Thread: Ludwig Supralite

User Info Menu

Default Ludwig Supralite

I just had a Supralite that I found on e-bay delivered to my house.

Now I'm trying to figure out where it fits in the Ludwig line of snare drums.

Is it good, bad, or somewhere in the middle?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Ludwig Supralite

Pretty sure it's on the lower end of the "nice" scale. Still a good snare. Many schools use them for band, orchestra, etc.

Not sure what you paid, but around here you can pick them up for less than $100, many times including case and stand.

User Info Menu

Brand new 5.5X14 for $179...............good all-around snare for that price.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
    Brand new 5.5X14 for $179...............good all-around snare for that price.
    That's what I paid for my 6.5X14".

Signature here

User Info Menu

Got the same one, same $170 for myself for Xmas. Throw works great. I "dried" it out with Evans snare head and subdued the ringing a tiny bit. Added 32 wires(I like their buzz) which also lowered its tone a bit. It's not the same as my brass Pearl FF but I like it, mostly.
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

I hear it's a good steel snare for the money.

I believe that Ludwig now markets the Supralite series at the same level as the Black Magic series. In fact, the chrome over stainless steel shelled Black Magics that Ludwig discontinued back in 2013 or so were considered to be the prototypes for what later became the Supralite line that superseded them.