Thread: Tuning Woes

User Info Menu

Default Tuning Woes

Hey all,

I've been getting better at tuning as time goes on and I finally dialled in my floor tom (great news to me). I had been trying to get it a fourth down from my 2nd tom, when really it sounds best a major 3rd down. So now I have a major triad with my 3 toms. Some guys had been telling me 4ths are better -I respectfully disagree.

Then comes the snare... I know it is normally tuned higher than the smallest tom (a 12" in my case). Since I have the other drums in 3rds, a 3rd up from the 12" makes sense (major or minor). However, when I tune it like that it's just too high; very stiff and maybe starting to choke up? Anyway I like the feel when it's tuned the same as the 12" tom but it no longer makes sense to my ear!

What's your advice in this situation?
    Something else I notice is that I inherently gravitated to tunings which match my cymbals.
    Taye Tourperformer, PDP Hammered bronze snare, 15" Diril Primitive hats, 17" XPlosion, 10" duo splash, 15" Xtreme china, 22" HHX Omni, 7" cup chime, Yamaha 9415 w. Vickicks

User Info Menu

Default Re: Tuning Woes

If you like the toms where they are, just tune the snare to whatever pitch it sounds good at and don't worry about the tuning spread. Snare is a different animal than the toms. If you need a sound that fits the spread you have on the toms, add a 10" tom.

User Info Menu

yeah the snare drum is all personal preference.

I have deep sounding toms on my PDP kit but I high pitched snare.
    My PorkPie has higher sounding toms yet a lower pitch snare.

I guess this is why I also keep multiple snares because it just depends what I'm playing.

Just get it to what you like.
    I always worry most about snare and kick. Toms are extras.

User Info Menu

I tune my drums in fifths,.....................no.................... .wait...............cancel that. I tune my drums WITH a fifth.

If I get my 3 main drums (snare, 1 up tom, 1 floor tom) tuned to 35-24-36, I can tune the other drums off that and have something to think about while I'm tuning them.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    I tune my drums in fifths,.....................no.................... .wait...............cancel that. I tune my drums WITH a fifth..
    Your confusing "tuning drums" with "getting tuned". Given the choice, I'll go with the latter every time.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Getting tuned has a different connotation where I come from.

I know that Danica can tune a car. I wonder if she can tune drums.

(Not that I would give a damn)

User Info Menu

I respect her for her racing ability and intellect.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by G-man View Post
    I respect her for her racing ability and intellect.

I do too. Not that many people have a intellect like that.

Intellect is used but never seen, so it's nice to see 1 for a change.

User Info Menu

hahaha you guys crack me up. . .

User Info Menu

That's why they paid me the big bucks, and, I STILL HAVEN'T RECEIVED MY CIGAR YET!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

G-man has his own sense of humor. It is different than mine, but just as effective.
    Last edited by rickthedrummer; 01-27-2017 at 08:19 AM. Reason: ===