Thread: Axis AL Double pedal ISSUES...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

User Info Menu

Unhappy Axis AL Double pedal ISSUES...

Hi guys, before posting this I searched through old posts about axis pedals, and I found some people were having some issues and figured them out or got rid of them. Mind you everyone has heard of Axis pedals and for the price tag you would think that they would be perfect hands down. So I cant get these pedals to deliver any real power, they sound like a slap, my raptors sound like a man punch. I've search other forums on google and I found that others blame this on technique or drummers with little legs (hahaha), but I don't believe this to be the case, I can take a speed cobra, iron cobra, Gibraltar stealth, Mapex raptor, Mapex falcon and they are still louder than the Axis. The axis has superior feel and fluidity and boy is it fast but when your in a room with 4 other musicians and you could barely hear your bass drum that's a big problem. I'd like to know if anyone has any ideas? I've also read about switching the beaters to heavier ones, but I just spent all this money on these pedals...I don't want to buy another set of beaters. I've got tons laying around and it doesn't change much. Ive played with spring tension, batter head distance, footboard height and angle, beater height does anyone have a clue on what I can do?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Axis AL Double pedal ISSUES...

If I'm reading this right, you've tried switching beaters already? I too found the stock beater underwhelming on my X single and swapped in a Yamaha beater. Been happy ever since.

Only other suggestion I have is to play around with the bass drum head tension.
    A simple, elegant design is good engineering.

Axis | Ayotte | Evans | Gibraltar | Ludwig | Pro-Mark | Remo | Roc-N-Soc | SKB | Taye | Vic Firth | Whitney| Yamaha | Zildjian

User Info Menu

Unhappy Re: Axis AL Double pedal ISSUES...

Yes, I've switched the beaters, and on my other pedals I actually use the Axis beaters (been using them for a while, The Axis Marksman) because I don't like felt beaters when playing fast, I like the response of a the plastic vs. the felt. I feel like the felt absorbs to much of the impact. and yes ive played with batter head tension... al thought I don't like to mess it and again, all these other pedals at my disposal and the Axis is the weaker one that's a tough pill to swallow, almost a $500 pill. I want to fall in love with these pedals, but they're playing hard to get!

User Info Menu

I have a pair of AXIS pedals and I will tell you they have ZERO power.

All the speed in the world but NO PUNCH.
    I feel they are best meant for triggered bass drums and speed.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    I have a pair of AXIS pedals and I will tell you they have ZERO power.
    All the speed in the world but NO PUNCH.
    I feel they are best meant for triggered bass drums and speed.
    Makes me wonder about the DW double MDD.
    You've tried it, right ?
    Is that why you are sticking with the DW chain-drive ?
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
    Makes me wonder about the DW double MDD.
    You've tried it, right ?
    Is that why you are sticking with the DW chain-drive ?

I tried it I loved it I can't afford it hahaha

User Info Menu

I have a single Axis and have never used it outside of the house.....for the same reason

As Spaz said...........they probably work great with triggers

User Info Menu

I have axis a and x pedals as well as a set of a21 lasers. I absolutely love these pedals.as well as being fluid and fast , I am able to play with power and volume as well.there has to be something you can do. I would think that swapping out beaters and adjusting spring tension would help. If you have the axis pedals that have adjustable footboard height , I would set them to the Max height .and set your beaters farther back.I wish I could be more help to you.

If those thing don't work, try calling axis. The customer service there is top notch.I had to call them about a minor issue on an old pedal and they were really helpful. Good luck.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Ludwig centennial natural 11 piece
    Gp jungle natural 4 piece
    Yamaha dtxpress3
    Saluda cymbals
    zildjian a customs
    Sabian aax

User Info Menu

Some pedals are built for speed and offer little power.
    These things are great for speed metal drummers that use triggers.

For my taste and for my technique, I would never use that type of gear.
    I am a "heavy foot" and I grew up on Speed King and Ghost.

I am currently using a double Speed Cobra that has been modified with Yamaha conventional medium-firm felt beaters (hated the Tama SC beaters) and the Trick driveshaft for the slave pedal................works beautifully and sounds full-firm-punchy when paired with the Aquarian SK10.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Goro..I had the same "problem" . No guts . The Pearl Demon Drive felt the same . I too tried different beaters and spring tensions and all that . Nothing ! I don't mic the bass drum because the PA isn't mine and most of the places we've been playing we don't need to mic the kick . So I have to push that volume myself . My 13 year old niece who also plays drums didn't like them either for the same reason . I took them back . To me it was just to much fiddling to try and get them to work for me . And in my case all my gear has to carry it's weight , nothing sits around on a shelf . If I can't use it on a gig it goes out the door !
    I get it . I know what you're going through . Maybe it's time to say goodbye to them . It's like a pretty woman who just rubs you the wrong way ... at some point you got to cut them lose ...

User Info Menu

I had the same issues you are experiencing with the Axis pedal and returned mine. I felt the beater was too light and I had to struggle to get any power out of it. I made the proper adjustments (limited) and it still felt like I was using a fly swatter rather than a rolled up newspaper to hit the kicks. I tried swapping out the Sonic beater with my Pearl 4 way and I noticed a huge difference in feel and I could articulate the pedal better but why buy such an expensive pedal to only modify it with a different beater? I didn't have an answer to this so I returned it for standard cam style pedal.

User Info Menu

I'm guessing it's probably a leverage issue with the linkage design/geometry. I can see where balancing the forces for speed and power could be tricky. One of the advantages of a chain or belt drive is the ability to utilize can profiles. I wonder if I could design a gear-drive pedal using non-symmetrical gears that vary the drive ratio through the stroke range. You may be able to get the feel of a cam driven chain with the response & sensitivity of direct linkage. Wish I still had access to a CAD program...
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    I'm guessing it's probably a leverage issue with the linkage design/geometry. I can see where balancing the forces for speed and power could be tricky. One of the advantages of a chain or belt drive is the ability to utilize can profiles. I wonder if I could design a gear-drive pedal using non-symmetrical gears that vary the drive ratio through the stroke range. You may be able to get the feel of a cam driven chain with the response & sensitivity of direct linkage. Wish I still had access to a CAD program...
    I think you could. A matter of gear reduction.

all the best...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    Last edited by late8; 01-30-2017 at 02:07 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    that is one UGLY pedal!
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

OK...That just looks dangerous.
    Maybe a touch over-engineered as well...and it still has a chain drive, LOL
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Red face Re: Axis AL Double pedal ISSUES...

Thanks for all the reply's. Late8 that pedal looks more like a bear trap intended for drummers, wow! I'm trying really hard to like these pedals, so what I'm going to do is use my in ear monitor so that I could hear myself. figure the rest out later or as soon as I get ahold of someone at axis I've tried a few times, but I can't get anyone to answer their customer service line.