Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 27

Thread: Apparently I had a fever....

  1. #1

    User Info Menu

    Default Apparently I had a fever....

    Because as a belated Christmas present my instructor gave my son and I our first cowbell with a bass drum mount! He also gave us 3 drum books as well. I put the cowbell on last night, can't wait to give it a go tonight. What a great surprise to start the new year!
    Yamaha Stage Custom 22x16, 12x10, 13x11, 16x16 Cranberry Red 14x5 Ludwig Acrolite (1976)
    Zildjian A Custom Hats, Zildjian 20" A Medium Ride, Dream Contact Crashes 16" & 17"
    Pearl P2002B Double Bass Pedal

    Pearl Masters Studio Birch MBX 22x16, 10x10, 12x10, 13x11, 16x16 White Mist 14x6.5 Masters Studio Birch Snare
    Zildjian 14" New Beats, Sabian 22" AA Ride, Zildjian 16" Medium Thin Crash
    Tama Iron Cobra Single Pedal

  2. #2

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Apparently I had a fever....

    14pc Yamaha Maple Custom Vintage (24pc in total) | 12pc PDP X7 | 9pc Ludwig Jr. | 8pc Pork Pie ZebraWood | 6pc Sonor | 5pc Ddrum Dominion | 5pc Orbitone |4pc Sonor Martini | 55 Snare drums and growing!

  3. #3

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Apparently I had a fever....

    Here's a little something to work on as you get use to your new instrument ..

    [IMG][/IMG]

  4. #4

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Apparently I had a fever....

    Quote Originally Posted by OldeEnglishD View Post
    first cowbell with a bass drum mount.... I put the cowbell on last night, can't wait to give it a go tonight.
    What a pleasant surprise! Congrats to your son. He must impress the instructor! Does the cowbell bass drum mount clamp to the bass drum hoop? If yes, just a word of caution. In my opinion, too much tension on the hoop other than the bass drum claw/tension rod may cause some tuning issues or even stress the hoop to the point of failure.

    The typical bass drum cowbell mount (pictured below) will attach between two tuning lugs. With the amount of torque needed to keep the cowbell securely in place during play, it could stress the horizontal grain pattern within the hoop plies and the end result may not be positive.




    I cracked a defective bass drum hoop by merely trying to tune it.




    Apparent dry pocket within the plies.





    An alternative method of mounting a cowbell with close proximity to the bass drum is to use a boom arm that's intended for cymbal duty. Simply remove the wing nut and cymbal sleeve and the cowbell should be able to slide down the shaft of the tilter.


    Last edited by late8; 01-12-2017 at 11:10 AM.

  5. #5

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Apparently I had a fever....

    ^I also agree with this.
    I don't recommend bass drum hoop mounted cow bells.
    14pc Yamaha Maple Custom Vintage (24pc in total) | 12pc PDP X7 | 9pc Ludwig Jr. | 8pc Pork Pie ZebraWood | 6pc Sonor | 5pc Ddrum Dominion | 5pc Orbitone |4pc Sonor Martini | 55 Snare drums and growing!

  6. #6

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Apparently I had a fever....

    Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    What a pleasant surprise! Congrats to your son. He must impress the instructor! Does the cowbell bass drum mount clamp to the bass drum hoop? If yes, just a word of caution. In my opinion, too much tension on the hoop other than the bass drum claw/tension rod may cause some tuning issues or even stress the hoop to the point of failure.

    The typical bass drum cowbell mount (pictured below) will attach between two tuning lugs. With the amount of torque needed to keep the cowbell securely in place during play, it could stress the horizontal grain pattern within the hoop plies and the end result may not be positive.




    I cracked a defective bass drum hoop by merely trying to tune it.




    Apparent dry pocket within the plies.





    An alternative method of mounting a cowbell with close proximity to the bass drum is to use a boom arm that's intended for cymbal duty. Simply remove the wing nut and cymbal sleeve and the cowbell should be able to slide down the shaft of the tilter.


    Thank you for this, I will look into the boom arm method. Our instructor is awesome, have known him for years but just started lessons in August. He burned all of his books onto a thumb drive for us so we don't have to buy anything for lessons, has loaned us DVDs, shakers, etc. all the time. Great player and a super all around guy. We are really lucky to be his students. My son really enjoys the lessons and is having so much fun on the drums!
    Yamaha Stage Custom 22x16, 12x10, 13x11, 16x16 Cranberry Red 14x5 Ludwig Acrolite (1976)
    Zildjian A Custom Hats, Zildjian 20" A Medium Ride, Dream Contact Crashes 16" & 17"
    Pearl P2002B Double Bass Pedal

    Pearl Masters Studio Birch MBX 22x16, 10x10, 12x10, 13x11, 16x16 White Mist 14x6.5 Masters Studio Birch Snare
    Zildjian 14" New Beats, Sabian 22" AA Ride, Zildjian 16" Medium Thin Crash
    Tama Iron Cobra Single Pedal

  7. #7

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Apparently I had a fever....

    Quote Originally Posted by jedi View Post
    Here's a little something to work on as you get use to your new instrument ..

    [IMG][/IMG]
    I don't care who you are, that right there is funny!
    Yamaha Stage Custom 22x16, 12x10, 13x11, 16x16 Cranberry Red 14x5 Ludwig Acrolite (1976)
    Zildjian A Custom Hats, Zildjian 20" A Medium Ride, Dream Contact Crashes 16" & 17"
    Pearl P2002B Double Bass Pedal

    Pearl Masters Studio Birch MBX 22x16, 10x10, 12x10, 13x11, 16x16 White Mist 14x6.5 Masters Studio Birch Snare
    Zildjian 14" New Beats, Sabian 22" AA Ride, Zildjian 16" Medium Thin Crash
    Tama Iron Cobra Single Pedal

  8. #8

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Apparently I had a fever....

    Quote Originally Posted by OldeEnglishD View Post
    Thank you for this, I will look into the boom arm method. Our instructor is awesome, have known him for years but just started lessons in August. He burned all of his books onto a thumb drive for us so we don't have to buy anything for lessons, has loaned us DVDs, shakers, etc. all the time. Great player and a super all around guy. We are really lucky to be his students. My son really enjoys the lessons and is having so much fun on the drums!
    You're welcome and good luck on the lessons. The lessons on a thumb drive is so "Today". I still have the paper versions of most of my lessons but the thumb drive is a great idea! Thank you!!

  9. #9

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Apparently I had a fever....

    Quote Originally Posted by jedi View Post
    Here's a little something to work on as you get use to your new instrument ..

    [IMG][/IMG]
    Ooooooh !
    Tough chart..........
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)


  10. #10

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Apparently I had a fever....

    Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
    Ooooooh !
    Tough chart..........
    Looks like Zappa's dreaded "Black Page"

  11. #11

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Apparently I had a fever....

    it's not funny for guitar players because they cant read notes!
    Last edited by jgziegler; 01-12-2017 at 12:45 PM.

  12. #12

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Apparently I had a fever....

    Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
    Ooooooh !
    Tough chart..........
    It doesn't notate which are L and which are R....
    Also, are we to assume it's in 4/4?
    -Brian

    "Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

    Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

    "I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

  13. #13

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Apparently I had a fever....

    Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    It doesn't notate which are L and which are R....
    Also, are we to assume it's in 4/4?
    If it is in 4/4, most drummers don't know how to count to 4!

    Let's see here, 1... 2... 3... errr, uh... Damn!
    Stolen from EddieV:
    Boom, ching, boom boom ching, fuggadugga fuggadugga fuggadugga crash. Rinse, Repeat ad-nauseum.

    Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Come on Mark. You steal copy. Just look at your signature.
    Quote Originally Posted by Texdrumr View Post
    Nothing says 'tough' like a drummer with ducklings on his drums. Ha!

