Thread: out of my head

User Info Menu

Default out of my head

in the song out of my head by fastball,i cant tell what the drummer is doing, it sounds like a fast roll between maybe a tom snare or bass drum while doing consistent 8th notes, and i just cant figure it out, if anyone is familiar, could they please help??

User Info Menu

urgh.... everytime i figure out something new a drummer i hear has already done it. im almsot 100% sure thats all rimshots on the snare. and the fast "tick tick" sounds are just 32nd notes on the off beat. im sure u can figure it out.

User Info Menu

I'm pretty sure it's a RLK triplet on the tom, a couple of bass notes and then a snare...
    Today, on Ethel The Frog...

User Info Menu

wait coke, what part of the song are you not understanding, the bass pedal or the "rimshot" hits

User Info Menu

the part where it sounds like roll

whats RLK?

User Info Menu

Right Left Kick, done in the timespace of a triplet.

User Info Menu

i do that all the time

User Info Menu

yeah and they sound awesome as 6's (which is pretty much like a triplet anyway...kinda) brought up to speed with clear hits on the toms and the bass. Its one of those fills that sounds so complicated but isnt but does have to be played clean otherwise it sounds really bad.

User Info Menu

it also sounds cool if you got your right hand on the floor tom foot on bass and left alternating on the hi tom and snare.

User Info Menu

Listen to Moby **** by Led Zeppelin, because most of the solo is constructed around RLK and permutations of motifs based around it.