Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Does anyone have insurance on their gear?

  1. #1

    User Info Menu

    Default Does anyone have insurance on their gear?

    I'm just curious if anyone has taken out any additional insurance on their collections? I had inquired to my insurance agent about it a couple years ago but never did anything about it. One concern I have is most of the stuff I bought second hand and don't have any receipts for. My understanding is my standard home owners insurance would only cover $1000 for musical instruments, which is definitely going to be a problem if my house burns to the ground. I'm seeing some companies that specifically specialize in instrument insurance, just wondering if anyone has any experience with this.

  2. #2

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Does anyone have insurance on their gear?

    I had insurance on both my kits, cymbals, and hardware. A friend of mine worked for Farmer's insurance and was starting out . So I decided to help him out by switching my truck and getting the collection insurance. I can't remember all the details but I was covered for theft and fire 100%. I didn't keep it long because my friend quit and the new agent would not work with me. I left Farmers and have no plans of going back she really put a bad taste in my mouth.

  3. #3

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Does anyone have insurance on their gear?

    It might be different in the US, but in the UK home contents insurers often provide the facility to insure 'personal items' or list items as 'all risks'. This is often used for jewellery, watches but can just as easily be used for musical instruments. I have all my gear insured through my home contents insurer (new for old on all risks including fire, theft, and accidental damage) and the cost increase in premiums was negligible.

    I looked at specialist instrument insurance but the cost was significantly more for no greater levels of cover. It's the same with mobile phone insurance; almost always cheaper to add it as all risks to your home insurance rather than going through the specialist providers.
    PDP | Black Panther | Sabian |

  4. #4

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Does anyone have insurance on their gear?

    Insurance companies are a joke , lost a vintage Ludwig Vistalite and Rogers drum sets in a house fire in 2012, still in litigation with them over the contents of the house which was insured for $155,000 they payed $45,000.



    JIM
    Premier XPK Drums
    10, 12, 13, 14, 16 Suspended toms
    22 bass drum
    5 x 14 snare
    Premier Hardware
    Offset Double Pedal
    Sabian, Meniel cymbals
    Tama Metalworks 6.5 x 14" Black Nickel snare
    Ahead Drum Cases

  5. #5

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Does anyone have insurance on their gear?

    When I was on the road 1977-1991 I took out a policy on my kit that covered fire, theft and general damage. It was for a complete replacement cost of the full kit. I paid $500.00 per year. My current kit is covered under my home owners policy - full replacement cost.. I sent them a detailed list of my equipment and total replacement cost and they added it to my policy.
    Last edited by NPYYZ; 01-04-2017 at 05:39 AM.

  6. #6

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Does anyone have insurance on their gear?

    Quote Originally Posted by js218 View Post
    Insurance companies are a joke , lost a vintage Ludwig Vistalite and Rogers drum sets in a house fire in 2012, still in litigation with them over the contents of the house which was insured for $155,000 they payed $45,000.



    JIM
    Depends on the company and the policy. 5 years ago a large tree fell from my neighbors yard and destroyed part of my deck. I told my insurance agent it would cost around $2500.00 to fix the damage if I did the work myself. (I built the deck) He sent me a check for $4300.00 just in case I wanted to hire someone to do the work.

  7. #7

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Does anyone have insurance on their gear?

    My Yamaha Maple Custom kit is fully insured.
    An agent came out to my house and took photo and took a list of what is on it and it's worth etc.

    My other kits are not insured by any special means.
    14pc Yamaha Maple Custom Vintage (24pc in total) | 12pc PDP X7 | 9pc Ludwig Jr. | 9pc Pork Pie ZebraWood | 6pc Sonor |5pc PDP Concept Maple Classic | 5pc Ddrum Dominion | 5pc Orbitone |4pc Sonor Martini | 65 Snare drums and growing!

  8. #8

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Does anyone have insurance on their gear?

    +1 for BFD, not sure if in the states its different (probably because it's CREAM to the max there) but the drums are listed and covered in my home owners, and extra protection would just be extra money for basically nothing. The drums I have aren't even mine and they are still protected...

    I guess if you tour a lot, or have some VERY expensive drums it might be worth it, but also consider how much you pay per year and how much your drums are worth. And really, we are talking about fire/flood insurance, because if someone robs your house, they are going for jewelry and electronics...unless the robber also happens to be a drummer

  9. #9

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Does anyone have insurance on their gear?

