Thread: Yamaha Stage Custom vs Live Custom--worth upgrading?

User Info Menu

Default Yamaha Stage Custom vs Live Custom--worth upgrading?

I currently have a Yamaha Stage Custom kit. I've been offered a decent deal on a Live Custom kit and I'm wondering if it's worth it to upgrade.

I have a basic understanding of the difference between the woods (birch vs oak), and the other big difference would be that the bass drum on the Live Custom kit is 22"x14", as opposed to the Stage Custom bass that's 22"x17".

I consider myself an intermediate drummer and I've always thought that the main thing that makes a kit sound good is the head selection, so I'm really torn if I should upgrade or not.

Would welcome anyone's opinions on the matter.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Yamaha Stage Custom vs Live Custom--worth upgrading?

Totally worth the upgrade. I've played both kits, and the live custom is nicer in all respects. There is a bigger, deeper, tone from the toms. The hardware is nicer. And the finishes ate better. (Except the matte black, I personally don't care for that one).

User Info Menu

That depends on the price of upgrade I think. The oak drums will likely sound better, but by how much?

User Info Menu

Both great kits, but the Live custom is a definite step up. Especially if you play with a band in a "live" setting. If you just play for fun by yourself and not terribly concerned about the subtle improvement in sound offered by the Oak, then it really depends on the cost of upgrade.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Everyone here knows I'm a TAMA-holic. Give me Birch/Bubinga any day.

However, lately, I've been growing more and more fond of my Yamaha Live Customs. They have a fantastic tonal quality and the 22X14 bass drum is so thuddy. I'm playing it exclusively as of late.

I do like Stage Customs though but as has been said, the finish isn't anything great. I love my black shadow Live Custom lacquer finish.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

i did that same upgrade and couldn't be happier, the stage custom are excellent drums at their price point but my Live Custom are everything I could ever ask for in a kit. so basically DO IT

User Info Menu

Not sure if this is worth your time but I was getting some exercise in the other night and remembered I did some tom work and thought I'd post a couple small segments for you to hear how they sound. This is unprocessed and is raw recording direct from camera. I should get one from my view point. They sound so good.

NOTE/DISCLAIMER: This was not intended for public viewing and I'm not a soloist. Further, they haven't been tuned since last summer. I have had them covered up and decided it was time to hit them. It's also the largest kit I have set up and the most fun to play.

Signature here

User Info Menu

OOooppps. Forgot this one which is posted in the video section but figured I'd save you the time looking.

Signature here

User Info Menu

In your case YES, But me personally NO. I have put much work in upgrades myself on my stage customs,they defiantly sound better than stock after modifying the tom mounts.They resonate longer for sure. My custom Yess mounts, and converted bass drum to virgin bass drum.

User Info Menu

i have a soft spot the the stage custom ...great kit

its a upgrade but its not a huge step like a recording custom or a phoenix

both nice kits, i would try other brands too .pearl masters is a great price point
    Last edited by itchie; 01-29-2017 at 01:31 AM.

User Info Menu

The finest sounding rock kit I ever played was a Yammie custom Oak at Guitar Center in Vegas.

The tone and the punch beat any kit I have ever played.

That includes hi end DW,Sonor and Pearl.

The live series it not quite as good,but I have a soft spot in my heart for oak kits.

Ludwig had a kit with oak plies and it was the sham wow too.
    FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes