Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Floor tom

User Info Menu

Default Re: Floor tom

Quote Originally Posted by noreastbob View Post
    I play a floor bass drum and all my stands are floor stands. I play a mounted snare, toms, and mounted cymbals.
    Semantics...
    FWIW, to me, any tom 14" and over, not above a bass drum, with its heads in a plane roughly parallel to the floor is a floor tom. I don't care what holds it in the air.
    Forgive me Spaz, and anyone who may be offended... I was being a bit facetious in response to those holding the opinion that floor toms can only be supported off the floor by roughly vertical metal struts. My dws are flown too, it's the purist in me. I like having the max resonant sustain with the option to dampen to suit rather than any inherent limitations, regardless of how slight they may be.
    When I ordered my kit, Justin at Cadence in Rochester,NY, where I was at the time, told me repeatedly, "No, don't suspend them! That's passe, put 'em on legs." But I stuck to my guns. Many say it's easier to set-up and adjust the FT positioning with legs, but honestly, with memory locks I find it much easier to assemble than inserting six legs at the right height. If I need to adjust the angle to the rest of the set, I just grab the tripod stand legs and twist/tweek the position of the stand. Added bonus... there's a clamp for yet another cymbal. Can't have too many of them!

User Info Menu

DW's John Good decided no floor toms for a series of kits his company produced back in 2007. As a drummer who always played with a 16x16" floor tom with legs, I had to get use to mounting a 9x12" and 10"x14" rack tom down low as if they were legit floor toms. I could never get comfortable with the positioning of both drums.

ride20side_zpsxzgvmdbi.jpg

I grew tired of having to mount two rack toms down low so I ditched the 8" rack tom and mounted 10,12,14 up top and bought a mis-matched used DW floor tom with legs. I'm happy now!

D8E34647-4F81-42D5-B4DC-BA4DB7251999_zpsp2lqnxym.jpg

DB7ECADD-1A85-4353-BC8B-B95C62D18BF1_zpsclhzscq8.jpg

E5E7B98F-86F5-4DD4-A49F-56201C5F07DE_zpsx2qebxt1.jpg
    Last edited by late8; 12-13-2017 at 10:19 AM.

User Info Menu

I've never seen a hairs width of difference in time, weight, or space, or tone in having legs as opposed to mounting to a cymbal stand or something.

In the end if it tastes like chicken, just gimme the chicken......Legs all the way!

all the best...

User Info Menu

hahahaha that chicken reference lol

User Info Menu

Kay-gee, your "argument" certainly has legs! (insert vaudevillian flam crash) I guess there's pros and cons to both approaches. Stipulating two floor toms, carrying six legs is much lighter and easier than packing a double tom stand. And I always liked the solid feel of a FT on legs. It's almost like the tom hits back at your stick.
    However I always fought with getting all six legs at the right height to achieve the angles I wanted for those drums.
    If I only ran one FT it would be on legs...but:
    With dual FTs on a memory-locked stand I just slip 'em on the rods and position the stand. Done.
    Is there a difference in tone? In almost all circumstances, I'd say yes. Is it huge. Most of the time, I'd say no. There's likely as much or more difference due to the holes and weight of the leg clamps on the shell as there is due to the lack of direct anchoring to the floor.
    In the end, like I said above, it's a "purist" decision on my part. If I was still on the road, I might consider legs left telescoped on the drums with a magic marker line for each height as long as they fit in the cases which used to work just fine, Just to save weight and floor space.
    My kit only leaves the house a few times a year now days so I chose less holes and shell impingement and suspension. Just a personal choice dictated by circumstances and opinions.
    Wanna trade weather today?

User Info Menu

If I only ran one FT it would be on legs...but:
    and aye...there's the rub (Shakespeare)

I only play one floor and only one right side cymbal, so legs is just way easier for me.

all the best...

User Info Menu

image.jpg{IMG]https://www.drumchat.com/attachment.php?attachmnet}

Here I am useing two concert toms a 14" and 16" as floor toms with a Tama low double tom stand. I have a rims on the 16" and a regular Ludwig mount on the 14". I used a Gilbralter 9.5mm ball mount for the Ludwig mount. I also have a 15" concert tom with a rims mount I can also use. The 16" is a 1974 concert tom. Also the 15". The 14" shown is a 1981. 81 is a six ply maple, 16" and 15" not shown, are three ply 1974. I use this stand with my Rogers and Premier sets to hold the 14" toms next to the 16" as a floor tom. Works great. Nice heavy duty stand. One side you can raise if you want one tom higher than the other. The drums are held solid and do not move.
    Last edited by VIbes; 03-14-2018 at 10:38 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dangermoney View Post
    What does one call a floor tom mounted on a bass drum riser with a kick pedal attached? A mounted kick tom?

No. The legs are on the floor, just like the stand is on the floor. All the drums and cymbals are on the floor held by something.
    Semantics anyway, but to me a floor tom is a tom that is next to the bass drum, not over it.
    HWGA moment.

User Info Menu

I agree. Semantics aside, It's still a kick drum just as a floor tom suspended by a stand is still a floor tom as long as it still serves the same functional purpose.

FWIW, I've used floor toms both ways and as of now prefer them on legs.