Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ahead drumsticks

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

User Info Menu

Default Ahead drumsticks

Anyone use these sticks? I'm looking into getting a set of studio 5an sticks. I've heard they are better for your hands then wood sticks.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Ahead drumsticks

I'll never use them. I've got a set or two laying around from my younger days

I can't stand the sleeves, I can't stand the weight and I have a problem with slamming my cymbals with metal sticks vs wood. Yes they have a plastic sleeve for protection but for a heavier hitter like me I'd rather break sticks than cymbals.

User Info Menu

The big thing for me about them is that they reduce shock. I have wrist issues and I'm always looking for ways to help that.

User Info Menu

Have you tried the Zildjian anti-vibe sticks?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    Have you tried the Zildjian anti-vibe sticks?
    Good call . I've tried them and like them lots . I have a 15 year old niece who was born missing the two middle fingers in her right hand . She plays drums and regular sticks hurt her hand but the Anti-vibes are perfect for her .
    As Zack has said those Ahead sticks will crack your cymbals . I know from experience...

User Info Menu

I heard they give a clang sound on the ride instead of a nice ping. I like the feel of wood sticks.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Nocturnal View Post
    Anyone use these sticks? I'm looking into getting a set of studio 5an sticks. I've heard they are better for your hands then wood sticks.
    Marketing hype.
    If you're technique is good ,you shouldn't have to rely on a wonder stick.

I've played them and it's like cooking with aspartame vs sugar.
    FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes

User Info Menu

I use mine on my e-kit ONLY!

User Info Menu

I've used Ahead sticks for several years......................and love them.

I've never had any issues with cymbals cracking or any other "damage"..............they take a while to get used to, but I love them as they last forever.

regarding the sound on the ride, they have a nylon tip and sound like any other nylon tip I've used, which I prefer, as it gives it a more definitive "ping"

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by longgun View Post
    I've used Ahead sticks for several years......................and love them.

I've never had any issues with cymbals cracking or any other "damage"..............they take a while to get used to, but I love them as they last forever.

regarding the sound on the ride, they have a nylon tip and sound like any other nylon tip I've used, which I prefer, as it gives it a more definitive "ping"
    Me too. I've had the same pair of Ahead 5A's for almost 20yrs. Bought a pair of their 7A's 2yrs ago. To me, they seem to feel lighter but offer more volume with less effort. I also have a pair of the Zildjian anti-vibes, and I like them as well. Only complaint is I can't flip and use the butt end with the Zildjians. They also don't seem to work as well for cross-stick.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Nothing equals hickory. Time tested and proven.

all the best...

User Info Menu

Hi Nocturnal, another non wood stick is Carbostick. They were made in Germany. Gronau Westfalen. I state were because it's unknown to me if the company still exists.

Carbostick n Carbostick Blackwood, made out of carbon fiber. Lots of companies have cf sticks now, the reason I brought up Carbostick is because for the cost of 1 pair of Vic Firth cf sticks you can get 2 or 3 pairs of Carbosticks. I bought 6 pairs of 5B's and 1 pair of the Blackwood's awhile back after trying out a pair.

So far they have been pretty good. No problems with gear getting damaged. The thing I didn't like about the Easton's or Ahead's is that each stick has about 5 different parts!, changing the sleeves isn't as simple as they make it out to be and they broke (in half) quicker than I thought they would or should

Last edited by slinky; 01-05-2017 at 10:27 PM.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

I Like them a lot, I can Play longer and harder without hand fatigue. Really great. But i switch it up from time to time.

User Info Menu

Vic firth titan is another option
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

Amazeballs at how many products are in the market solely propelled by a marketing gimmick. Even more amazeballs at how many people bite.

User Info Menu

I've been using the antivibes for a number of years now. They make a massive difference. But, I want to try the aheads to see how they compare.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by inthpktplayer View Post
    Amazeballs at how many products are in the market solely propelled by a marketing gimmick. Even more amazeballs at how many people bite.
    Back in the day when I was full time on the road and playing six nights a week with some extra jam nights till the wee hours of the morning and some recording sessions thrown in ... I was trying all those "gimmick sticks" . Here's why ...
    I was using the ProMark 747 wood stick and I would buy as many as I could when I was in one of the larger cities . But..sometimes I would find a bunch at a shop but maybe only three pair were usable because the rest were badly warped . I always roll the sticks and reject the warped ones . Then we would wind up in some part of a state in small towns that had no music store ! I still had two more weeks to go on the gig and I would be down to my last two pair of sticks and no place to get any ! So yea I would be sitting there at the gig staring at an empty stic bag wishing someone would come up with a pair of sticks that would last more than a few days...at least for me . And when these things started coming out I was the first in line to buy them . I would use them as my last resort stick , when I ran out of the wood sticks , and I tell you they gave me peace of mind .
    I can see your point of view if you don't play out very much or if you live in a town that has a well stocked music store . Yea then they can seem like a gimmick . Currently I'm no longer on the road and don't play as much as I use to so these sticks are no longer on my radar ... but they once were . Big time !

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by inthpktplayer View Post
    I have to say, I am a sucker for "new" stuff and grab a lot of things I don't have a need for..............

But IMO, the Ahead sticks have worked out extremely well for me...............after I got used to them, I prefer them to "regular" wooden sticks

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Nocturnal View Post
    I tried them (5B) and just couldn't get used to them.

But if they work for YOU, then that's what YOU should use.

Rich
    DW drums and Paiste cymbals.

User Info Menu

I tried Carbosticks a friend wanted me to try his, and my son use to use Ahead sticks, so I've fiddled with those when he was still living at home. I just can't get comfortable striking my expensive cymbals with anything but wood sticks. So I never really gave the sticks a chance. If my cym. were as easy as drum heads to replace, I'd really give the sticks a go.

User Info Menu

So it seems there is a split between Aheads crack cymbals, and that they don't (I've also heard they do).

That would seem to me then it is more a matter of technique, in which case I guess we should address how common is it for players to crack cymbals in general...

User Info Menu

If Remo or Evans could make a drum head out of waxed paper, could they convince you it's better than the current heads? Some things in life have no substitute. Wood is one of them. IMO

all the best...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post
    If Remo or Evans could make a drum head out of waxed paper, could they convince you it's better than the current heads? Some things in life have no substitute. Wood is one of them. IMO

all the best...
    I'm sure at some point, decades ago, drummers were having this same debate over calf skin heads or those "New fangled" plastic heads. I'm sure they were thinking, "sure, they stay in tune, but they don't sound or feel the same"! Heck, now we have plastic calf skin heads that look, feel & sound very similar to real skin. Honestly, I'm surprised the EPA and UN hasn't made wood sticks illegal. Who knows, mabe someone will market a stick made from recycled pressed sawdust, LOL.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

I love wood in every way you can love a substance. (cue violins...)

User Info Menu

There are very few drummers that like the Ahead sticks and for a plethora of reasons. I tried them years back and hated them, and that's an understatement. I agree that there's a lot of marketing hype involved. They're just too awkward for most drummers.