Thread: I freaking love the sound of this snare!

User Info Menu

Default I freaking love the sound of this snare!

I am gunning to get this sound. I've gotten close, but not quite there yet.

Six Piece Mapex Saturn V, Five Piece DW Performance Series, NOS Slingerland Snares, Centent Ardor and Emperor Cymbals

User Info Menu

Default Re: I freaking love the sound of this snare!

My guess is it's mostly tuned tight as concrete and the rest is in the sound mix. Maybe 16 strand wires to give it more tom sound. I have a 12" Maple Lil Squealer that sounds very close to that but slightly higher pitch. If it was a 14" it would probably be extremely close. The top Ambassador head is tuned so tight you can't get any deflection (even in the middle). Same goes for the reso side. The wires are almost as tight as they can be adjusted. It was that way when I bought it used. I quit using it on gigs because everyone in the bar would complain it was giving them a headache.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Kind of reminds me of Alex Van Halen's snare. It almost sounds like the snare wires are cranked, but it still doesn't choke the tone. Don't know how that's possible.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    My guess is it's mostly tuned tight as concrete and the rest is in the sound mix. Maybe 16 strand wires to give it more tom sound. I have a 12" Maple Lil Squealer that sounds very close to that but slightly higher pitch. If it was a 14" it would probably be extremely close. The top Ambassador head is tuned so tight you can't get any deflection (even in the middle). Same goes for the reso side. The wires are almost as tight as they can be adjusted. It was that way when I bought it used. I quit using it on gigs because everyone in the bar would complain it was giving them a headache.

I've got a 14 inch snare and have it cranked. It sounds decent, but not quite as good as Layton's.

This is what mine sounds like...

Six Piece Mapex Saturn V, Five Piece DW Performance Series, NOS Slingerland Snares, Centent Ardor and Emperor Cymbals

User Info Menu

I have always listed Chris Layton's snare drum sound to be the de facto standard.
    Listen to the ghost notes and accents on Tightrope.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlLXOuOGFGc

The guy has a way with a snare drum and with a shuffle.
    Cut it large and kick it into place!

User Info Menu

Yeah the Texas Shuffle is freaking awesome too!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DrumWhipper View Post
    I've got a 14 inch snare and have it cranked. It sounds decent, but not quite as good as Layton's.

This is what mine sounds like...

Nice job bro, that sounded very nice.. Hard to believe that is a horizon kit. What ride and snare are you using. rest of kit sounds very good too
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

It is the stock Horizon snare tuned tight. I used the Evans drum key turned to 9 on the snare on both heads. The ride is a 20 inch Sabian B8X.

User Info Menu

I have a 14x6.5 really cranked up with the gaffer's tape on the batter. Almost there but my shell is steel not wood. Still experimenting but I'm trying to get that Van Halen sound.