Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Which do you use more, Amazon/Ebay or local music shops?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Which do you use more, Amazon/Ebay or local music shops?

Quote Originally Posted by drummerMD View Post
    I'm very fortunate living here Southern California,I'm not too far away from about 3 GC's, 2 S.A's. and all kinds of independent music stores. A lot of competition out here! I'm hearing that G.C. is starting to open smaller stores now. I know the wife of the person who opens new stores for G.C.It's a good source. I don't know if that's good or a bad trend. Seems forcing more on line shopping.I like to try before I buy myself. For hardware and smaller stuff I'll buy online, but cymbals and drums, I like to shop at stores.
    A new GC opened near me recently. My excitement at having a major music retailer nearby quickly subsided once I went into the store. As you said, it is smaller then others I've been to. The selection is limited, and it's hardly worth the short trip to browse. The first time I went in they had NO acoustic sets on the floor to try out! Since then they've added a few, but with such limited square footage it will never be much. I'll go in there if I need heads or sticks in an emergency, but otherwise it will be Amazon, CL, Ebay or anywhere else I find a deal.

Acoustic Kits:
    Ludwig Maple 3ply White Cortex 4 pc
    Rukus Mod Orange Club 4 pc
    DW Design 6 pc
    Tama Silverstar Limited Edition Mirage 5 pc
    Tama Superstar 5 pc
    Tama Rockstar 4 pc
    Gretsch Catalina Ash 4 pc

Slingerland 7 pc

Electronic Kits:
    Yamaha DTX532k
    Roland TD-27, Roland PD-85 (x4), PD-125, KD9, CY-8 (x2) VH-10, Lemon 15 and 18 cymbals
    Roland SPD-SX Sample Pad

Snares:
    Tama SLP Black Brass
    Tama SLP G Maple
    Rukus Santos/Bubinga/Poplar/Wenge
    Rukus Avodire/Maple/Mahogany
    1972 Ludwig Supraphonic

Hardware:
    Tama, DW, Yamaha and Sonor

Cymbals:
    Zildjian A Series, A Custom and K Custom

Microphones:
    Miktek, Audix and Shure

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
    Man, horrible. That sounds like every GC I've ever been into. Service is ROUGH. Best to order online and pick up in store. That's about all I do. Used to be you could walk in and ask for a discount. More often than not they'd give you 10-20% off. Now they won't do that.
    Wow! I wonder if GC days are numbered??

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummerMD View Post
    I'm very fortunate living here Southern California,I'm not too far away from about 3 GC's, 2 S.A's. and all kinds of independent music stores. A lot of competition out here! I'm hearing that G.C. is starting to open smaller stores now. I know the wife of the person who opens new stores for G.C.It's a good source. I don't know if that's good or a bad trend. Seems forcing more on line shopping.I like to try before I buy myself. For hardware and smaller stuff I'll buy online, but cymbals and drums, I like to shop at stores.
    I live about 6 hours (via car) north of you and up here in the Sacramento Valley, the music scene is weak. Unless you drive to San Francisco or visit Bentley's Drum Shop in Fresno, (3 hours one way), there's just the small indie shops or GC. The GC in Sac. is known as the "return depot" for our area so the floor is nearly empty. So sad...

User Info Menu

I live in southern California as well and surprisingly there are no mom and pop music stores in my area. GC is about 10 miles away in the city of Cerritos. They also use the floor space for e-kits and only 1 or 2 acoustic drum sets.The SA moved to San Diego because the owner of the property didn't renew their lease and wanted condos/lofts. Even though Hollywood is 25 miles away, depending on the time of day it could take an hour one-way to get there. Haven't been there in a while but there were plenty of local music stores. Yesterday was my first time using CL and bought some hardware and a piccolo snare. Never done eBay, Amazon, or MF. I have used GC online and Drum Factory Direct.

User Info Menu

We don't have a good local selection....................hopefully one day!

Right now it is Ebay

User Info Menu

I have a local store in my town, but it's very tiny and mostly deals with school band instruments. I'll buy sticks there, and I do send my band students there for rentals and extras. I live 90 minutes from Columbus, so I'll go to Columbus Percussion once every couple of months and pick up whatever I need. For major purchases, I'll mostly likely use Musician's Friend because I have the 6 months same as cash credit deal they offer.

User Info Menu

Depends on price. Usually out of state with no base in my state. I've bought local too.
    Sometimes you need something right then and there.