Thread: Music Festival Slot

User Info Menu

Default Music Festival Slot

I'm playing at my old school's music festival in March. The age range of the audience is about 5-10 years old. It's nothing big, but I was wondering what you would all do with a twenty minute gap to fill. Anything related to drumming. I've got a pupil that I teach performing a little piece and I'm doing a sort of drum duet with my brother. But that will only take about five minutes. I'm hoping it will promote my teaching a bit. I just don't want it to be repetitive with me performing loads of pop songs for fifteen minutes. Any advice?

Thanks
    SPLAT-BOOM-SPLAT-BOOM-SPLAT-BOOM-GIGGA-TISH!

User Info Menu

Default Re: Music Festival Slot

If you are wanting to push your teaching business and there are a lot of kids there (most likely parents too?), how about a Q/A about learning to play the drums. Every kid wants to be a drummer...every parent dreads the thought. Maybe use the time as an opportunity to ease some minds and gain a few students? Take a set of mutes with you and demonstrate how you can practice at home without disturbing the neighborhood too.

Think of it this way...if you were a parent of a child that wanted to play the drums, and you hated the idea...what would it take to convince you otherwise? Use the time to change perceptions and/or encourage kids to take the first step.

Tex

User Info Menu

Thanks for the help, I'll give that a go

Taras
    SPLAT-BOOM-SPLAT-BOOM-SPLAT-BOOM-GIGGA-TISH!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Texdrumr View Post
    If you are wanting to push your teaching business and there are a lot of kids there (most likely parents too?), how about a Q/A about learning to play the drums. Every kid wants to be a drummer...every parent dreads the thought. Maybe use the time as an opportunity to ease some minds and gain a few students? Take a set of mutes with you and demonstrate how you can practice at home without disturbing the neighborhood too.

Think of it this way...if you were a parent of a child that wanted to play the drums, and you hated the idea...what would it take to convince you otherwise? Use the time to change perceptions and/or encourage kids to take the first step.

Tex
    This is an excellent idea! My parents hated drums and would not support my early desire to pursue drumming. This would be a great way to demonstrate mutes or other methods of quiet playing.
    Emphasis the merits of how counting and subdividing drum phrases can improve math skills and can improve overall coordination and build self esteem. Good luck and please update this thread to let us know how it went!