Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which do you use more, Amazon/Ebay or local music shops?

User Info Menu

Default Which do you use more, Amazon/Ebay or local music shops?

This was something I was thinking about this morning. I have used Amazon and Ebay for some items, but I always try to shop at my local music store. It is owned by a lady who has helped me throughout my musical career, and even though some items are a few bucks more than what they cost online, it is worth paying it so I can help keep a local store open and have face to face contact with people who can help me out if needed with repairs and such.

I also hit up the local Guitar Center at times for good deals.

I suppose we all have various beliefs and methods, I was just curious as to what everyone believes in regards to this?
    Six Piece Mapex Saturn V, Five Piece DW Performance Series, NOS Slingerland Snares, Centent Ardor and Emperor Cymbals

User Info Menu

Default Re: Which do you use more, Amazon/Ebay or local music shops?

I shop anywhere and everywhere. I do like to support local shops but sometimes they don't have what I need. Sure, they can order it, but often for more money and slower shipping times. (I'm talking guitar stuff here)

Now for drums, I almost always shop at my local shop. Dale's Drum Shop here in Harrisburg. Has to be one of the best shops on earth. Beyond well stocked and prices often lower than online.

User Info Menu

Most of the items I buy are used, so I use eBay a lot but I'm also looking for very specific items which would be impossible to find elsewhere.

For the consumable stuff I go to the local store I've gone to for 20+ years which happens to be Cascio Interstate for me. I probably only buy sticks twice a year so I like going and seeing what's new.

User Info Menu

I'm all over the place... just looking for deals.
    But if I'm buying new I work at a music store so I go local!

I like reverb.com also

User Info Menu

I search CL as well as the local Music-Go-Round for used stuff every couple weeks. I also check the local mom & pop music store and GC for deals on big stuff. I also do on-line through MF, Swee****er, Amazon, eBay, DFD and other places. I try to go with local or at least small businesses if possible and the price is competitive. I've been using GC more lately, because I can shop on-line, ship free to the local store and pick it up.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

GC successfully closed all the other shops in town; and the percussion section at that store is a (bad) joke.

I buy almost everything on-line...............mostly through MF (but not always).
    I realize they are associated with GC but they are really good about getting the gear to me quickly and undamaged.

When I'm in Memphis, I like to be able to support the Drum Shop.............awesome place.
    On the rare occasion I'm in Nashville, I like to support Fork's.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

I think it depends, especially what your used market is like.

I try to buy most things used cause drums have no electronics, which means no hidden defects...otherwise, it's the drum store 15min walk from my place, and only when something is really unavailible, I go online.

Cymbals are a try before you buy thing...if we don't support our local shops, we'll all be buying this exact cymbal only at....

User Info Menu

For things like sticks, keys, and the occasional replacement head, I'll buy from the local shop. For big purchases I'll either buy online from the not-local music shop or used from our Ebay equivalent. I don't even bother with Amazon for drum stuff since I don't want to wait for international shipping.
    - Zack

User Info Menu

The consumable stuff like heads, sticks, guitar strings, etc., is almost 2X as much at the local music store than I can buy from GC. That's where they make their profit margin. On the big stuff like guitars, drums, cymbals, amps, etc., they are usually pretty competitive.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Try to use my local shop (Nottingham Drum & Guitar Centre) as much as possible. Then it's a mix of eBay & Amazon
    The Varukers.

User Info Menu

Where ever the deal is the best.

User Info Menu

As I get older, service has become more important to me than just price alone. Example: My local shop has a 6 month return policy on cymbals if you find you don't like what you bought or the sound doesn't fit what you're trying to do. That's not just exchange, it's return. And they still cut a deal on the retail price. How can you not support that kind of customer service?

User Info Menu

It depends ...

• For drum kits, cymbals, sticks, heads, and cases I typically deal with my local 5 Star Drum Shop. I like to hear the cymbals that I am going to buy and they offer great service and support if something goes wrong with an kit order. They also let me take cymbals to gigs and return them if I don't like them. I've been dealing with them for about 14 years now and their prices are competitive with the online retailers.
    • I buy snare drums wherever, as long as the price is right.
    • I typically buy hardware, microphones, stands, etc online because it's hard to find what I want locally. I have bought microphones, stands, and PA equipment from my local GC though.
    • I usually shop Craigslist and local musician buy/sell groups for used gear.

Online I usually shop Sweet Water, Cascio Interstate Music, and Musicians Friend, in that order. I find that their prices are usually close although I will choose the lowest price among them.
    Last edited by dangermoney; 01-09-2017 at 07:19 PM.

