNight; 01-02-2017 at 05:05 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

I used to use Sabian for 15-ish years. I use Zildjian now, but I will say it seemed pretty easy to find Sabians I liked. I had a 19 AAX Metal crash I really liked. I also got a lot of use from a 16 AAX Stage crash. Overall I tended to prefer the AA and Hand Hammered lines. Nowadays I go with Zildjian As, although I would like a 20 K Medium ride.

To the original question, I found AAX cymbals I liked. I've never been too keen on A Customs. Between the two I'd vote Sabian.
    A simple, elegant design is good engineering.

Axis | Ayotte | Evans | Gibraltar | Ludwig | Pro-Mark | Remo | Roc-N-Soc | SKB | Taye | Vic Firth | Whitney| Yamaha | Zildjian

User Info Menu

The AAX are very good cymbals and for the price. I play a 16" A custom and a 17" AA fast crash on a house kit and I prefer the AA. All my cymbals are Zildjian except for one a 16" AAX crash. I'm also looking into 14" AAX hats.

User Info Menu

I personally think the AAX line sounds better and also has more options. They're still bright overall, but to me a lot of them also have a warmer sound.

User Info Menu

For me, the entire Zildjian A Custom line is a bit too clangy for me. The only cymbal I like out of the entire A Custom offering is the 16" A Custom crash. I use it along side my AAX 18" dark crash and they sound good together.