Thread: Tuning a snare drum, specifically.

User Info Menu

Default Tuning a snare drum, specifically.

I really enjoy the sound of my snare drum, but I am still having issues trying to get a good, full bodied crack sound out of my snare drum.
    Also how do I make my snare drum(s) more sensitive meaning stick response=snare response?
    I am mainly interested in tuning my 6.5x14 maple snare drum, I am just trying to get my snare drum to have more body, with a very sensitive, nice cracky pop sound.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

BTW id this makes no sense, I will try and elaborate if needed.

User Info Menu

I think for a crack, you want at least the top head tuned as tight as you can. That should produce a nice dry sound. You can also tune the resonant head quite tight, and it will produce a more pronounced and shorter sound, little resonance though. And then I guess you could fiddle about with the snares for a bit.

Erm.
    I think that might help (or lead you off in a completely different tangent, lol). It's the closest I've got to a crack on my snare drum, so...
    Today, on Ethel The Frog...

Shazane Guest

I think it would depend more on how you have the snare adjusted than the tone of the head, and that should be tighter to get a shorter sound with less resonance, if that's what you meant.

User Info Menu

well i love my batter side tuned to a tension of about a table =]
    (really tight you can lay into it alot too and it wont dent near as easily)
    and i tune my reso pretty loose it allows more of the body of the drum to come out
    also
    i cant stress enough the importance of snare wires
    i recommend these wires or the ones made by dw
    i have the aftermarket dw ones on mine
    and i couldnt be happier

tune the snares loose and slowly tighten
    it should take little to no effort to move your throwoff into the on position
    i know of wayyyyy too many people that over tighten their snares and choke the hell out of their drums

have fun man

User Info Menu

also resonant head plays a big factor
    i love my remo ambassador =]

User Info Menu

these are actually better than the 16 strands
    i just completely grabbed the wrong url hahaha
    "Puresound-Blasters-20-Strand-Snare-Wire"
    but the 16 strands are great as well
    Last edited by drummer; 05-11-2008 at 09:08 PM.

User Info Menu

i to am still trying to do this PDP...

User Info Menu

I changed my snare wires to pure sound custom 20 strand and it made a huge difference in sinsitivity. Perhaps these would help. They are not cheap but it was worth it I think!

User Info Menu

Another thing I just thought of that I did to increase the sinsitivity was increase the depth of the snare bed and re cut the bottom bearing edge after to match. by doing that it gave more room for the snare wires to be adjusted before choking. When they are to tight they choke and sound extrmeally dry, which really decreases the sinsitivity, if that makes any sense to you. I have done a lot of customizing to my drum and it sounds exceptional now. If you would like to know all that I have done just post your interest and I'll post all of the mods. I started with a marginal sounding stock PDP LX maple snare drum.