Thread: Would you do it?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

User Info Menu

Default Would you do it?

I put myself on our local Craigslist here in town as a session drummer as, "willing to collaborate" on original material and I got a call from a producer/guitarist who needs a drummer to finish his CD (8 songs). He built his own recording studio in the neighboring county (2 hour round trip from my home) and the work is all for free.

His music is Christian metal but NOT worship or praise music (let's not go there, I need this thread kept open). He wants me to play like the other drummer on the tracks who was paid for his services but can't continue on due to other obligations and commitments that were made prior to taking on this project.

I was told in the email that I had to match the other drummer's dynamics and try to come as close to his style of playing as possible.

It was finally revealed to me who this drummer is and for those heavy metal fans, it's none other than Vinny Appice, former drummer for Black Sabbath who replaced Bill Ward when Ronnie James Dio took over for Ozzy Osborn. Appice left Black Sabbath with Dio and formed "The Ronnie James Dio Band" or more commonly known as "Dio" in the mid '80's.

About the only thing I have in common with Appice is we share the same tastes in drum finishes.

I was urged by this guitarist to at least audition for the part but the intimidation factor is +10 and I was honest about my apprehension. I don't have Vinny's chops and I was upfront about it but confident I could play the parts well and with passion.

The guitarist wants to jam with me to see if we have any "chemistry". I sent him three original songs I helped write and arrange. It's nowhere near "metal" music but the songs do reflect my skill level and I feel it's some of my best playing. My biggest fear is rejection. I've put myself "out there" several times and the experience has been a positive one but I never seemed to cope with rejection. Well, I think I'm "over my head" and confessed this outloud in the email.

Something deep down inside is saying "I got to get over this fear of rejection and face my challenges straight on" but I've been in this situation before.

If I were to audition, I'd opt to take this and keep the set-up simple which will keep me from overplaying.

My thinking? I got nothing to lose expect for my pride and I've had a mouthful in the past and sometimes it's hard to swallow.

Your thoughts on this?? Again, thanks for your input. I appreciate any help I can get from you wise folks on DC.
    Last edited by late8; 08-11-2017 at 03:18 PM.