User Info Menu

I'm with Marc on this 1, although, when I was still gigging and working out of Jersey, I had a long time friend who owned a music store, so I would get everything from him.

User Info Menu

Don't buy much anymore but when I do it's a mixture. Obviously real stores are visited when on the continent, but some items are brought in through on-line shopping. Most is brought by visitors such as the Shure kick mic I just recieved.

all the best...

User Info Menu

My local indie mom and pop store where I've been shopping for the past 30+ years is being squeezed out by vendors like DW/Gibraltar and the like. I tried to order a 22" black lacquer bass drum hoop and the owner of this store told me he had to have a $500 minimum order to buy from DW/Gibraltar so I was told to go to GC; it might be 5 weeks before he re-orders anything from them.

After driving for 20 minutes, I walk into the Sacramento GC and the place was a ghost town. I asked for the drum salesperson and was told:

"She's at lunch, come back in 30 minutes".

I asked if they had any drum hoops and the guy laughed in my face and said:

"Try the mom and pop music store 20 minutes down the road..."

I'm done supporting my local drum shop. I'm with Marc and I'll shop wherever the deals are which will be online for sure.

User Info Menu

Unless I'm ordering drumsticks or something that I don't need to try out, I go to a local shop. If I try something out there but I'm not ready to buy it yet, I consider it good etiquette to buy from that shop and not online because the shop has helped me and has bothered to set something up for me to try.
    SPLAT-BOOM-SPLAT-BOOM-SPLAT-BOOM-GIGGA-TISH!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    My local indie mom and pop store where I've been shopping for the past 30+ years is being squeezed out by vendors like DW/Gibraltar and the like. I tried to order a 22" black lacquer bass drum hoop and the owner of this store told me he had to have a $500 minimum order to buy from DW/Gibraltar so I was told to go to GC; it might be 5 weeks before he re-orders anything from them.

After driving for 20 minutes, I walk into the Sacramento GC and the place was a ghost town. I asked for the drum salesperson and was told:

"She's at lunch, come back in 30 minutes".

I asked if they had any drum hoops and the guy laughed in my face and said:

"Try the mom and pop music store 20 minutes down the road..."

I'm done supporting my local drum shop. I'm with Marc and I'll shop wherever the deals are which will be online for sure.
    Man, horrible. That sounds like every GC I've ever been into. Service is ROUGH. Best to order online and pick up in store. That's about all I do. Used to be you could walk in and ask for a discount. More often than not they'd give you 10-20% off. Now they won't do that.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
    Man, horrible. That sounds like every GC I've ever been into. Service is ROUGH. Best to order online and pick up in store. That's about all I do. Used to be you could walk in and ask for a discount. More often than not they'd give you 10-20% off. Now they won't do that.
    I so miss when they use to work with you on prices...

And I miss when they hired people in the department that actually played and knew their stuff.

User Info Menu

I live 25 miles from drum center of portsmouth so thats my 1st stop and most used, then I shop craigslist, and then GC/MF.. However my most recent kit is from Amazon so go figure.
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Mostly L&M. The other stores around here are overpriced. Actually everything drums is overpriced here. I'm starting to use Amazon more and more.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

I prefer the local shops when it comes to drums and cymbals. I like to be able to play with the instruments before I buy them. For sticks, heads, and hardware, it's where ever I can find the best deal.

User Info Menu

I'm very fortunate living here Southern California,I'm not too far away from about 3 GC's, 2 S.A's. and all kinds of independent music stores. A lot of competition out here! I'm hearing that G.C. is starting to open smaller stores now. I know the wife of the person who opens new stores for G.C.It's a good source. I don't know if that's good or a bad trend. Seems forcing more on line shopping.I like to try before I buy myself. For hardware and smaller stuff I'll buy online, but cymbals and drums, I like to shop at stores.

User Info Menu

I would love to be able to shop the local music store and support small business, but they dont even try to compete with the online stores.I'd be willing to pay a little more for gear, but if an item is $100 or more? No way. I do a lot of looking on Cl and occasionally make the trip to the nearest music go round, but shopping for new gear is all done online.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Ludwig centennial natural 11 piece
    Gp jungle natural 4 piece
    Yamaha dtxpress3
    Saluda cymbals
    zildjian a customs
    Sabian aax

User Info Menu

Sounds to me retail is going the way of the Do Do bird, the typewriter and the land line!

I live on a small island in the Atlantic. There are no music stores here so obviously on-line is the only way to shop for me. I mostly scope things out on the net and have friends who are visiting bring. Works great for small things. Saves on and air freight and duty too. Fortunately I don't need any more large items.

Love it when I'm visiting the continent and can go into a bunch of music stores and actually "touch" stuff.

all the best...