Thread: Hats

User Info Menu

Default Hats

This is basically a follow-up to something I had asked some time ago, but it's been ages since I've been around. I have Sabian SBR's that were a bit of a mistake, in that the crashes sound fine to me, but the hats just ring like hell. I don't know if it's the stand or not. I've tried combining them with others, didn't work. I had mentioned back then that I wanted something "darker" sounding, but I guess what I'm really after is something that "chicks" more than these, and doesn't go on forever. I'm upgrading my kit, so I'm sure the stand will be a better one than the starter that I have. I know that the cymbals are brass, and I know that ( or I'm told that ) bronze will sound better. Again I'm asking for recommendations on a budget. The SBR's I have are 13" and I definitely want 14" or larger. I listen to sound files, I don't get out to my local music stores much. If anyone has some suggestions, and sound files to share, I appreciate it.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Hats

I'd upgrade to the Sabian XSR's or find a nice pair of the XS20's

I have both the 14's and the 13's
    The even make the Excellerators or whatever the spelling is for quicker response.
    Or you could drill your own vent holes underneath for a snappier sound.

User Info Menu

I'd suggest the Sabian 14" AAX Fast hats. The bottom cymbal is very heavy and it has three vent holes cut into the bottom cymbal. It produces and nice "chick" sound. I had them set up next to a pair of HHX 13" Evolution hats and compared them side by side and found the AAX was much more versatile in covering different genres.

User Info Menu

If you don't have to have sabian.. i would go with the Kasza Rock hats.. B20 bronze.. $113 shipped.. i bought some about a year ago and have been very happy with them.. to the point that i added a crash and ride. Great value for money and they sound good to me

User Info Menu

If you're looking to eliminate 'ring' try throwing some tape on them to dry out the sound. Also try adjusting the tilter on the bottom cymbal. If the cymbals hit flat together they have a tendency to air lock and not have much click to them. The bottom cymbal should be on a slight angle when the hats are open. The vent holes eliminate air lock but tilting the bottom cymbal will also help.

A different hi hat stand will change the sound and feel but it's probably not going to make or break the cymbals themselves.

Zildjain New Beats are the most widely used hats around, you may want to start there.

User Info Menu

Thanks, guys !

User Info Menu

Kasza Cymbals Light Top/Heavy Bottom Skinny Fat Rock Hi-hats 14 in. ????

User Info Menu

Agreed with the Kasza recommendation. I have owned the 14" Fusion series hi-hats, and they were awesome, easily equal to pro-level Zildjian, Sabian, etc models.
    I haven't played the rock hats but they will be louder. The Fusion hats are great from soft to medium-loud, but if you play hard, the Rock ones are probably the way to go.
    The XS20 hats aren't bad either, though the Kasza ones are hand-hammered and, at least with the Fusion ones, do sound a lot more professional to my ears. But you won't go wrong with the XS20 hats either if you see a good used set!

User Info Menu

hats and ride is everything

spend more money and get a set for life.

User Info Menu

Paiste PST7 Heavy are a great mid-range set of hats; but what itchie said.

https://youtu.be/QEQMreRCplU
    https://youtu.be/PveSlLlYqyE
    Last edited by EyePea; 01-04-2017 at 07:41 PM.

Acoustic & Electronic:
    Pearl Prestige World Series WLX 1988
    Tama Swingstar 1983
    Tama Superstar Hyper-Drive (Birch) 2007
    Ludwig Acrolite Snare 1976
    Ludwig Supraphonic 6.5x14" 2021
    Pearl Sensitone Elite Aluminum 5.5" and 6.5" Snare
    Pearl COB Custom Deluxe [Gladstone] (75-76) Snare
    Love Drum Co. Hammered Steel 5.5" Snare
    Roland TD-1KV

Paiste
    Accent 8"

Paiste Signature:
    6", 10" Splash
    14" Dark Crisp Hi-Hats
    14" Sound Edge Hi-Hats
    16", 17", 18",19", 20" Full Crash
    22" Symphonic Med-Heavy (use as a Ride)

Paiste Formula 602:
    22" Formula 602 Modern Essentials Ride

Paiste 2oo2:
    22" Ride
    16" Crash
    8",10" Splash

Paiste 2oo2 Big Beat:
    15" Hi-Hats
    19", 20", 21" Big Beat Multifunctional

Paiste Sound Formula:
    16" Crash
    20" Full Ride (Frankenstein)

Paiste Twenty:
    16" China

Paiste Alpha (original Swiss made):
    12" Splash

Paiste PST7:
    Medium
    16", 18" Crash
    20" Ride
    14" Hi-Hats

Sabian:
    XS20 18" China
    AA 14" Fusion Hi-Hats

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by EyePea View Post
    Paiste PST7 Heavy are a great mid-range set of hats; but what itchie said.
    I agree. The PST7 hats are really excellent (mine are Mediums). PST7 rides are "pretty good". The crash cymbals I can live without. Honestly, my Sabian B8 hats are excellent as well, but just a little brighter than the PST7's. I think B8 bronze in general is well suited to hi-hats. It's pretty "cutting", especially in a live band setting.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    I agree. The PST7 hats are really excellent (mine are Mediums). PST7 rides are "pretty good". The crash cymbals I can live without. Honestly, my Sabian B8 hats are excellent as well, but just a little brighter than the PST7's. I think B8 bronze in general is well suited to hi-hats. It's pretty "cutting", especially in a live band setting.
    The PST7 18" Thin Crash though. That cymbal is worth the price of admission alone. A brilliant cymbal for the money.
    The PST7 20" Light Ride makes a great 20 Crash/Ride too.

Acoustic & Electronic:
    Pearl Prestige World Series WLX 1988
    Tama Swingstar 1983
    Tama Superstar Hyper-Drive (Birch) 2007
    Ludwig Acrolite Snare 1976
    Ludwig Supraphonic 6.5x14" 2021
    Pearl Sensitone Elite Aluminum 5.5" and 6.5" Snare
    Pearl COB Custom Deluxe [Gladstone] (75-76) Snare
    Love Drum Co. Hammered Steel 5.5" Snare
    Roland TD-1KV

Paiste
    Accent 8"

Paiste Signature:
    6", 10" Splash
    14" Dark Crisp Hi-Hats
    14" Sound Edge Hi-Hats
    16", 17", 18",19", 20" Full Crash
    22" Symphonic Med-Heavy (use as a Ride)

Paiste Formula 602:
    22" Formula 602 Modern Essentials Ride

Paiste 2oo2:
    22" Ride
    16" Crash
    8",10" Splash

Paiste 2oo2 Big Beat:
    15" Hi-Hats
    19", 20", 21" Big Beat Multifunctional

Paiste Sound Formula:
    16" Crash
    20" Full Ride (Frankenstein)

Paiste Twenty:
    16" China

Paiste Alpha (original Swiss made):
    12" Splash

Paiste PST7:
    Medium
    16", 18" Crash
    20" Ride
    14" Hi-Hats

Sabian:
    XS20 18" China
    AA 14" Fusion Hi-Hats

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    I'd suggest the Sabian 14" AAX Fast hats. The bottom cymbal is very heavy and it has three vent holes cut into the bottom cymbal. It produces and nice "chick" sound. I had them set up next to a pair of HHX 13" Evolution hats and compared them side by side and found the AAX was much more versatile in covering different genres.

I'm getting those next. I completely forgot about those!
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by EyePea View Post
    The PST7 18" Thin Crash though. That cymbal is worth the price of admission alone. A brilliant cymbal for the money.
    The PST7 20" Light Ride makes a great 20 Crash/Ride too.
    Mine are all mediums. 14" hats, 16" & 18" crash and 20" ride. I got them as a complete set on clearance for $257+ tax. I think the light/sessions version would be better for the stuff I play....but I couldn't argue with the price. I love the hats and ride. The 16" medium crash is not bad, but the 18" medium is just too much. It needs to played hard to sound good. I suppose it will be fine for outdoor gigs this summer. For what I paid, I could always sell the crashes and buy thin versions. I've learned how important it is to match cymbal weight to the application (music style & venue).
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Looking at all of your suggestions, and appreciate the help. I don't want them real bright. I always get down to the music stores and bang on them when I can. My problem is I have a GC gear card, and most all my gear comes in the mail. ( I have to appease "the boss" somehow......) I'm surprised that my SBR 20" ride sounds as good as it does to me, now that one I really like. I have a 16" SBR crash that is so-so, and a 14" thin crash B8 that is so-so. I will get around to changing them all out, eventually. I like the thought of just taking the plunge and getting a complete pack. I just have to do more research and not make the same (brass) mistake I made at first ---

User Info Menu

Man, I really don't how anyone here buys cymbals online...you're really flipping a coin!

I'd recommend my Anatolian 14" Kappadokia rock hats, as they really can go with any type of music, but the chances of you finding Anatolian cymbals in the USA is rare...

User Info Menu

Y'all will get a kick out of this. I tried to stack them.....I used the old plated junk that came with kit, and the Sabians....so much for that idea----CLUNK !

User Info Menu

There is literally nothing you can do with bad cymbals to make them sound good except maybe melt them down and try again...

I nearly made the mistake of trying to make an effects cymbal out of a bad cymbal (which I sold) until I read here that won't work. Not everyone has been so lucky

User Info Menu

^yeah I agree a bad cymbal is a bad cymbal... nothing you can do but junk it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jgziegler View Post
    Man, I really don't how anyone here buys cymbals online...you're really flipping a coin!

I'd recommend my Anatolian 14" Kappadokia rock hats, as they really can go with any type of music, but the chances of you finding Anatolian cymbals in the USA is rare...
    Less so now than in times past. Stick with Zildjians and/or K's. Manufacturing has become so standardized that they wont disappoint even if purchased on line.

all the best...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post
    Less so now than in times past. Stick with Zildjians and/or K's. Manufacturing has become so standardized that they wont disappoint even if purchased on line.

all the best...
    Mmmmmmm I really can't agree with that. In my local store, they had two 22" medium A rides, one was about a half octave different from the other, and many times I've tried a cymbal with the intention to buy and it wasn't the right sound. Now, that doesn't mean they were disappointing but...

They also have some Ks there that were really just useless (rides). For that money you could just buy some A customs and mute them and get basically the same sound. So those were disappointing.

Like with many things in life, it comes down to experience. I might see things differently if I had got some great deal on cymbals online and the sound was good. I'm just not keen to flip that coin...
    Yamaha DTX 500 module
    Anatolian Kappadokia 14" Rock High Hats
    Sabian El Sabor 20" Ride
    Zildjian A 18" Crash Ride
    Istanbul Agop 16" Trash Hit
    1950's Zildjian 14" Splash/light crash
    Istanbul 8" Splash (pre 1997)
    Mapex Black Panther Steel Piccolo
    1965 Premier 3 piece 10, 16, 22