Thread: Bad news on drums for talent show.

User Info Menu

Default Bad news on drums for talent show.

While trying to fit my drum cases in my small Hyundai Tiburon hatchback. Notice my 22" bass drum case will not fit in the back or the front. The only thing I can do is convert my 16" floor tom to a bass drum again. Which means now I have to take my drums down and reconfigure everything. Instead of 22",16",12,and 14" it's now 16",14",10",and 14" snare. Oh well at least now I know what will work and that I am going to have to make it work. It will not look all that fancy but it will work. Maybe one of these day's I can buy a Sonor Safari kit.

Keep drumming
    Gregg

User Info Menu

Default Re: Bad news on drums for talent show.

When is this talent show? if it is just a one day thing can't you get someone with a bigger vehicle to carry your drums there for you instead of changing the whole configuration. Just sayin Gregg.

User Info Menu

you really can't fit it in the car? not by pushing the front seat forward and putting it in the back? I've never had that problem in the various mini euro cars i've ubered to gigs...

Maybe ditch the case or rethink your packing man, that seems strange you can't fit it in...

User Info Menu

Yea those Tiburon's don't have much of a back seat . Cool little cars tho , wish I had one ! Try this..put the driver seat forward like someone is getting into the back seat . Then recline the passenger seat all the way back , like a bed , and see if that allows you to get the bass in the back seat . I use to do this when I had a Honda civic . If it's only one day and you're going to move the stuff yourself maybe you could leave the case behind ? Or maybe you could get an Uber driver to pick you up and take you home .
    Well..whatever you do or kit setup you use have fun . Everyone's going to be stoked about your playing I'm sure they won't care what your setup consists of .
    Break a leg !

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jgziegler View Post
    Maybe ditch the case or rethink your packing man, that seems strange you can't fit it in...
    ^This.....................
    Forget the case -- wrap the bass in a blankey -- put in the front seat.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

I just thought of something. Maybe I can wrap my drums in bubble wrap. That would give me alittle more room. What do you all think of that Idea?

Keep drumming
    Gregg

User Info Menu

I use to fit my 5 pc set 24 13 16 18, 14 snare (x2) inside my 77 firebird. Stands and cymbals in the trunk. You could probably do it Gregg if you take them out of the cases.

As for bubble wrap... I wouldn't bother with it. Drums are going to get banged up at least a little weather in cases or not. Just keep it under 90 and watch out for pot holes

I've always liked the Tiburon styling even when they first came out.
    Last edited by slinky; 01-16-2017 at 08:11 PM.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

I like it! "keep it under 90" !!!

User Info Menu

What'a wrong with the 16 as the kick?...
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

If the drums are wrapped, why bother putting anything on them? Wrap is is designed to be very resilient.

all the best...

User Info Menu

I think I am going to rethink my packing. As far as wrapping the bass drum up. I would like to add by protecting my Gretsch catalina maple kit one I paid alittle over a$1000.00 for it and second it is the only kit that I have and cannot afford to buy another one right now. Oh and the talent show isn't until Feb. 3rd.

User Info Menu

No matter how you handled the transportation of your kit. I just want to wish you the best of luck at the talent show man. Good luck and keep us informed on how you did.
    Gilles.

User Info Menu

Ask a friend to borrow their vehicle or take you?

And knowing that you play drums buy a vehicle that will haul them lol
    That's why I've always owned an SUV... and a car on the side

User Info Menu

Pretty sure if you give it some thought, there are plenty of options to get it done. Many good options offered in previous posts. Whey does everything seem so insurmountable?