Thread: Getting a lot of "bounce back" from my bass drum beater -- what helps with this?

User Info Menu

Default Getting a lot of "bounce back" from my bass drum beater -- what helps with this?

So when I play my small kick I get a lot of feedback from the beater and it ends up just bouncing on the head and inadvertently playing extra notes. I am guessing it has to do with airflow inside the kick.. so maybe a small port is my best option?

Would putting blankets/pillows in there help at all? I am trying to avoid porting because I like the tone I have right now.
    Too Much Stuff.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Getting a lot of "bounce back" from my bass drum beater -- what helps with this?

It's often the tightness of your front head. Could you relax that any without losing the tone you like?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Getting a lot of "bounce back" from my bass drum beater -- what helps with this?

Trial and error. The only way you are gonna find out is to try putting a small 2 inch thick pillow that barely touches the reso and batter head. My bass drum reso is not ported and that is the way I like it and it sounds great. My batter is a single PS3 which is tuned 1/2 turn over crease and my reso is a 2 ply Aquarian and it tuned 1 turn more than the batter and I get a nice deep boom sound and the pedal bounces pretty good. Experimenting is the best way.

User Info Menu

Hmmmm have you tried loosening the spring tension on your pedal?
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

It's going to be hard to fix that without impacting the tone. A port will definitely take care of it but you'll hear the difference. Pillows/stuffing might help some but you'll hear it. Loosening the heads will also change the tone. Do you bury your beater when playing, or use the bounce-back keeping the beater off the head?

User Info Menu

So, how big IS this "small" kick? If it's a 16" or 18", then its gonna have a little bounce-back unless you tune it pretty darn loose. If it's not ported, then it's more of an internal pressure issue. I don't think adding anything inside will help. I've found the added control of an EMAD, Powerstroke, Superkick, etc. batter head will allow for some pretty loose tuning without sounding flappy.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    It's often the tightness of your front head. Could you relax that any without losing the tone you like?
    The front head is quite tight as I am going for that "hiphop" sound, but I guess I could try that.

Quote Originally Posted by MDK View Post
    Hmmmm have you tried loosening the spring tension on your pedal?
    It's not that tight as it is.

Quote Originally Posted by G-man View Post
    It's going to be hard to fix that without impacting the tone. A port will definitely take care of it but you'll hear the difference. Pillows/stuffing might help some but you'll hear it. Loosening the heads will also change the tone. Do you bury your beater when playing, or use the bounce-back keeping the beater off the head?
    I do both depending... but at the moment I can't bury it at all without getting an extra 1-2 stroke buzzing.

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    So, how big IS this "small" kick? If it's a 16" or 18", then its gonna have a little bounce-back unless you tune it pretty darn loose. If it's not ported, then it's more of an internal pressure issue. I don't think adding anything inside will help. I've found the added control of an EMAD, Powerstroke, Superkick, etc. batter head will allow for some pretty loose tuning without sounding flappy.
    18x16. I think the stock head is an evans with a control ring built in, not quite an emad but.. I don't want an emad
    Too Much Stuff.

User Info Menu

I was having the same issue with my pedal on my 23" kick. I tried loosening and tightening heads. The only thing I found that helped was adjusting the beater angle and adjusting the spring tensions. It is no science to it, just time and patience. You will have to play with both and get them right if you have these adjustments.
    1976 Tama Imperialstar Saturn 12+1 Platina6,8,10,12,13,14,15,16 concert toms, 16, 18 floor toms, 2-22x18 Bass drums.
    1971 5x14 Ludwig acrolite snare
    Tama metalworks snare 13x6
    DW collectors Maple Blue Glass7x8, 8x10, 9x12 rack toms, 11x14, 13x16 hanging toms, 18x23 bass, 8 and 12 timbale toms, 5.5x10 Ten and Six All Maple snare, 5.5x14 Supersolid snare, DW 9000 rack system, DW 5002 Double bass pedal, DW 5000 Hi-Hat stand, DW 9000 Snare stand.
    Sabian Xs20 cymbals: 16 & 18 crash, 20 ride, 14 hats, 8 splash, 18 china.
    Zildjian cymbals: 21 ride, 15 hats. All '70's era.

User Info Menu

I was getting bounce with a new Speed Cobra until I swapped out the beaters................I now have conventional medium felt Yamaha beaters.
    Problem solved, at least in my case.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

I would suggest venting the reso head but you may not get the desired hip-hop sound. The DW factory bass drum reso has 6 small vent holes (rather than a full port) punched into the top half of the head. This allows the air pressure to vent out but still keeping the non-ported sound. The pedal rebound it kept somewhat in check compared to a non-ported head and no spring tension adjustment was needed to my pedal to accommodate this type of design.

Last edited by late8; 02-06-2017 at 09:43 AM.

User Info Menu

Just an idea: I was having the same problem. I wanted an unported reso because I like the rounder, livelier tone. But that bounce! So as an experiment I decided to try to port the batter head. It worked. Yes, I did loose a little resonance, but that was restored by using minimal muffling on the front head. The tone I want is still there. You might try this with a spare batter head.

GeeDeeEmm

User Info Menu

^I know a guy who also ports his batter head.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    ^I know a guy who also ports his batter head.
    KickPort sells a bass drum batter port:

User Info Menu

OR.......you could take a 2" hole saw and drill a few vent holes around the shell
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Beater angle is a big factor, the farther back you have it, the faster the beater will want to go back when you hit the kick.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    OR.......you could take a 2" hole saw and drill a few vent holes around the shell
    hahahaha BRILLIANT

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by FlyByNight View Post
    Beater angle is a big factor, the farther back you have it, the faster the beater will want to go back when you hit the kick.
    I am afraid this may have something to do with it. I am using a Gibraltar clip on riser, but for whatever reason, this doesn't actually let the kick pedal his flat against the head, it has to overextend a little bit.
    Too Much Stuff.