Thread: Thinking About.....

User Info Menu

Default Thinking About.....

Thinking about getting a snare, just because I want one. Any suggestions?

User Info Menu

how much money you got? i could make good recomendations in any price range. if you like pearls i would recomend a 6.5x14 free floater snare. a great all around vesatile drum that has interchangable shells. i have brass and maple inserts for mine. i would like to buy a mahogany shell and some kind of exotic wood shell for it too. depending on what shell you buy it with they are about 350-400 bucks and the different shell run anywhere from 150-200 bucks.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by funkymcstain View Post
    how much money you got? i could make good recomendations in any price range. if you like pearls i would recomend a 6.5x14 free floater snare. a great all around vesatile drum that has interchangable shells. i have brass and maple inserts for mine. i would like to buy a mahogany shell and some kind of exotic wood shell for it too. depending on what shell you buy it with they are about 350-400 bucks and the different shell run anywhere from 150-200 bucks.
    Thanks funky!

Money is not an issue, I want to get the best.

User Info Menu

well if money is no issue we can do much better. i really really like the dw edge. 7x13 or 8x14. i cant decide wich one i would choose. also the pearl reference wood snares are amazing. 20 ply 6 birch and 14 maple. available in different sizes. they also have brass reference drums that are VERY thick and sound killer.

User Info Menu

Hi drum_chick. I think before you buy any thing as variable as a snare drum you gotta decide on on criteria. Do you want a loud drum? do you play different dynamic levels? rudimentary with sublties and grace notes or mostly just backbeat. What sound are you after generally. tight coffee can sound, fat gravelly sound etc...
    All these things will determine the dimensions and the material of the drum. After you figure that out, every company pretty well offers tons of snares. The sky is the limit.
    Personally, one thing I look for in a snare, is a snare lever that is efortless to use. If engaging the snare takes two hands or leaves a big indentation on your thumb, it is not a useful drum IMO...lol

all the best...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by funkymcstain View Post
    Oh man that sounds like a very nice snare drum, is there anyway you can show me a pic, or send me a link to purchase it, xmas is comin up, and this sounds right up my alley.

User Info Menu

here is a pic of my 5x14 brass free floating snare. i dont use the maple shell alot these days. i really am digging my tama g-maple starclassic right now.

User Info Menu

Very nice man, thanks for posting the pic.

User Info Menu

Nice snare funky, I really love the idea of the free floaters and I'd love to have a play with one in the future.
    jimbolimbo99 Mapex Mafia

Mapex M Birch
    Sabian AA and Paragons
    Zildjian A's
    Meinl Generation X
    Dream Lion
    Trick Pro-1V

My band

My Kit

User Info Menu

Cool

love dat snare funky,,,,,i have pearl free floating maple as primary .....pearl stainless on left side,,,,,DC i agree the pearl options are far and wide and give ya lots of sound options.....i also love the "SPIRIT of 2002" jeff ocheltree sanre,,,,,,LOUD AND HEAVY but it has its purpose just like a ZILDJIAN noble and Cooley,,,,,but pearls are a VERY GOOD option
    "FEEL DA GROOVE & PLAY IT FORWARD..."

"BEAUTY IS IN THE EARS OF THE BEHOLDER ,
    ENJOY IT ALL,,, MY BROTHERS & SISTERS"

COMMANDER & CHIEPH OF
    "PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY"

LEGEND IN MY OWN MIND
    & FORCE BEHIND DA
    "PHX AZ LEGEND OF DA ZYDECO GROOVE VEST"
    (AND OTHER TOYZ) INCLUDING PIZZABOX SNARE DRUM

IT'S ALL ABOUT DA SHOW !!!!!

User Info Menu

Thanks for the advice Funky. I just might get that Free Floater. Blessings......

User Info Menu

hey dc
    what is your main style
    personally my favorite snare i have ever heard recorded was an sjc 18 ply 14X7
    the thing was amazing
    had great dynamics and sensitivity
    and the pop was amazing
    no annoying high pitched overtones
    i loved it
    i got to play on a 14x7 from a different brand and it was very similar

in other words
    i love the sound of medium thick 14x7 inch snares hahaha

but all in all
    what is the sound your looking for??
    Last edited by Kjbakke2; 12-16-2007 at 11:54 AM. Reason: i didnt mean 14x9 oops =[

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drum_chick View Post
    Thinking about getting a snare,... Any suggestions?
    Make sure it's round and makes a buzzy sound.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Make sure it's round and makes a buzzy sound.
    Best advice yet!
    Thats the way, uh huh, uh huh, I like it.

User Info Menu

DW babe
    Keep On Drumming

User Info Menu

Default Very Versatile

Yamaha Maple Absolute ! I've had mine for about 2 years now and this drum is Very Nice it will play quiet jazz,worship and then tighten the snares and it will pop and can be loud ! The quality is 1st rate, the finish is perfect and it plays great right out of the box !! I paid $375 local for it new. If I could only have 1 snare drum this would be it. BUT I know you are a pearl fan so if I were you I would go ahead and get a high end pearl snare drum so when you are ready for a pearl kit you won't have to worry about the snare!
    E Drums !! !

There are no loud instruments just loud players !

Protect Your Hearing !!!!

User Info Menu

Get a custom made one... Pork Pie, Cooley, Dunnett. If money is no object have one built to your specs and not an off the rack (no pun intended) snare. Just a thought.

Stix
    Encouragement = Fertilizer for the seed of desire
    & the flower of accomplishment.

Sonor S-Class -Ash

22 Bass, 8, 10, 12, 14 Rack, 16 Floor
    14X5 D454 Chrome Snare
    21 Zildjian Ride, 21 Zilco Crash Ride, 15 Sabian AAX Dark Crash
    14 Sabian XS20 Medium Crash, 13 Sabian El Sabor Splash, 13 Zildjian A Custom Hats
    10 Paiste Twenty Splash, 10 Zildjian A Splash, 6 Zildjian Zilbel
    Tama Iron Cobra 2X Pedal & Hatstand, Pearl Icon Rack

www.myspace.com/stix51861