    Quote Originally Posted by js218 View Post
    Insurance companies are a joke , lost a vintage Ludwig Vistalite and Rogers drum sets in a house fire in 2012, still in litigation with them over the contents of the house which was insured for $155,000 they payed $45,000.
    OMG...............I remember your original post on this board.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)


  10. #10

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Does anyone have insurance on their gear?

    Thanks for the replays guys. I need to contact my insurance agent and see what it would cost to include more coverage into my home owners insurance.


    Quote Originally Posted by jgziegler View Post
    +1 for BFD, not sure if in the states its different (probably because it's CREAM to the max there) but the drums are listed and covered in my home owners, and extra protection would just be extra money for basically nothing. The drums I have aren't even mine and they are still protected...

    I guess if you tour a lot, or have some VERY expensive drums it might be worth it, but also consider how much you pay per year and how much your drums are worth. And really, we are talking about fire/flood insurance, because if someone robs your house, they are going for jewelry and electronics...unless the robber also happens to be a drummer
    Well, as a whole my collection is worth quite a bit. 20+ years of buying and selling used gear has left me with quite the spread. If a robber was smart they'd steal the drums and cymbals but hopefully they're aren't that savvy. I'm more concerned about a fire. Like I said, my insurance would cover about $1,000 for musical instruments which would pretty much be a total loss for me. Last time I checked wood burns pretty easily :lol:

  11. #11

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Does anyone have insurance on their gear?

    If you are really serious about wanting your drums covered by insurance, I would consider getting coverage specifically for the drums (and any other musical instruments). I have had coverage for years on all my instruments by Heritage. You are covered on loss or theft, and in the event of damage, the reduction of value of the instruments due to repair is also covered. I would be happy to give you contact information for this outfit if you'd like. I've been covered for about 10 years now, and while I have never needed to submit a claim, I understand from those who have that this is THE way to go.
    Now, just a tiny bit less than an absolute drum newbie
    DW Collectors Cherry kit, Ludwig Black Beauty Snare, DW SuperSolid Oak/Cherry Snare, DW Sabian Vault Edge Snare

  12. #12

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Does anyone have insurance on their gear?

    Quote Originally Posted by cabasner View Post
    If you are really serious about wanting your drums covered by insurance, I would consider getting coverage specifically for the drums (and any other musical instruments). I have had coverage for years on all my instruments by Heritage. You are covered on loss or theft, and in the event of damage, the reduction of value of the instruments due to repair is also covered. I would be happy to give you contact information for this outfit if you'd like. I've been covered for about 10 years now, and while I have never needed to submit a claim, I understand from those who have that this is THE way to go.
    Given what you have paid over this time and the value of your gear, would you say it;s worth it?

  13. #13

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Does anyone have insurance on their gear?

    Quote Originally Posted by jgziegler View Post
    Given what you have paid over this time and the value of your gear, would you say it;s worth it?
    Yes, I would. I managed, primarily over the early 2000s, to acquire some very high end musical instruments (drums came much later). But, due to the number of instruments, and their quality, I knew that my homeowners insurance wouldn't even begin to touch reimbursing me if the instruments were stolen or destroyed in a fire, for example. So, yes, it's been worth it to me for the mental security I've had. And it hasn't been that expensive. I think I've been paying something like $550 or so per year for coverage of over $100,000 value in instruments. That's a pretty good value, in my humble opinion.
    Now, just a tiny bit less than an absolute drum newbie
    DW Collectors Cherry kit, Ludwig Black Beauty Snare, DW SuperSolid Oak/Cherry Snare, DW Sabian Vault Edge Snare

  14. #14

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Does anyone have insurance on their gear?

    As others have stated your homeowners would cover contents and you can get additional coverage to cover them away from home.

  15. #15

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Does anyone have insurance on their gear?

    Quote Originally Posted by SuperFortress View Post
    As others have stated your homeowners would cover contents and you can get additional coverage to cover them away from home.
    I know that's supposed to be true, but I had heard enough horror stories about homeowner's coverage really not doing all it is supposed to, hence my desire for independent coverage. Again, based on the value of the equipment, and the (relatively) small cost, it's been worth it to me.
    Now, just a tiny bit less than an absolute drum newbie
    DW Collectors Cherry kit, Ludwig Black Beauty Snare, DW SuperSolid Oak/Cherry Snare, DW Sabian Vault Edge Snare

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •