Thread: Zildjian L80 Low Volume Cymbals

User Info Menu

Default Zildjian L80 Low Volume Cymbals

I am interested in learning more about these as a possible practice tool. Specifically, I would like to learn more about the 14" hats, 18" crash, and 20" ride at a minimum, and the 16" crash as an optional add on.

Does anyone here use these? Is the feel really similar to the real deal? Do the honeycomb patterned holes get in the way of the sticks? Any other thoughts?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Zildjian L80 Low Volume Cymbals

i had a full set of Gen 16's for a while - pretty much the same thing as the L80s. The 14" hats will feel very much like regular acoustic hats as will the ride and crashes.
    They all have a more light, soft feel but that's not a bad thing for practice cymbals. The sound is greatly reduced but don't expect them to sound just like regular cymbals but quieter - there isn't much meat on them so the sound is very thin. But for practice you're looking for feel and volume. L80s do that very well.

User Info Menu

Thanks, G-man. From your description it looks like these will fit the bill perfectly.

How is the durability? Did you notice any limitations on how hard you could strike them before they started to lose their shape (bend or dent) or did they retain their shape like real cymbals regardless of how you struck them?

User Info Menu

I never had a problem but I'm not a basher either. I used them for almost two years and they looked new when I sold them.

User Info Menu

I'm not a basher either so I guess they're good to go for me.

Thanks for the info ...

User Info Menu

I have them with Aquarian super pads and it is an excellent solution. I have the13/16/18 set but am looking into the 14 hats and 20 ride.

The L80's feel is very close to regular cymbals, the weight being the biggest difference.
    Jesse

1986 Tama Crestar - Lacquered Piano White
    2016 Roland TD-25K
    2015 Tama Starclassic B/B - Indigo Blue Sparkle

User Info Menu

Spaz uses 2 sets on practice kit if I can remember correctly. They seem pretty cool.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

Thanks everyone ...

I'm working on putting together a low volume "acoustic" practice kit and from your comments it sounds like the L80's will work perfectly for this. At this point, my plan is to get the 14/16/18 set and add the 20 inch ride.

I know it's off topic, but how do the Remo Silent Stroke heads feel? Do they kinda feel like the mesh heads on the E-Kits? Or are they closer in feel to the normal Mylar heads?

Thanks again everyone!
    Last edited by dangermoney; 01-14-2017 at 10:50 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dangermoney View Post
    Thanks everyone ...

I'm working on putting together a low volume "acoustic" practice kit and from your comments it sounds like the L80's will work perfectly for this. At this point, my plan is to get the 14/16/18 set and add the 20 inch ride.

I know it's off topic, but how do the Remo Silent Stroke heads feel? Do they kinda feel like the mesh heads on the E-Kits? Or are they closer in feel to the normal Mylar heads?

Thanks again everyone!
    Ive tried them and i think they are kinda garbage to be honest, extremely bouncy, like hitting a trampoline.

Honestly, you could save yourself a lot of money and just put mutes on your kit (or get an ekit). In the end, you are not going to be playing on a "real" kit anyway, so option 1, go cheap and put on mutes. Not only do you save money, but you essentially play on your kit. Option 2, buy an ekit, which is more expensive, BUT if you become so inclined, you can add part of it to your normal kit. Just my opinion, but buying a kit to make it a silent practice kit seems to me to be a middle way, which gives you more of the disadvantages of each without the advantages.

For the record, I practice at home, in my apartment (european one, so the walls are made of thick brick) on an ekit and use a real ride and hats. ZERO complaints, besides from my cat
    Yamaha DTX 500 module
    Anatolian Kappadokia 14" Rock High Hats
    Sabian El Sabor 20" Ride
    Zildjian A 18" Crash Ride
    Istanbul Agop 16" Trash Hit
    1950's Zildjian 14" Splash/light crash
    Istanbul 8" Splash (pre 1997)
    Mapex Black Panther Steel Piccolo
    1965 Premier 3 piece 10, 16, 22

User Info Menu

jgziegler,

I already have a Roland e-kit which I have been using for practice for the last 5 years or so. I find it useful for learning songs as I can patch my Walkman into it and play along with mp3s but, for me, I don't find it very useful for really "practicing" because of the artificial rebound, the close proximity of the pads and cymbals, and the difference in configuration between it and my normal a-kit. It works but I'm contemplating moving up to something "better".

I have other acoustic kits besides my gigging kit and I am thinking about turning one of them into a low volume a-kit that I can use for practicing. I already have all the components - drums, hardware, pedals, seat, etc - all I need to do is add the L80s and some Remo Silent Strokes and I'm golden. The a-kit configuration would be very close to that of my normal a-kit but without the unnecessary volume.

I've used mutes in the past and I find them to lack rebound. My concern is that the Remos will give me too much. I need to find something "in between" that offers reduced volume but retains some of the feel of regular heads.

I am also thinking about converting a spare a-kit into a triggered e-kit and micing the L80s ...

I appreciate your insight and feedback ... thanks ...
    Last edited by dangermoney; 01-14-2017 at 01:20 PM.

User Info Menu

I converted an acoustic kit to an e-kit and really liked playing it. Had Silent Strokes and Gen 16s. I found if you crank the SS heads tighter they feel more like regular heads. They're still mesh and they'll still give you more rebound than a standard head but they work pretty well for a low volume practice kit. I've tried mutes and I think they're really dead feeling. You're going to have to make some compromises to get a low volume kit. In my opinion, Silent Strokes and L80s are the best way to build one out.

User Info Menu

G-man, I believe that I'm going to go the route you went and give the L80s and Silent Strokes a shot. I value your input being that you've been there and done it with good results. Thank you.

User Info Menu

Cut up an old towel and tape pieces of it to your existing cymbals and save yourself some money.

User Info Menu

My Sonor kit (one in front) has TWO sets of L80 Cymbals on it.

I had one set (ride crash hi-hat) and it just didn't feel real enough.
    So I bought a second set and now I love it. Great practice setup.

here found a better photo
    Last edited by SpazApproved; 01-16-2017 at 08:16 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    My Sonor kit (one in front) has TWO sets of L80 Cymbals on it.

I had one set (ride crash hi-hat) and it just didn't feel real enough.
    So I bought a second set and now I love it. Great practice setup.

here found a better photo
    Spaz, that's a very nice setup. This is pretty much what I'm looking to do myself but with a smaller kit.

I see that you're using the Gibraltar kick pad instead of a kick drum with a mesh head. I currently use the Gibraltar kick pad as a practice tool myself and I am considering using it as part of the kit as well. Did you opt out of using the mesh kick because you found that the feel of the mesh head was a bit too spongy and/or soft on the pedal compared to the kick pad?

Are you using the L80 18" crash/ride as a ride? Have you tried the 20" ride? Is there a major difference in feel between the two?

What types of mesh heads are those? Are they two-ply versus one-ply? Do they feel better than the Silent Strokes?

Thanks for your input ...
    Last edited by dangermoney; 01-16-2017 at 10:12 AM.

User Info Menu

I'm using the kick pad because the mesh head didn't hold up and my beater went right through it...

I'm using cheap Percussion Plus mesh heads. Single ply.
    I've never used the silent stroke so I can't make a comparison.

As far as cymbals I'm using one of the one of the ride cymbals as a crash and it works just fine. They were two matching cymbal packs

User Info Menu

If you use a SS on the kick, make sure you use a plastic beater. Any felt beater will chew up the mesh head.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by G-man View Post
    If you use a SS on the kick, make sure you use a plastic beater. Any felt beater will chew up the mesh head.
    Thanks, I read about that ... or I could put a Gibraltar click pad on it. That's what I do with the Gibraltar kick practice pad to prevent the beater from chewing up the pad.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dangermoney View Post
    ... or I could put a Gibraltar click pad on it.
    Won't stick well on the mesh. It'll fall off pretty quickly.

User Info Menu

I've tried several different ways...........but ended up with Pearl E-pro heads and gen16 cymbals.............the closest I have found to "real"

The E pro heads are not as "bouncy" as mesh heads and have held up very well............Been using them for two years with no issues

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by longgun View Post
    I've tried several different ways...........but ended up with Pearl E-pro heads and gen16 cymbals.............the closest I have found to "real"

The E pro heads are not as "bouncy" as mesh heads and have held up very well............Been using them for two years with no issues
    Thanks for the info on the E pro heads. I will definitely check them out.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by longgun View Post

So now your acoustic is a full electronic.
    Looks expensive lol
    But super nice