Thread: DIY Bass Drum Anchor

User Info Menu

Default DIY Bass Drum Anchor

After realizing the "other" anchor is virtually impossible to find, I followed the advice of the smart people here at DC and began to make my own version.

I bought a black milk crate (reflected below) and cut the top 3 or 4 inch band off...............with the square piece I removed, I then cut this into two right angle pieces (about one foot length each side). I then cut about 9 inches off one of those lengths to get a right angle that places 9 inches under the drum and a 3-inch lip in front of the reso-hoop.

Instead of relying on the self-adhesive on the back of Velcro hooks, I glued the Velcro onto the 9-inch portion using A & B parts of 24-hour set epoxy (stuff I use to build and repair golf clubs)..............I'm using the "handle" of the crate to fold the Velcro strip into a loop and glue the Velcro, not only to the crate material, but also glue it to itself to enforce the strength.

Second gluing to occur tonight because I have to wait 24 hours for the first one to set.

When I get finished, I'll see how good or bad it works..............if it works good then I'll clean it up and post photos (it is still in rough-cut form) because I know my description was likely not productive for your understanding.

Last edited by Ricardo; 01-24-2017 at 07:18 AM.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Default Re: DIY Bass Drum Anchor

The system screwed up right when I was posting to the original thread. Did you get my post about the 98 cent parts bin or the 3" plastic window channel at Home Depot?
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

No I made a post about the new bass drum feet. The bass drum brakes.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    The system screwed up right when I was posting to the original thread. Did you get my post about the 98 cent parts bin or the 3" plastic window channel at Home Depot?
    Yes -- I did read that post.
    I looked at many types of plastic bins on-line and while I was at HD...........the milk crate was the most rigid and light weight. The 3-inch channel size was too small.
    I've got 9 or 10 inches of base running under the bass drum............3 or 4 inches of Velcro-hook-strip is on the area furthest under the drum and fixed with golf club glue.............if this doesn't work well, I'll be surprised.
    Testing to occur soon.

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    No I made a post about the new bass drum feet. The bass drum brakes.
    You talking about the K-Brakes ?
    Those look good but I was not convinced they would be a good fit for my old (1977) spurs.
    In addition they are $40 plus shipping..................I spent $13 on my DIY.
    Last edited by Ricardo; 01-24-2017 at 11:21 AM.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian

User Info Menu

How about that non-skid foam padding under the bass drum pedal and bass drum?

or maybe make your own using a bent piece of aluminum stock with foam on top and the non-skid foam on the bottom.

Last edited by Olimpass; 01-25-2017 at 09:27 AM.

User Info Menu

Test # 1 is complete..................

I went home last night and played about 35 or 40 minutes of songs (getting ready for band practice), PLUS went through some intense double-bass practice drills just to see if this new contraption is going to help.

After all that bass-abuse, the drum had crept forward about a quarter-inch................assuming there is that much play in the rug-Velco contact (until bass drum and spurs are settled in), it appears this gadget might work well.
    [Note: that same session would have previously moved the bass drum forward by four or five inches without the new anchor -- I use only the spurs' rubber feet on a drum rug at home because I don't want to damage the flooring.]

I'll clean it up with a belt sander this weekend and post some photos early next week -- by then I should also have played a couple of hours over the weekend for a tougher test.
    Last edited by Ricardo; 01-26-2017 at 09:23 AM.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian

User Info Menu

still waiting for finished photos...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    still waiting for finished photos...
    Coming soon -- I was not going to take the time to make it look decent unless I knew it was going to do it's job.
    Even though it is not the most impressive visual, I will be happy it helps stabilize my bass.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian

User Info Menu

I use zip tie anchors.. They really stick well to short nap carpet or you can screw them in to wood and the bd spikes fit perfectly in the little holes...

Last edited by Xeno; 01-29-2017 at 09:30 PM.

User Info Menu

I've been using KBrakes on mine for about a year now and absolutely love them.
    Six Piece Mapex Saturn V, Five Piece DW Performance Series, NOS Slingerland Snares, Centent Ardor and Emperor Cymbals