  14. #14

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Apparently I had a fever....

    Agreed with not mounting the cowbell on the bass drum hoop.
    There are percussion boom arms as well. The advantage with those instead of using a cymbal boom arm is the surface is more rough and will allow the cowbell to grip better. I use cymbal arms for some percussion items and they hold great though, so it just depends on the specific mounting system the bell has and the smoothness of the arm.
    There are also percussion clamps that attach to a stand or arm, so you can position it by clamping it off one of your tom arms or something like that.

  15. #15

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Apparently I had a fever....

    Quote Originally Posted by pcs90 View Post
    Agreed with not mounting the cowbell on the bass drum hoop.
    There are percussion boom arms as well. The advantage with those instead of using a cymbal boom arm is the surface is more rough and will allow the cowbell to grip
    This wouldn't work for me. Every drummer's situation is different due to set up preferences. I need to boom mine in to have it right under my ride and I have no issues with it slipping on the smooth tilter. I have spare cymbal boom arms I wasn't using so I put one to good use.





    The cowbell on the boom arm is discreetly hidden from view from out front.

    Last edited by late8; 01-17-2017 at 10:10 AM.

  16. #16

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Apparently I had a fever....

    Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    This wouldn't work for me. Every drummer's situation is different due to set up preferences. I need to boom mine in to have it right under my ride and I have no issues with it slipping on the smooth tilter. I have spare cymbal boom arms I wasn't using so I put one to good use.



    Yes, just like that except where the cymbal post is, there's a percussion rod. Some allow you to adjust the height of the rod as well so if you need to mount something low, it won't get in the way of anything above it.
    And yeah, I have some tambourines mounted on little cymbal arms (Tama LCYE) and they work great. It really depends on the accessory. Now that most of them use an eyebolt to attach to a rod rather than just a wing screw, they hold on much better.

  17. #17

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Apparently I had a fever....

    Quote Originally Posted by OldeEnglishD View Post
    Because as a belated Christmas present my instructor gave my son and I our first cowbell with a bass drum mount! He also gave us 3 drum books as well. I put the cowbell on last night, can't wait to give it a go tonight. What a great surprise to start the new year!


    With all due respects, if a cowbell is the highlight of your day, you might be missing out on a few things.

    If they are supposed to be on a drum set, they would be called a drumbell. They are called a cowbell for a reason.

  18. #18

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Apparently I had a fever....

    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    With all due respects, if a cowbell is the highlight of your day, you might be missing out on a few things.

    If they are supposed to be on a drum set, they would be called a drumbell. They are called a cowbell for a reason.
    He and his son are just starting out so give them a break and quit being such a troll. Just get in, buckle up and hang on!

    Last edited by late8; 01-13-2017 at 10:21 AM.

  19. #19

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Apparently I had a fever....

    Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    He and his son are just starting out so give them a break and quit being such a troll. Just get in, buckle up and hang on!

    Yep, understand G.A.S. already! When I got the kit I told the wife it wouldn't need anything for a while, what a mistake that was! Already replaced the hats and ride with Zildjian A's and we are about to add a couple of new crashes to replace the ZBT crash on the kit. The wife was ticked at first, but she sees us playing every day and now my youngest son is into drumming too (got him a jr kit for Christmas), so at least she knows we are using what we buy.
    Yamaha Stage Custom 22x16, 12x10, 13x11, 16x16 Cranberry Red 14x5 Ludwig Acrolite (1976)
    Zildjian A Custom Hats, Zildjian 20" A Medium Ride, Dream Contact Crashes 16" & 17"
    Pearl P2002B Double Bass Pedal

    Pearl Masters Studio Birch MBX 22x16, 10x10, 12x10, 13x11, 16x16 White Mist 14x6.5 Masters Studio Birch Snare
    Zildjian 14" New Beats, Sabian 22" AA Ride, Zildjian 16" Medium Thin Crash
    Tama Iron Cobra Single Pedal

  20. #20

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Apparently I had a fever....

    Quote Originally Posted by OldeEnglishD View Post
    Yep, understand G.A.S. already! When I got the kit I told the wife it wouldn't need anything for a while, what a mistake that was! Already replaced the hats and ride with Zildjian A's and we are about to add a couple of new crashes to replace the ZBT crash on the kit. The wife was ticked at first, but she sees us playing every day and now my youngest son is into drumming too (got him a jr kit for Christmas), so at least she knows we are using what we buy.
    My wife got ticked too when I told her my last kit was it! Then I came home with 3 Zildjian K cymbals and a set of hats. Great minds think alike lol!!

  21. #21

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Apparently I had a fever....

    Quote Originally Posted by OldeEnglishD View Post
    Yep, understand G.A.S. already! When I got the kit I told the wife it wouldn't need anything for a while, what a mistake that was! Already replaced the hats and ride with Zildjian A's and we are about to add a couple of new crashes to replace the ZBT crash on the kit. The wife was ticked at first, but she sees us playing every day and now my youngest son is into drumming too (got him a jr kit for Christmas), so at least she knows we are using what we buy.
    Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    My wife got ticked too when I told her my last kit was it! Then I came home with 3 Zildjian K cymbals and a set of hats. Great minds think alike lol!!
    As long as you both have been married, you should know how to deal with it by now. When you DO figure it out, let me know.....cause after 19yrs, I still don't know.
    -Brian

    "Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

    Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

    "I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

  22. #22

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Apparently I had a fever....

    Here's how the cowbell is set today:







    Last edited by late8; 01-24-2017 at 09:47 AM.

  23. #23

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Apparently I had a fever....

    "He and his son are just starting out so give them a break and quit being such a troll. Just get in, buckle up and hang on!"


    I apologize for the smarta$$ remark about the cowbell that I made earlier. I shouldn't have made it and it was stupid to do so.

    I wish you and your son much luck in the journey to learn the drums. There is great satisfaction in doing something on a set of drums that you couldn't do a month before and that happens on a regular basis when you are learning a unique instrument, which drums are.

    I've been playing for 60 years and I still learn new things. So, again, I do apologize for the remark and wish you luck in the learning process.

  24. #24

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Apparently I had a fever....

    I can't understand why it's impossible to find a cowbell mount with proper padding to protect the hoop. All you can find is bare metal.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

    -Mike

  25. #25

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Apparently I had a fever....

    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    "He and his son are just starting out so give them a break and quit being such a troll. Just get in, buckle up and hang on!"


    I apologize for the smarta$$ remark about the cowbell that I made earlier. I shouldn't have made it and it was stupid to do so.

    I wish you and your son much luck in the journey to learn the drums. There is great satisfaction in doing something on a set of drums that you couldn't do a month before and that happens on a regular basis when you are learning a unique instrument, which drums are.

    I've been playing for 60 years and I still learn new things. So, again, I do apologize for the remark and wish you luck in the learning process.

    No offense was taken Rick, I am somewhat of a smart *** so I try to give a lot of leeway to others as well. I do agree that it is a fun journey, it is amazing how much my son and I have learned in a few months. Wow 60 years of playing, I really am jealous of that!
    Yamaha Stage Custom 22x16, 12x10, 13x11, 16x16 Cranberry Red 14x5 Ludwig Acrolite (1976)
    Zildjian A Custom Hats, Zildjian 20" A Medium Ride, Dream Contact Crashes 16" & 17"
    Pearl P2002B Double Bass Pedal

    Pearl Masters Studio Birch MBX 22x16, 10x10, 12x10, 13x11, 16x16 White Mist 14x6.5 Masters Studio Birch Snare
    Zildjian 14" New Beats, Sabian 22" AA Ride, Zildjian 16" Medium Thin Crash
    Tama Iron Cobra Single Pedal

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •