Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Would you do it?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Would you do it?

Quote Originally Posted by itchie View Post
    its safe to say 90% of all drumming is having a good taste in drum finishes
    Ebony gloss puts us at the top of this highly-skilled group.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by inthpktplayer View Post
    That's a lot of $$ there for those drums to sound so bad. Might as well have put wet towels over every drum head. At least there'd be an excuse.
    Have you ever used control dot heads?

You need to look at the heads he's using Marc and not blame the kit. Why is it that so many drummer's jump to the conclusion and blame the kit (especially DW Collectors) if they hear something that doesn't suit their tastes? You don't have to answer this, it's just a rhetorical question.

"At least there'd be an excuse..."

Blame the control dot

Last edited by late8; 01-30-2017 at 09:06 AM.

User Info Menu

I knew you could do this my brother.

I have no idea why everybody on DC knew that you could do it, except you.

Now go kick a$$.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    Have you ever used control dot heads?

You need to look at the heads he's using Marc and not blame the kit. Why is it that so many drummer's jump to the conclusion and blame the kit (especially DW Collectors) if they hear something that doesn't suit their tastes? You don't have to answer this, it's just a rhetorical question.
    A little testy this morning? I don't care what the reason or what type drums they are.............I was pointing out that to me they sounded like crap. Quite frankly, I didn't even pay enough attention visually to the video to ID the kit make. I was LISTENING (with headphones) and it sounded pitiful to me. Now that you mention that they are DW's with those heads.........it makes even more sense. That's just my opinion.
    Last edited by inthpktplayer; 01-30-2017 at 09:45 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    I knew you could do this my brother.

I have no idea why everybody on DC knew that you could do it, except you.

Now go kick a$$.
    Thank you rick!! Bish said it best and my wife reiterated this but I underestimate my abilities on the kit. Why?? I tend to pick projects that are within my comfort zone. Most of my time spent behind the kit has been playing classic rock covers that have been around for ages and the tunes are relatively easy to learn and play. Now, throw in a genre that requires power rock playing and it becomes something entirely different for my style and comfort level but I'm always wanted to play "metal". I don't hear anybody telling me I play too loud.

User Info Menu

A little testy this morning?? Quite frankly, I didn't even pay enough attention visually to the video
    Come on Marc...play fair...

"That's a lot of $$ there for those drums to sound so bad"...

User Info Menu

Come on Marc...play fair...

"That's a lot of $$ there for those drums to sound so bad"...
    I have no intention of arguing with you Rich. There are a sh*tload of drums there and you figure he's not going to play a cheap kit so whatever they were there was a lot of $$ tied up in them. I could care less if they were DW, Ludwig, Pearl.......you name it............sounded terrible. Am I a DW fanboy? Nope, but that wasn't the object of my post. Believe it or not. It's ok.

Anyway, good luck with the project. You will do just fine. Never ever underestimate your capabilities.

User Info Menu

Looks like pinstripes on them. I have yet to hear a bad dw kit in person so it is either A) the heads or B) how he tunes or likes em tuned.
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

That's great news Rich! glad it's working out! as for the grip, yes he said you gotta tape your fingers if you use it... ouch sorry about your hand.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

What a turn of events! Good story, Rich.

User Info Menu

Thank you rick!! Bish said it best and my wife reiterated this but I underestimate my abilities on the kit. Why?? I tend to pick projects that are within my comfort zone. Most of my time spent behind the kit has been playing classic rock covers that have been around for ages and the tunes are relatively easy to learn and play. Now, throw in a genre that requires power rock playing and it becomes something entirely different for my style and comfort level but I'm always wanted to play "metal". I don't hear anybody telling me I play too loud.

You take the challenge, then you "fake it till you make it".

I want to know how you can be too loud in metal?
    Last edited by rickthedrummer; 01-31-2017 at 12:37 PM. Reason: ====

User Info Menu

You know, I read some of the comments on Vinny's drum sounding like crap and I say who cares cause this is about late8 and I am sure his kit won't be as big as Viiny but will sound better. Just sayin.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    You know, I read some of the comments on Vinny's drum sounding like crap and I say who cares cause this is about late8 and I am sure his kit won't be as big as Viiny but will sound better. Just sayin.

Well said.
    Stolen from EddieV:
    Boom, ching, boom boom ching, fuggadugga fuggadugga fuggadugga crash. Rinse, Repeat ad-nauseum.

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Come on Mark. You steal copy. Just look at your signature.
    Quote Originally Posted by Texdrumr View Post
    Nothing says 'tough' like a drummer with ducklings on his drums. Ha!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MDK View Post
    Looks like pinstripes on them. I have yet to hear a bad dw kit in person so it is either A) the heads or B) how he tunes or likes em tuned.
    I have no regrets on my last purchase when I brought home my '07 Collectors kit in the standard shell configuration. I got the stock DW heads on now but want to try the Ebony Pinstripes someday. I like the clear Pinstripes but maybe the Ebony series might be the ticket!

Quote Originally Posted by slinky View Post
    That's great news Rich! glad it's working out! as for the grip, yes he said you gotta tape your fingers if you use it... ouch sorry about your hand.
    I'm glad you pointed out Vinny's grip slinky! I'm getting quite used to it now and yes...tape for the WIN!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
    What a turn of events! Good story, Rich.
    Thanks Mark! Guess what?? Our bass player is a huge Oakland Raider fan!! When he dropped by on Saturday he had a large Raiders blanket spread out across the back of his SUV and I noticed he was wearing Raider nation garb. I'm a big fan too but that day I had on my 49er shirt my 12 year old bought me for my birthday last year. He's a big 9er fan and I didn't have the heart to tell him I like the Raider's more. The bass player noticed it right away and gave me grief. Busted!!

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    You take the challenge, then you "fake it till you make it".

I want to know how you can be too loud in metal?
    "fake it till you make it"... Good one Rick, I'll remember that one for sure!! You're right how on earth can you be too loud for head banging metal"
    Thank you for bringing this thread back on track Gilles!! I ordered this today; a custom drum head but I'm a little hesitant to port it? I think I'll keep it un-ported like your reso on your Pearl Masters MCX kit. I actually like the feel of an un-ported reso. I know there's issues with the bass drum mic not being in close mic proximity but I would hate to cut this up. Your thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by Markadiddle View Post

Well said.
    Hi Mark! This guitar player's style reminds of Joe Satriani, one of my favorites. The guitarist signed up and attended the "The Rock n Roll Fantasy Band Camp" a few years ago and had his guitar autographed by Satriani who was the headliner and "main attraction". That's where he ran into Vinny Appice, who was one of the drummers booked for this program. Vinny, at that time, had an ad on his web site offering to sell drum tracks and the guitarist sent in his audio files to Vinny and he accepted the project. He's on tour now and that's where this thread picks up.

User Info Menu

Thanks Mark! Guess what?? Our bass player is a huge Oakland Raider fan!! When he dropped by on Saturday he had a large Raiders blanket spread out across the back of his SUV and I noticed he was wearing Raider nation garb. I'm a big fan too but that day I had on my 49er shirt my 12 year old bought me for my birthday last year. He's a big 9er fan and I didn't have the heart to tell him I like the Raider's more. The bass player noticed it right away and gave me grief. Busted!!
    HA! Man, what a way to end the season, wasn't it? Future is bright for the Raiders though. I hope they stay in Oakland. I don't like the sound of "Las Vegas Raiders".

User Info Menu

I was so bummed out, Carr breaking his leg right before the wild card game NOOOOO!!

Yea right..."The Las Vegas Raiders". I had a hard time saying "The L.A. Raider's when Davis moved them "south". They'll always be "The Oakland Raiders" in my eyes!

User Info Menu

I have no regrets on my last purchase when I brought home my '07 Collectors kit in the standard shell configuration. I got the stock DW heads on now but want to try the Ebony Pinstripes someday. I like the clear Pinstripes but maybe the Ebony series might be the ticket!

I'm glad you pointed out Vinny's grip slinky! I'm getting quite used to it now and yes...tape for the WIN!!!

"fake it till you make it"... Good one Rick, I'll remember that one for sure!! You're right how on earth can you be too loud for head banging metal"
    Thank you for bringing this thread back on track Gilles!! I ordered this today; a custom drum head but I'm a little hesitant to port it? I think I'll keep it un-ported like your reso on your Pearl Masters MCX kit. I actually like the feel of an un-ported reso. I know there's issues with the bass drum mic not being in close mic proximity but I would hate to cut this up. Your thoughts?

Hi Mark! This guitar player's style reminds of Joe Satriani, one of my favorites. The guitarist signed up and attended the "The Rock n Roll Fantasy Band Camp" a few years ago and had his guitar autographed by Satriani who was the headliner and "main attraction". That's where he ran into Vinny Appice, who was one of the drummers booked for this program. Vinny, at that time, had an ad on his web site offering to sell drum tracks and the guitarist sent in his audio files to Vinny and he accepted the project. He's on tour now and that's where this thread picks up.
    I agree with you Rich it would be a waste to port that beautiful logo head but if it sounds better with it then you would have no choice for what sounds the best for recording. Wait and see what the sound man thinks.

User Info Menu

Thanks Gilles! I'll wait and see if it needs a port. If so, maybe I'll use the "O" in the word "Cross".

User Info Menu

I really like the crown. I like it when band logos don't just say the name of the band, but they also have a symbol of the group. It's something that makes them standout. Even if for no other reason than audience members going to the show and thinking, "wow, these guys actually agree on something".
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

OK. So I think I'm a little out of the loop here. You've decided to join this group? A fancy bass drum head seems like a commitment to me. Congrats!

all the best...

User Info Menu

Thanks Gilles! I'll wait and see if it needs a port. If so, maybe I'll use the "O" in the word "Cross".
    Not sure if you can find a port that small. Sorry just thought of it yes you can cause I have seen somewhere that port come in different sizes for snares and toms. Once you get the head I am sure you will make that decision. Love the logo man. Happy for you.

User Info Menu

If it has to be ported, why not go under the word cross? You wouldn't mess with the design at all, you'd get the benefit of porting for mic access, and when the room darkens no one will be able to see the hole anyways. Especially if using a black or blue pillow inside the kick - would go pretty well with the color of the resonant head's background.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Nice artwork on the kick head. Who do you use?

User Info Menu

Rich, I picked up a set of Evans Black Chrome heads for the restoration of my old Tama Swingstars. I'm impressed with their sound on the crappy Luan shells. They're dark & deep, but don't sound "dead". You might pick up one for your 10" tom and try it.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    I really like the crown. I like it when band logos don't just say the name of the band, but they also have a symbol of the group. It's something that makes them standout. Even if for no other reason than audience members going to the show and thinking, "wow, these guys actually agree on something".
    Thanks Russ!

Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post
    OK. So I think I'm a little out of the loop here. You've decided to join this group? A fancy bass drum head seems like a commitment to me. Congrats!

all the best...
    Thanks kay-gee! Yup made the commitment!

Not sure if you can find a port that small. Sorry just thought of it yes you can cause I have seen somewhere that port come in different sizes for snares and toms. Once you get the head I am sure you will make that decision. Love the logo man. Happy for you.
    Thanks Gilles! I think I'll keep my options open but you're spot on. A port right below the word "Cross" if needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    If it has to be ported, why not go under the word cross? You wouldn't mess with the design at all, you'd get the benefit of porting for mic access, and when the room darkens no one will be able to see the hole anyways. Especially if using a black or blue pillow inside the kick - would go pretty well with the color of the resonant head's background.
    Yup! Great ideas Russ! Thanks man!

Nice artwork on the kick head. Who do you use?
    DrumArt. $100+ shipping. Bill does great work!

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    Rich, I picked up a set of Evans Black Chrome heads for the restoration of my old Tama Swingstars. I'm impressed with their sound on the crappy Luan shells. They're dark & deep, but don't sound "dead". You might pick up one for your 10" tom and try it.
    Thanks for the tip Brian. I'll check them out! Here's the head...it came in yesterday and I put it on the Pearl birch Exports for now...will swap out the kit and use the Ebony Gretsch USA 5pc instead...