Thread: Approaching double bass playing in a different way

User Info Menu

Default Approaching double bass playing in a different way

I've been playing double bass for as long as I've been a drummer. I've always done it from my legs and hips. But as of late I've been really looking at switching to playing double bass heels down. Its way less stressful on the body and it also will allow me to play faster once I get used to it.

Anybody play double bass heels down? What are your tips on getting power and speed from this playing position?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Approaching double bass playing in a different way

I play fast double bass heel up, but using the same motion as heel down. The motion comes from the ankle and the shin muscle rather than the hips. It's a common technique that plenty of metal drummers use for higher tempos. Here's an example I found - notice the change in technique when he speeds up

- Zack

User Info Menu

Yep, my speed increased greatly once I figured out I could use my ankles instead of my entire leg. It just took a while to get the same power and control, but it will come. I can't play worth a crap heel down.

User Info Menu

I also agree I play heel up but with a flat foot that looks to be heels down.
    I also play from the ankle.

When I'm teaching my students foot work I try to teach them to at first just let loose and let your foot just twitch or spazm and just loose control. Once they do that they find speed they never thought possible. Once they've found that speed now it's time to learn to control what they just found out they can do.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    I also agree I play heel up but with a flat foot that looks to be heels down.
    I also play from the ankle.

When I'm teaching my students foot work I try to teach them to at first just let loose and let your foot just twitch or spazm and just loose control. Once they do that they find speed they never thought possible. Once they've found that speed now it's time to learn to control what they just found out they can do.
    This is good. The twitch of the foot. Once you can control the twitching, speed will come.

User Info Menu

For my body keeping my heels on the ground feels good when playing double bass. I can run from the legs and hips just as well. But one can only play so fast that way. But the power is there. So it seems the only real issue is getting the power from heels down. I hope that will come in time.

User Info Menu

Single or double-Heel up. I'll admit that the older I get the less double bass I attempt.

User Info Menu

George Kollias is probably the best I've ever heard at double bass.
    Last edited by slinky; 01-09-2017 at 03:47 PM.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN