Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How did you start?

User Info Menu

Default Re: How did you start?

I rented a kit when I was 12 and took lessons. Through the many drum teachers I've had, I learned this: practice because you want to and never stick to the rules of just practicing. I would play a few lines from ted reed's syncopation for the modern drummer, and then I guess what you would call freestyle for the rest of it. My drum teachers were very laid back, we would pretty much talk for the whole lesson. I stopped taking lessons after a few years and learn a lot from the pros now. I've watched countless videos of Bonham, Peart, Copeland, Portnoy, Mangini, to name a few. I make sure it's fun above all.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

I've told this one before ,but in 9th grade I went to a jr high that was pretty tough.(race riots ,rape,extortion)you know ,the usual.

Lunch time in the campus square was watch your back.

I discovered that if you were in the band ,you got to hang out in the band room away from the knuckle draggers and thugs at lunch.

A friend of mine in the band said they needed somebody to play tenor drum and I was recruited.

Turns out the drum section leader was Vince Colaiuta who became a friend and teacher.
    FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pgm554 View Post
    Turns out the drum section leader was Vince Colaiuta who became a friend and teacher.
    Wow...........that's cool..............one hell of a drummer

User Info Menu

Hi,
    You will find it easier if you master stick control first by doing excersies then as you get more into it it will pay off.
    Nothing wrong with playing along with your fave music either, good to warm up to
    It has be fun
    Bridie

User Info Menu

I was a 4 year old playing the cylindrical oatmeal "drums" with wooden spoons on my mom's kitchen floor. I didn't touch a drum until I was 52. That was 9 years ago. and I have learned with some basic drum lessons in music stores, following lessons in drum instruction books, playing along to songs, and even just having a good time on my own, as I made up my own rhythms.

If you're going to progress in ability to play, you will have to practice somehow - lesson books, lessons with a teacher, or just going on youtube to get lessons. No matter what, though, make sure you spend time just having fun. In the end, that's what drumming should be . . . fun.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

One thing I gotta say. In today's modern world, learning drums couldn't be easier. The amount of information and aids is simply staggering, and all available at the finger tips.

all the best...

User Info Menu

I started out playing with dowel rods on the plastic top of a coffee can while watching the Monkees TV show when I was about 12 or 13. Not saying I am proud of this as the Monkees weren't really musicians at that point. :-) My parents thought I showed an interest so I started drum lessons which consisted of a pad, heavy drum sticks, and I believe a Haskell Harr book for at least 9 months before getting a drum set. Then I kept getting lessons, played along to records and got involved in school band and stage band. I also took marimba lessons so I got a music theory foundation. I know kids today start right on a drum kit but I still believe learning how to read, learning proper technique, learning different styles, and learning music theory (let's face it.. we have it relatively easy just learning rhythms and not worrying about chords or what key a song is in) are important. And I got into jazz and big band early and always thought guys played in rock bands because there weren't enough jazz gigs. Guess I was wrong. :-)